GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tow package,....what is actually in it?

Go down 
+4
SF SoBay
Sprocket
jayoldschool
Funkwagon455
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Funkwagon455

Tow package,....what is actually in it? Empty
PostSubject: Tow package,....what is actually in it?   Tow package,....what is actually in it? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 02, 2017 11:08 am

I've noticed that my '92 RM has the optional "tow package" installed on the RPO list. This car has a receiver that the previous owner had installed, along with a wire harness mated to the original body harness. This begs the question, What is actually included with a "tow package"??? I would assume that a tow package would include the necessary equipment out of the box to actually tow a trailer... What am I missing? Question Question
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Tow package,....what is actually in it?   Tow package,....what is actually in it? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 02, 2017 1:11 pm

3.23 gears. Maybe oil and trans coolers, but I'm not sure on the 91-93 cars.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Tow package,....what is actually in it?   Tow package,....what is actually in it? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 02, 2017 7:18 pm

the wiring and hitch are not GM installed. Maybe a dealer would have offered, but 95%+ I would say are post sales installs. As for a TBI car,

3.23 gears for sure, maybe a bigger trans cooler built into the radiator. I have two 92 wagons here at the house and one is a tow pack. I will look at them and see. Suspension and such is all the same so far as I know. A g80 RPO is factory posi. which even with a tow pack was still an option although most Tow pack cars would get it but not all (have seen a couple). I know the two TBI tow pack cars I've had both had auto level systems in them too but again pretty sure this is an option and not guaranteed.
Back to top Go down
SF SoBay

SF SoBay

PostSubject: Re: Tow package,....what is actually in it?   Tow package,....what is actually in it? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 03, 2017 12:34 am

With regard to the 3.23 ratio on a tow package:
I bought a ’96 RMW this summer and the previous owner indicated that it had a towing package.  It has a belt drive cooling fan which I assumed would mean it would have a towing package.
Checking the Parts Identification label I find the following codes with these descriptions:
GW9, Axle RR 2.93 Ratio; G80, Positraction; V92 Trailer Provisions; V08, heavy duty cooling system;
There is also a V73 code that doesn’t appear in the GMP/96-B-1 Service Manual.
Am I to assume that “V92 Trailer Provision” would equate to towing package?
What I am curious about is how this vehicle has 2.93 gears and a towing package, if 3.23 ratio is the norm.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Tow package,....what is actually in it?   Tow package,....what is actually in it? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 03, 2017 7:28 am

Towing packages for 94 to 96 LT1's, 2.93 gears are used. Towing packages for the earlier years wagons TBI's are 3.23 gears.

Tom

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Tow package,....what is actually in it?   Tow package,....what is actually in it? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 03, 2017 7:30 am

V92 is indeed the Trailer Towing Package

RPO V73 is USA/Canada vehicle documentation.

The 2.93 axle is the only optional axle (vs 2.56) offered in 96.

The V92 also provided 225/75R15 whitewall tires and the G97 autolevel.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Tow package,....what is actually in it?   Tow package,....what is actually in it? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 03, 2017 10:05 am

I had heard on some, the mechanical fan was suplimented with an additional electric fan. Since I didn't have one, I am not positive on that point
Back to top Go down
SF SoBay

SF SoBay

PostSubject: Re: Tow package,....what is actually in it?   Tow package,....what is actually in it? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 03, 2017 12:35 pm

Wow! You guys know this stuff.

Thank you all,

Bill
Back to top Go down
Funkwagon455

PostSubject: Re: Tow package,....what is actually in it?   Tow package,....what is actually in it? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 03, 2017 3:18 pm

I decoded my RPO list today and created a quick reference sheet for my records.  I found the following codes that could be associated with the tow package (V92).  F40 Suspension System Front/Rear Heavy Duy Variable,GU5 Axle Rear 3:23 Ratio, G67 Level Control Automatic Air, G80 Axle Positraction/ Limited Slip, JA2 Brake System Front Heavy Weight, KC4 Cooling System Engine Oil, V08 Cooling System Heavy Duty, V92 Trailer Provisions....  I'm not sure if all of these options are included with the V92 code, but will assume that a mix of these options are what the factory considered "trailer provisions".  Any other information on the subject is welcome.. Very Happy. Also my apologies for not doing due diligence in researching other threads.., I've noticed today that there is another more recent thread for LT1 cars with regards to tow package options, if moderators feel appropriate, I would not be opposed to merging the info from this thread with the other thread...

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
ayilar

ayilar

PostSubject: Re: Tow package,....what is actually in it?   Tow package,....what is actually in it? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2023 11:02 am

Funkwagon455 wrote:
GU5 Axle Rear 3:23 Ratio(...) Any other information on the subject is welcome..

On a 1994-1996 RMW: GW9 Axle Rear 2.93:1
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Tow package,....what is actually in it?   Tow package,....what is actually in it? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2023 11:33 am

As with all RPOs, the designation only applies to a specific year, model, and context. For instance, an RPO "CO5" convertible roof on a Camaro would have no interchange with an RPO "CO5" convertible roof on a Reatta.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tow package,....what is actually in it?   Tow package,....what is actually in it? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tow package,....what is actually in it?
Page 1 of 1