GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

21ft Hi-lo RV towing with a '93 TBI

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
r67northern

r67northern

21ft Hi-lo RV  towing with a '93 TBI Empty
PostSubject: 21ft Hi-lo RV towing with a '93 TBI   21ft Hi-lo RV  towing with a '93 TBI Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 7:01 am

Hi Everyone,

There's a 21' Hi-Lo travel trailer in the family that needs a home so I'm thinking about taking it on. It's a pretty big girl and would do really well behind a 3/4 ton framed truck ... but I've got a '93 RMW (non tow-pac) and a '90 1/2 ton Suburban.

I don't really want to get rid of either of them just to tow this thing once in a while. So if you had to stick this behind either of the two ... which one would you choose? Here's the way I'm thinking about the wagon:

If I can get a class 3 hitch, it already has CargoCoils, airlifts and a p71 swaybar.

I need to add an external trans cooler (it does have lines to the radiator now). Maybe an oil cooler?

It doesn't have a tow-pac, so it has 2.83 open gears. I might need to change that? 3.23?
It has a TBI, so it isn't exactly overpowered (neither is the suburban, same engine, and heavier vehicle too)

As for the suburban: it would need some rear spring work or load leveling or something to support the load, already has a tow pac, and already has a hitch.

Both need a brake controller.

Okay ... any words of wisdom?
Back to top Go down
Bert Slater

Bert Slater

PostSubject: Re: 21ft Hi-lo RV towing with a '93 TBI   21ft Hi-lo RV  towing with a '93 TBI Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 8:56 am

drink plenty of liquids.
Back to top Go down
redcaddy

redcaddy

PostSubject: Re: 21ft Hi-lo RV towing with a '93 TBI   21ft Hi-lo RV  towing with a '93 TBI Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 10:35 am

My 2 cents worth.
If the all up weight is under 3500-3600 Lbs. I'd use the '93. For more than that, I would opt for the Suburban. The longer wheelbase of the burb, combined with an air bag/ helper spring setup and a load leveler hitch will handle up to 5K easily, with a better, smoother ride and more interior room .

All my Suburban's, after the first one, (the 1/2 ton) were big block motivated, heavy 3/4 ton tow monsters. I routinely towed a Dusky 27 and a Blackfin 29 all the way to the Sea of Cortez, from San Diego.

Towing MPG averaged ~11-13 MPG with the 350/TH400 in My half ton. (Headers and Edelbrock induction) YMMV.

Towing a couple of times a year is no big deal, take your time, smell the roses and enjoy the ride.

If you are an "iron ass", (like me) be good to yourself and family, RENT a proper tow rig and enjoy the ride.

Paul

Back to top Go down
r67northern

r67northern

PostSubject: Re: 21ft Hi-lo RV towing with a '93 TBI   21ft Hi-lo RV  towing with a '93 TBI Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 3:06 pm

Thanks for the input guys - so as for the "drink plenty of liquids," is that for me or the wagon? Very Happy

I think the burb has needed some new leafs in back for a little while now, this is a good reason to get it done, and the hi-lo is over 3500lbs so sticking it behind the larger vehicle makes sense. The '06 Rainier we have has the most power of any of these things in the fleet, but WAY too short a wheelbase.
Back to top Go down
Bert Slater

Bert Slater

PostSubject: Re: 21ft Hi-lo RV towing with a '93 TBI   21ft Hi-lo RV  towing with a '93 TBI Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 4:27 pm

always carry a quarter for the telephone.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: 21ft Hi-lo RV towing with a '93 TBI   21ft Hi-lo RV  towing with a '93 TBI Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 10:13 pm

Your wagon will pull 5000lbs easily enough,.leave the shifter in drive,.
I would run LT 235 75 15 tires on the back, air them up nice and hard,. that'd take the sway out of it,..
people tow with skinny tires with low pressure for soft ride,. then wonder why the back end wanders around,. then they hook on with a pickup with stiffer tires and everybody figures the truck is better suited for towing,.

the suburban has about a 14" longer wheelbase,.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: 21ft Hi-lo RV towing with a '93 TBI   21ft Hi-lo RV  towing with a '93 TBI Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 11:32 pm

Agree with the above.  Towed my Coleman pop-up (same frontal profile and weight as your Hi-Lo) with my 91 305 TBI, 3.23 gears, non-tow pack Roadie all over the Eastern seaboard.  Only issue was really long hills (55 MPH in 2nd gear a few times).  The 350 TBI would have been fine.  The diesel made the tow combination perfect.

