GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Towing Question

Go down 
+5
1phastsswagon
brokecello
Sprocket
Krzdimond
OldGuy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
OldGuy

OldGuy

Towing Question Empty
PostSubject: Towing Question   Towing Question Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 8:52 pm

When towing with your wagon, do you use overdrive or just drive? Was told not to use overdrive, so not sure.

Roger
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Towing Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing Question   Towing Question Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 9:02 pm

you should use "Drive" to keep the torque converter locked up. Overdrive will slip too much, overheat and burn up.
Back to top Go down
OldGuy

OldGuy

Towing Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing Question   Towing Question Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 9:36 pm

Thanks for reply. I've been doing that, but was not sure.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Towing Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing Question   Towing Question Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 9:44 pm

overdrive while towing = new transmission in a hurry. no one told my buddy with a 5 speed and a u-haul trailer, and as soon as we hit 3d scenery north of Orlando the clutch burned out in about 40 miles.

I'd think an automatic would suffer a similar fate with slippage.

Wish we coulda hung out more at the show, hardly saw ya, but was good to meet you!!
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

Towing Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing Question   Towing Question Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 10:23 pm

OldGuy, will you be at the Lowes Auto Fair on the 21st? If so, I'd like to say "hi"! I'll be there with my wagon.

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

Towing Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing Question   Towing Question Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 10:50 pm

Roger - If your going to be around the weekend of autofair I am sure we can squeeze you in with our club.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home
OldGuy

OldGuy

Towing Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing Question   Towing Question Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 8:36 pm

Thanks for the replys, what I needed.

I will be at Auto Fair but not taking a car this year. The chevelle club I'm in pulled out because of the
2 day rule. Old people can only take so much fun I guess.

I'm looking for a club to join that I can take any of my cars to.
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

Towing Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing Question   Towing Question Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 8:43 pm

Roger CarISSMA is a B & D body club, and we woould luv to have you join us
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home
s1l1sc

Towing Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing Question   Towing Question Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 9:58 pm

well, that might explain the grinding sound coming from the back end of mine... At least it made it the whole 600 mile round trip...

Now I am worried what the shop will quote me on that little piece of fun.
Back to top Go down
PatDTN

Towing Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing Question   Towing Question Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 10:05 am

Krzdimond wrote:
you should use "Drive" to keep the torque converter locked up. Overdrive will slip too much, overheat and burn up.

I bought a stoutly built tranny for my RMW but thought it was shifting too often. I talked to a very reputable tranny guy in WV who drove it quite a ways. He explained that the Torque Converter locked up in 3rd and 4th but unlocks when you let off the throttle or touch the brakes. He said mine was working just fine. I asked about towing an open trailer with a car on it to AZ from East TN and he said if the converter was staying locked up then it was okay to use overdrive on mine. If it was kicking in and out and downshifting then I should stick it in drive and not use overdrive.

I think it would depend on the terrain as to whether I could use it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.patdonahue.com
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Towing Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing Question   Towing Question Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 11:19 am

You can also program when your convert locks and unlocks. I had my wagon 4L60E programmed NOT to unlock when I got off the gas. This allowed me to stay in lock up and not go in and out on the highway.

But now I just tow in 4th or 5th gears depending on the terrain....... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Towing Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing Question   Towing Question Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 11:40 am

When towing the boat or car dolly I always use just drive. Was always told never to use overdrive.

These tow great in 3rd! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
s1l1sc

Towing Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing Question   Towing Question Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 11:21 pm

Anyone have a used differential / rear gears? Looks like I burned mine up... 2.73 gears.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Towing Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing Question   Towing Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Towing Question
Page 1 of 1