GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Horn Relay replace?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
dnvrdisc

Horn Relay replace? Empty
PostSubject: Horn Relay replace?   Horn Relay replace? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2015 11:06 pm

Hello all,
Just bought my second RMW and it came with a few "need to fix" items. I've done most but I'm stuck with this one!
The horn didn't work. I found that the fuse had been removed. When I put a new one in, the horn sounded...continuously! I used my shop manual to locate the horn relay...it's in what they call the "convenience center" on the inside of the firewall to the left of the steering column. I found it...but I can't get it out of the socket!!! Is there a locking catch, or a release tab or something that holds it in? I'm sure it's the biggest relay on that block. just above the 2 flasher plug ins. Can anyone help by telling me how to get the darn thing out? I'd sure appreciate any help, as this is in a pretty awkward spot and i'm at a loss as to how to get it out and replace it!
One other thing..is the horn relay a 4 or 5 pin relay? Seems there are 2 available, and until I get the old one out, i don't know which one to get.
Thank you, anyone that may have some tips for me!!!
Bob (dnvrdisc@msn.com) in Colorado
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Horn Relay replace?   Horn Relay replace? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2015 11:21 pm

Hi Bob

Can't help you out with horn relay, but someone will be along.

Still have the first RMW?

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Horn Relay replace?   Horn Relay replace? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2015 8:35 am

The relays can be difficult to remove. They pull straight out.

I would look more toward the buttons in the airbag. They are more likely the culprit. There are 4 TORX screws holding the airbag on, and you can disconnect the bag electrically from the horn by removing the connectors. If the horn is still continuously on, it may also be a worn wire in the column. The horn buttons ground the relay coil to the column.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Horn Relay replace?   Horn Relay replace? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Horn Relay replace?
Page 1 of 1