As Nick said, 235s and 3rd gear should be fine.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Bert Slater

Bert Slater

PostSubject: Re: 21ft Hi-lo RV towing with a '93 TBI   21ft Hi-lo RV  towing with a '93 TBI Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2016 1:05 pm

Hayes Energize XPC electric brake control accepts a handheld remote, number 81746. Really helps take the sway out of towing when needed like when passed by a tractor trailer without having to reach down to the bake control. Added advantage is it accepts a phone line so you can test/adjust the trailer brakes and lights while standing back by the trailer
Back to top Go down
r67northern

r67northern

PostSubject: Re: 21ft Hi-lo RV towing with a '93 TBI   21ft Hi-lo RV  towing with a '93 TBI Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2016 11:08 pm

Bert Slater wrote:
Hayes Energize XPC electric brake control accepts a handheld remote, number 81746. Really helps take the sway out of towing when needed like when passed by a tractor trailer without having to reach down to the bake control. Added advantage is it accepts a phone line so you can test/adjust the trailer brakes and lights while standing back by the trailer

Good info, I'll check that out. I hadn't heard about that.
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: 21ft Hi-lo RV towing with a '93 TBI   21ft Hi-lo RV  towing with a '93 TBI Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2016 11:36 pm

Using a brake controller to solve sway issues is like using an anchor to prevent spin out on ice.  Yes it works but only after the fact.

You're better off spending the dough on a good load equalizing hitch. I use the equal-I-zer ( http://www.equalizerhitch.com/ ).  Combines sway control and pulls some weight off the back of the car all in one unit (no add on sway brakes).  

Don't cheap out on the brake controller either.  My preference is the Prodigy.  They also have a rig that mounts entirely on the trailer, working off the trailer's battery and the brake lights with a remote you bring with you into the vehicle.  Haven't used it but apparently it gets good reviews. Also lets you use multiple tow vehicles without changing out the controller.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Bert Slater

Bert Slater

PostSubject: Re: 21ft Hi-lo RV towing with a '93 TBI   21ft Hi-lo RV  towing with a '93 TBI Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 12:50 am

no 1 problem with a RMW for towing is the hitch ball is way behind the axle compared to a truck. Could be why they got a 5000 lb capacity rating. Ford made a "Camper Special" which was an F-250 with the rear axle pushed back towards the bumper. Fifth wheels for that reason re even better. Also do not mix load leveling hitches with surge brakes as they become less able to react.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: 21ft Hi-lo RV towing with a '93 TBI   21ft Hi-lo RV  towing with a '93 TBI Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 1:13 am

Suburbans make pretty good tow rigs,.. plenty of overhang,.
Back to top Go down
r67northern

r67northern

PostSubject: Re: 21ft Hi-lo RV towing with a '93 TBI   21ft Hi-lo RV  towing with a '93 TBI Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 6:11 am

phantom 309 wrote:
Suburbans make pretty good tow rigs,..  plenty of overhang,.

Right, so I decided that a suburban would be a better option and kept an eye out for a nice 3/4 ton. I found one a little while ago, an '88 with low miles and the 454. I've been taking care of some odds and ends on it and it's coming around. It will need the trailer brake though, so I'm storing all of this input from you guys.

It also needs a trans with more than 3 gears, but then I realized that the wagon just continues to have its place. If I need something to eat highway miles, the RMW does great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 21ft Hi-lo RV towing with a '93 TBI   21ft Hi-lo RV  towing with a '93 TBI Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

21ft Hi-lo RV towing with a '93 TBI
Page 1 of 1