GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Four Horns are Better than Two

Go down 
+2
81X11
COL
6 posters
AuthorMessage
COL

COL

Four Horns are Better than Two Empty
PostSubject: Four Horns are Better than Two   Four Horns are Better than Two Icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 10:13 pm

On one of Mikes long lunches he picked up two right side horns for me. I installed them today and they are awesome.

Horns from the RMW bolted into existing (but not used) holes.
Four Horns are Better than Two DSCN0925_zps8554ac01

Battery holder was nasty, covered with surface rust. I found an exacto blade and a 1/4" socket under there along with dirt and leaves.
Four Horns are Better than Two DSCN0926_zps5742bd40

I cleaned the fender up and used a small wire brush and Fordum to attack the battery tray crud.
Four Horns are Better than Two DSCN0928_zpsc28885f4

Painted tray.
Four Horns are Better than Two DSCN0930_zpsa2634491

Back together.
Four Horns are Better than Two DSCN0932_zps39037541

I used the wire and clips Mike sent on the new horns, ran the wire across to the drivers side. Then used an extra original double connector left over from my install of the cornering lights.
The sound is 10 times better.

Dick
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Four Horns are Better than Two   Four Horns are Better than Two Icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 11:27 pm

Good deal! Glad you like them and happy to see the install worked out.

Now drive down to the beach and scare the gulls with the horns!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Four Horns are Better than Two   Four Horns are Better than Two Icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 11:32 pm

Oh and both my wagons had battery trays like that. Nice job cleaning the mess up!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Four Horns are Better than Two   Four Horns are Better than Two Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 12:42 am

Yeah... I need to do this mod. Must find set of horns.
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

PostSubject: Re: Four Horns are Better than Two   Four Horns are Better than Two Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 9:13 am

so hows this mod done? i know there are threads on it. do you just replace your stock horns in the wagon with those found in fleetwoods and roadmaster sedans?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Four Horns are Better than Two   Four Horns are Better than Two Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 9:33 am

benn wrote:
so hows this mod done? i know there are threads on it. do you just replace your stock horns in the wagon with those found in fleetwoods and roadmaster sedans?

No, you have two stock horns, notes A and F, inside the driver's side front fender. Roady sedans and Caddy Fleetwoods have two more horns in the same location inside the fender on the passenger side, notes C and D.

It's an easy mod. Grab a set of passenger-side horns from a junkyard sedan and bolt them in. The holes for them are already there and drilled on our wagons, so they just bolt right on. Then all you have to do is run a wire from the passenger side to the driver's side and splice into the horn wire there. It's easy! cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbQcQDh99O4 - Someone did this on a GM truck here. I need to do this on Misty's Denali I guess.

Other write-ups on the forum here:

https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t3812-4-note-tugboat-horn-install?highlight=horn
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t7306-custom-cruiser-4-note-horn-conversion?highlight=horn
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t2657p20-4-note-horn-conversion?highlight=horn
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

PostSubject: Re: Four Horns are Better than Two   Four Horns are Better than Two Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 10:39 am

Thanks mike! Gonna do this mod on the '95!
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Four Horns are Better than Two   Four Horns are Better than Two Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 1:47 am

Did this mod today and what a great sound! Now that is what a station wagon blast should sound like. Such a meaty sound. Of course, I left my ratchet and a deep wall socket at the Pick n Pull and it got nabbed, so this mod cost me more than I thought it would.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Four Horns are Better than Two   Four Horns are Better than Two Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 1:10 pm

Hope you dont use only snap-on tools like my kid brother?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Four Horns are Better than Two   Four Horns are Better than Two Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 2:40 pm

Snagged myself a set of these, finally.

Guess I'll install them tomorrow. About to fire the grill for lunch/dinner here.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Four Horns are Better than Two   Four Horns are Better than Two Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 12:00 am

Stingroo wrote:
Snagged myself a set of these, finally.

Guess I'll install them tomorrow. About to fire the grill for lunch/dinner here.
Well..... what's the latest? Is it driving ok again?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Four Horns are Better than Two   Four Horns are Better than Two Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 12:37 am

I'll update that thread tomorrow. lol
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Four Horns are Better than Two   Four Horns are Better than Two Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 2:08 am

No Flasheroo, the best tools stay put at home. I have all Craftsman tools in my yarding tool kit. I used to use crap knuckle-busters in yarding kit but tossed them all as there is nothing more frustrating then trying to work with tools that bend, brake and wont clamp or allign properly.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Four Horns are Better than Two   Four Horns are Better than Two Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 4:20 am

This is a horn-y thread,...

Four Horns are Better than Two H992C0900
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Four Horns are Better than Two   Four Horns are Better than Two Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Four Horns are Better than Two
Page 1 of 1