GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pass Key Fault

Go down 
+5
94Woody
silverfox103
DBeaSSt
Fred Kiehl
phastlt1
9 posters
AuthorMessage
phastlt1

Pass Key Fault Empty
PostSubject: Pass Key Fault   Pass Key Fault Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 6:37 pm

I had this light up and stay on today. The car is a '95 caprice. Any idea what could cause this? There wasn't much of a pass key fault, as the car started right up and drove, just thought it was strange...
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Pass Key Fault Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pass Key Fault   Pass Key Fault Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 11:00 pm

Try cleaning your key.
Back to top Go down
phastlt1

Pass Key Fault Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pass Key Fault   Pass Key Fault Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 12:20 am

I'll give that a whirl.....
Back to top Go down

Pass Key Fault Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pass Key Fault   Pass Key Fault Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 2:13 pm

Our Pass Key light has been on since we bought the car last February.
Back to top Go down
phastlt1

Pass Key Fault Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pass Key Fault   Pass Key Fault Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 8:10 pm

Ok, today I went from Pass Key Fault to Pass Key FAIL! Car wouldn't crank at all, had full electrical working. Pass Key Fault was flashing the whole time...After trying like 20 times, finally cranked and I drove it home. Anyone with some good tips on bypassing this system. My key is a #7 and measures at 1.86k ohms. Is it possible to splice that amount of resistors in the plug loop to trick the car into thinking it's working?
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

Pass Key Fault Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pass Key Fault   Pass Key Fault Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 8:20 pm

phastlt1 wrote:
Ok, today I went from Pass Key Fault to Pass Key FAIL! Car wouldn't crank at all, had full electrical working. Pass Key Fault was flashing the whole time...After trying like 20 times, finally cranked and I drove it home. Anyone with some good tips on bypassing this system. My key is a #7 and measures at 1.86k ohms. Is it possible to splice that amount of resistors in the plug loop to trick the car into thinking it's working?

Yup, did that with my SS. Unplugged at the base of the column and setup some resistors to match the key. Never had another problem.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
phastlt1

Pass Key Fault Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pass Key Fault   Pass Key Fault Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 8:27 pm

That's what I needed to hear.....definitely the route I'm going cheers
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

Pass Key Fault Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pass Key Fault   Pass Key Fault Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 8:55 pm

I did the same thing, the first thing you have to do is get a resistor the same value. should be able to do that at Radio Shack.

This may be of some help: http://www.thirdgen.org/vats_passkey_system

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
phastlt1

Pass Key Fault Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pass Key Fault   Pass Key Fault Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 9:24 pm

I've seen that chart, and it confrims what I've seen. I went to the stealership earlier to check and make sure my key wasn't bad....he told me it was a 7, tested it, and confirmed it was good. I checked the resistor with an ohmmeter and it came up 1.86. According to the chart, that is within tolerance. I just got back from radioshack, and I couldn't find one with that value, but I did find 4 that addded up to that, so I'll solder them in series and splice them in...should be all good, least I hope.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Pass Key Fault Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pass Key Fault   Pass Key Fault Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 9:25 pm

Mine was giving me fits last summer. Swapped in a new Key Cylinder and the problem was solved Smile

Few months later and it returned though, lol. Always starts just has that damn light on all the time. When I get the PCM tuned the system will be disabled for good.
Back to top Go down
phastlt1

Pass Key Fault Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pass Key Fault   Pass Key Fault Icon_minitimeFri Jun 18, 2010 9:23 pm

Ok, just messed with this a bit, and now I'm stumpped. I'm pretty sure I unplugged the ignition wire from the vats wire (white & orange, purple & white). I wanted to test with these disconnected to make sure the car wouldn't start. It did start, and ran fine. I gave it gas several time and it never missed or anything. Are these the correct wires? I've seen pics and they appear to be correct, but???? The pass key fault light stayed on the whole time it was disconnected, before it was just intermittent.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Pass Key Fault Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pass Key Fault   Pass Key Fault Icon_minitimeFri Jun 18, 2010 9:37 pm

Not sure about the wires, but just an FYI, steady lights are when something is out of spec; a caution light, if you will while a flashing light means something is broke.... WARNING!
Back to top Go down
phastlt1

Pass Key Fault Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pass Key Fault   Pass Key Fault Icon_minitimeFri Jun 18, 2010 9:41 pm

Yesterday when the car wouldn't start, the light was flashing. When I said intermittent earlier, I meant sometimes it would come on and stay on, other times it wouldn't come on at all.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Pass Key Fault Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pass Key Fault   Pass Key Fault Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 12:10 pm

phastlt1 wrote:
Yesterday when the car wouldn't start, the light was flashing. When I said intermittent earlier, I meant sometimes it would come on and stay on, other times it wouldn't come on at all.

aah,. so thats what intermittent means,..kinda like working intermittently so to speak,.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Pass Key Fault Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pass Key Fault   Pass Key Fault Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 10:07 pm

there was a great write up on the ISSF forum. dunno if it was lost in the crash or not.

I spliced in the proper resistor and haven't had an issue for over two years and the resistor cost my 20 cents. at Radio Shack (5 for a buck).

It was a one wire snip and I wire nutted the resistor in and tucked it all back up.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

Pass Key Fault Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pass Key Fault   Pass Key Fault Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 10:20 pm

mine is like sprocket's. it was that way when i got car, it has auto start i guess that is why it was done. mine the 2 wires are white 1 is tied to resister and 1 is just cut
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Sponsored content

Pass Key Fault Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pass Key Fault   Pass Key Fault Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pass Key Fault
Page 1 of 1