GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Train horns?

Go down 
+5
Andebe
Bert Slater
Fred Kiehl
jayoldschool
TheRoadmasterKing
9 posters
AuthorMessage
TheRoadmasterKing

Train horns? Empty
PostSubject: Train horns?   Train horns? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2015 9:42 pm

When I get my RMW I plan to put train horns on it. Like REAL train horns. How would I do that? I want to be able to wire it into the steering wheel, but Im also getting one of these http://www.amazon.com/CompuSTAR-CS700-AS-Starter-Security-CS700AS/dp/B00IER8X9Q and I want to attach the horn to be used as an alarm too.

Basically, I want to be "That guy."
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Train horns? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Train horns?   Train horns? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2015 10:11 pm

Air ride compressor, tank, electric valve... honk honk
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Train horns? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Train horns?   Train horns? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 12:39 am

Hook the electric valve and compressor to a relay, and use the horn wire to power the relay. You may need a fairly large tank to have pressure and volume available instantly.
Back to top Go down
TheRoadmasterKing

Train horns? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Train horns?   Train horns? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 8:16 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Hook the electric valve and compressor to a relay, and use the horn wire to power the relay. You may need a fairly large tank to have pressure and volume available instantly.
That's what I'm going for...but couldn't I just put the train horns onto the original horn wires? without a relay? Also, how would I mount the things?! Should I just have a shop do it for me? Smile
Back to top Go down
Bert Slater

Bert Slater

Train horns? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Train horns?   Train horns? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 9:07 am

train horns use compressed air, hence the relays. As for an alarm hook that up and if you were my neighbor I would torch your ride. Why not just have your alarm text you to your cell phone?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Train horns? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Train horns?   Train horns? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 9:14 am

The pump draws way too much current for the horn wire, and you want the pump to come on at the same time as the air is released to the horns, so you do not deplete your reservoir in a couple of seconds.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

Train horns? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Train horns?   Train horns? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 10:54 am

You'll make someone s#%t themselves,I see no possible problems with this set up... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Train horns? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Train horns?   Train horns? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 11:17 am

The only issue I see is fitting them under the hood. You may have to bolt them to the top of the hood. That can look cool too...It makes a statement. A side by side arrangement would be best.
Back to top Go down
TheRoadmasterKing

Train horns? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Train horns?   Train horns? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 12:30 pm

Andebe wrote:
You'll make someone s#%t themselves,I see no possible problems with this set up... Rolling Eyes
That's what I want to do Laughing

Fred Kiehl wrote:
The only issue I see is fitting them under the hood. You may have to bolt them to the top of the hood. That can look cool too...It makes a statement. A side by side arrangement would be best.
I want to keep them hidden so people will be like "Oooh, a station wagoWHAT THE ****?!" when I honk the horns
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

Train horns? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Train horns?   Train horns? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 2:12 pm

Unlike those cheap little air horns that are coupled to the output of a small electric compressor, most train horns since the 50's are a set of 5 large airhorns, tuned to a chord (but pairs and triples also exist). They have a LOT of air available to them, and they use it. Like Fred said, you will need a large reservoir and the suspension pump hasn't got a hope in hell of filling it anytime soon after blowing that horn. Even with the large engine-driven compressor on a fire truck, it is possible to bleed the air tank down with excessive use of the two air-horn trumpets.

I think you would need a compressor supplied via a pressure command switch and reservoir plumbed through solenoid valves. The current draw to power the solenoids would likely exceed the capacity of the steering wheel contact themselves, but would likely be within the rating of the horn relay contacts.

Modern train horns are limited to 110db by law. However older, used horns may be more than 140db. That's one thing when mounted at the other end of a locomotive, but potentially damaging inside the car with you.
Back to top Go down
TheRoadmasterKing

Train horns? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Train horns?   Train horns? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 3:26 pm

buickwagon wrote:
Unlike those cheap little air horns that are coupled to the output of a small electric compressor, most train horns since the 50's are a set of 5 large airhorns, tuned to a chord (but pairs and triples also exist). They have a LOT of air available to them, and they use it. Like Fred said, you will need a large reservoir and the suspension pump hasn't got a hope in hell of filling it anytime soon after blowing that horn. Even with the large engine-driven compressor on a fire truck, it is possible to bleed the air tank down with excessive use of the two air-horn trumpets.

