GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

horns wont sound unless engine running

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
majordeeg

horns wont sound unless engine running Empty
PostSubject: horns wont sound unless engine running   horns wont sound unless engine running Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 3:26 pm

A little unnerving when some painkiller'd out pasta eater is about to back his BMW into you in a parking lot , and only hear a relay click as you try to blow your horn. I have four note horns from a 73 Eldorado in my Caprice.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: horns wont sound unless engine running   horns wont sound unless engine running Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 9:28 am

I appears that you have the wire hooked up to a "hot when iginition on" curcuit instead of an "always hot" wire. Connect the same wire to the "contacts" as you have to the coil of the relay.
Back to top Go down
majordeeg

PostSubject: Re: horns wont sound unless engine running   horns wont sound unless engine running Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 1:42 pm

That would be in the convenince center on the firewall? When installing my four notes I just spliced the harness into the factory thin gauge green horn wire. Would this have been something the NCSHP would have done, or were the 9c1 wired differently?

Brian
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: horns wont sound unless engine running   horns wont sound unless engine running Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 9:10 pm

I do not know why the horns do not work when the engine is off. You stated that the relay clicked, but no horns. Somewhere you have either a bad ground, or a connection to a "hot with ignition on" circuit. You are going to be troubleshooting with a VOM. Start at the horn, and check for voltage, going back through the circuit until you find the issue.
Back to top Go down
majordeeg

PostSubject: Re: horns wont sound unless engine running   horns wont sound unless engine running Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Okay. Getting 12v at two orange wires on relay. Testing the terminal with the green wire , press horn my dvm says 9 volts.. testing main horn wire in engine bay im getting 7 volts.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: horns wont sound unless engine running   horns wont sound unless engine running Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 3:06 pm

Generally the orange wires are "hot with key on". The wires for my OCC are white. You may have a poor connection somewhere. You should get the same voltage at the green wire as you get at the input wire for relay. Make sure the relay does not have burned contacts.
Back to top Go down
majordeeg

PostSubject: Re: horns wont sound unless engine running   horns wont sound unless engine running Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 9:46 pm

SOLVED-

after venturing around with my 3$ harbor freight DMM , I figured my horn contacts were okay, so I wouldn't have to get my face torn off by an airbag.

then, I put down my joint and thought for a minute to myself, "this is the factory wiring and connectors from 1973.. let's check this harness." took some vice grips and plenty of PB blaster to get those little spade terminals apart.. a little battery terminal cleaner and a scratchy scratch with a pick and I've got my tugboat sound back!

the spade terminals had no visible green corrosion, just dirt and sand that had been sandblasted into them from the Eldorado's decades in AZ.

this produced some weird effects, sometimes even with engine running I'd have to sound the horn and my voltage/lights would dim dramatically.

so.... K.I.S.S.! keep it simple stupid!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: horns wont sound unless engine running   horns wont sound unless engine running Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

horns wont sound unless engine running
Page 1 of 1