GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tailgate lock

Go down 
+2
Fred Kiehl
Mattb
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mattb

Tailgate lock Empty
PostSubject: Tailgate lock   Tailgate lock Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2015 12:59 pm

The key for the tailgate lock on my new 96 roadmaster has broken off in the lock. The previous owner said just about a half inch broke off inside the lock. I guess my only option is disassembling the tailgate. Do you guys have any other ideas on how to get it open? The switch in the front doesn't work and neither does the button on the key thing.
Back to top Go down
Mattb

Tailgate lock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgate lock   Tailgate lock Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2015 5:10 pm

I took the tailgate panel off and opened the window. I was messing with the lock and window mechanism a bunch and all of a sudden it worked by pushing the lock cylinder button. Then I tried the key button and the dash button and they all worked. I tried it a few more times and it stopped working. So now it works sometimes. The silver cylindrical thing in there is the solenoid? Can that be replaced? What are the two things to the left of the latch that push in when the window is closed? What else could the problem be?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Tailgate lock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgate lock   Tailgate lock Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 1:10 pm

It could be the solenoid, or it could be the wiring. The button on the gate will only work when the gate is unlocked, and the gearshift lever is in neutral or park. The interior button, and the remote will only work when the gearshift lever is in neutral or park.

I would consider the solenoid first. They tend to get corroded and stop working. You can clean them with some WD40 or similar. You may also have to use some fine W/D carbide paper to clean the slide.

The ground for the solenoid is the frame of the gate, and there may be some corrosion under the solenoid where it bolts to the gate.

You should fish the piece of key out of the lock. It is not hard with a piece of thin music wire. A lock shop might do it for you if you buy a "second" key.

The two pins that are spring loaded are the connectors for the CHSL.
Back to top Go down
Mattb

Tailgate lock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgate lock   Tailgate lock Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 2:02 pm

I got it working. The solenoid wasn't grounded properly so I ran a new ground. Now it works every time. I kept setting it on a bare metal plate on the tailgate and it would work, then I'd set it on the painted part and it wouldn't. That's what tipped me off.

I got the piece of key out and unfortunately the lock cylinder is not working properly. I can't get the key to turn. I tried just about everything. Not a big deal since the three electronic releases work fine.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

Tailgate lock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgate lock   Tailgate lock Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 2:57 pm

Glad you got her fixed, as you now know, those locks are very finicky. Even though the electronic releases are working fine, I would get the cylinder fixed. If the battery goes dead and you have to get into the back of the wagon, your only option is the key. Even if you climb through the car, you would not be able to release the back window and open the door, although a hammer would do it.

I've had the battery go dead and not be able to get in the back, unless I had the key.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Tailgate lock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgate lock   Tailgate lock Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 5:01 pm

If you get another tailgate lock, it can be rekeyed to match your door locks.
Back to top Go down
Mattb

Tailgate lock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgate lock   Tailgate lock Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 6:11 pm

That's what I'm going to do.
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

Tailgate lock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgate lock   Tailgate lock Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 7:43 pm

Thanks for the input I'm having a similar problem with the OCC I bought.
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

Tailgate lock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgate lock   Tailgate lock Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 9:29 pm

I was hoping you were having a similar issue that mine has, when you push the cylinder in, it sticks in there and with the key in there and twisting slightly, the cylinder can be wiggled back out. If they do get stuck in there, the solenoid will keep clicking until its out.

I wish mine worked, its a pain reaching into the front to open the gate.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Tailgate lock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgate lock   Tailgate lock Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 6:53 am

stewzer55 wrote:
I was hoping you were having a similar issue that mine has, when you push the cylinder in, it sticks in there and with the key in there and twisting slightly, the cylinder can be wiggled back out.  If they do get stuck in there, the solenoid will keep clicking until its out.  

I wish mine worked, its a pain reaching into the front to open the gate.

WD 40 works good,. soak it,. then push the lock in,. bang the metal next to it with your fist to help it pop out again,. , repeat as necessary till lock moves freely
Back to top Go down
Mattb

Tailgate lock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgate lock   Tailgate lock Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 7:50 am

Also seafoam deep creep works good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tailgate lock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgate lock   Tailgate lock Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tailgate lock
Page 1 of 1