I think you would need a compressor supplied via a pressure command switch and reservoir plumbed through solenoid valves. The current draw to power the solenoids would likely exceed the capacity of the steering wheel contact themselves, but would likely be within the rating of the horn relay contacts.

Modern train horns are limited to 110db by law. However older, used horns may be more than 140db. That's one thing when mounted at the other end of a locomotive, but potentially damaging inside the car with you.  
i plan to mount them under the hood or in the wheel wells so that its loud
Back to top Go down
TheRoadmasterKing

Train horns? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Train horns?   Train horns? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 4:52 pm

Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

Train horns? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Train horns?   Train horns? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 5:24 pm

TheRoadmasterKing wrote:
Will these work?

Ahhh. Ok. I thought you had got ahold of an old Airchime, Wabco or similar unit taken from an actual train. They are metal with metal diaphragms and actually tuned to a musical chord*.

Those are cheap Chinese plastic things that might sound somewhat like a real train horn, but are not going to be tuned.

* commonly D#(3rd), F#, A#, C, D#(4th) or D#, F#, G#, B, D#. How do I know this? Oddly enough this past week I've been tinkering around trying to make an electronic one for a vintage model train. It's been challenging to get the bass note out of a speaker small enough to fit inside an O scale engine. Laughing
Back to top Go down
TheRoadmasterKing

Train horns? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Train horns?   Train horns? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 5:39 pm

buickwagon wrote:
TheRoadmasterKing wrote:
Will these work?

Ahhh. Ok. I thought you had got ahold of an old Airchime, Wabco or similar unit taken from an actual train. They are metal with metal diaphragms and actually tuned to a musical chord*.

Those are cheap Chinese plastic things that might sound somewhat like a real train horn, but are not going to be tuned.

* commonly D#(3rd), F#, A#, C, D#(4th) or D#, F#, G#, B, D#. How do I know this? Oddly enough this past week I've been tinkering around trying to make an electronic one for a vintage model train. It's been challenging to get the bass note out of a speaker small enough to fit inside an O scale engine. Laughing

I know its unrelated but is it possible to pair the aftermarket security+remote start module with a push-button ignition or would I have to bypass the PASSkey?
Back to top Go down
TheRoadmasterKing

Train horns? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Train horns?   Train horns? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 5:41 pm

Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Train horns? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Train horns?   Train horns? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 7:33 pm

Go big or stay home,..

it;ll fit in the back of a wagon,.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fUtYEZwgXk
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Train horns? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Train horns?   Train horns? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 7:42 pm

TheRoadmasterKing wrote:
buickwagon wrote:

i plan to mount them under the hood or in the wheel wells so that its loud
You can not mount them in the wheelhouses, so you are limited to under the hood. You could mount them sideways in front of the radiator.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

Train horns? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Train horns?   Train horns? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 7:58 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
Go big or stay home,..

I suppose the wagon is often referred to as a boat...
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

Train horns? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Train horns?   Train horns? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 8:51 pm

One thing to consider when contemplating this mod: Will it attract unwanted attention from an LEO? Up here (Ontario) there's a rather ambiguous charge of "Unnecessary noise":

Quote :
(4) A person having the control or charge of a motor vehicle shall not sound any bell, horn or other signalling device so as to make an unreasonable noise, and a driver of any motor vehicle shall not permit any unreasonable amount of smoke to escape from the motor vehicle, nor shall the driver at any time cause the motor vehicle to make any unnecessary noise, but this subsection does not apply to a motor vehicle of a municipal fire department while proceeding to a fire or answering a fire alarm call. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (4).

There's no numbers, it's pretty much up to the judgement and discretion of the police officer as to what is "reasonable" or "necessary" and what is not.
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

Train horns? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Train horns?   Train horns? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 11:15 pm

A good PA/Siren speaker can put out a lot of noise and will take up a lot less space, plus you get a PA system too.
Back to top Go down
MG Davis

MG Davis

Train horns? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Train horns?   Train horns? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 11:38 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
Go big or stay home,..

Mount them on the luggage rack, one forward for slow drivers, one rear for tailgaters. Air compressor in the back seat/tailgunner area
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

Train horns? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Train horns?   Train horns? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2015 10:10 am

phantom 309 wrote:
Go big or stay home,..

I vote this one! Just always remember your ear protection. lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Train horns? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Train horns?   Train horns? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Train horns?
Page 1 of 1