GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Location of 'tailgate open" sensor - 93 Caprice

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Location of 'tailgate open" sensor - 93 Caprice Empty
PostSubject: Location of 'tailgate open" sensor - 93 Caprice   Location of 'tailgate open" sensor - 93 Caprice Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 7:04 am

Greetings - new member here. Have a 93 Caprice wagon, woodgrain and white, with 156K miles. It's basically my beater car but I'd like to keep it running as long as I can, to recoup the $1500 I bought it for back in 2007...Shocked

Among some other electrical issues, the other day the "Tail gate open" idiot light came on on the dash, after I closed the gate a bit harshly - not in anger, mind you, there was just a lot of stuff in the cargo area and it was trying to escape. It turns out the latch on the right side that controls the side-to-side swing open came loose when the three screws that hold it to the gate body popped through their holes. I managed to get one of the screws back in with a washer keeping it from popping through. But now the latch that controls the gate opening 'down' is stuck, it won't move at all. And the idiot light is on. I can probably get the other latch to work, but I'd like to know if anyone knows where the idiot light sensor is. The light stays on even when the key is out of the ignition, which is odd, too.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Jim
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Location of 'tailgate open" sensor - 93 Caprice   Location of 'tailgate open" sensor - 93 Caprice Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 8:07 am

The sensor is between the upper and lower PS tailgate latch. Black with a small bent lever.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Location of 'tailgate open" sensor - 93 Caprice   Location of 'tailgate open" sensor - 93 Caprice Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 7:55 am

"PS" means what? I don't see anything between the two latches on the gate. Or is it inside the gate, and I have to remove the plastic shield?

Sorry for the density...I just figured out what "OCC" means.. all I could think ofr was "Ocean County Choppers"..Smile

Location of 'tailgate open" sensor - 93 Caprice Tailgate
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Location of 'tailgate open" sensor - 93 Caprice   Location of 'tailgate open" sensor - 93 Caprice Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 8:00 am

PS = passenger side or right side of vehicle

Switch is inside the gate. Remove that trim panel and the metal cover you'll (barely) be able to see it in there. Wink

And Welcome to Longroof!

EDIT: That light will stay on until the gate is "closed" or the battery dies too. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name

PostSubject: Re: Location of 'tailgate open" sensor - 93 Caprice   Location of 'tailgate open" sensor - 93 Caprice Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 8:07 am

Aha! Thanks...I didn't even think "Passenger Side" 'cause the Wife refuses to ride in the beast, so I'm alone in it 99.99999% of the time. Will attack it this morning.

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Location of 'tailgate open" sensor - 93 Caprice   Location of 'tailgate open" sensor - 93 Caprice Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 4:53 pm

That is Orange County Choppers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Location of 'tailgate open" sensor - 93 Caprice   Location of 'tailgate open" sensor - 93 Caprice Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 5:05 pm

Welcome to the cult! I mean... forum. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Location of 'tailgate open" sensor - 93 Caprice   Location of 'tailgate open" sensor - 93 Caprice Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 6:03 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
That is Orange County Choppers.

See? I told you I didn't know.. lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Location of 'tailgate open" sensor - 93 Caprice   Location of 'tailgate open" sensor - 93 Caprice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Location of 'tailgate open" sensor - 93 Caprice
Page 1 of 1