GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Buy or pass?

Go down 
+12
WagonLover
95BRMW
TylerW
94Woody
Sprocket
brokecello
BigBlackBeaSSt
silverfox103
sherlock9c1
benn
zach.skinner510
s1l1sc
16 posters
AuthorMessage
s1l1sc

Buy or pass? Empty
PostSubject: Buy or pass?   Buy or pass? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 10:30 pm

Thoughts?

http://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/4125327570.html

Knocking rod screams "needs new engine" to me.
Back to top Go down
zach.skinner510

Buy or pass? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buy or pass?   Buy or pass? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 10:51 pm

I would try to get him down around a grand, to me seems abit high for needing a motor. They seem to sell for around $1700 were I'm at in decent shape with less than 200,000 miles.
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

Buy or pass? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buy or pass?   Buy or pass? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 10:58 pm

Would pass on it unless you could get him Down to a grand or less...
Back to top Go down

Buy or pass? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buy or pass?   Buy or pass? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 11:15 pm

If you know how to replace the engine,buy it for no more than a grand and drive it until it breaks.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

Buy or pass? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buy or pass?   Buy or pass? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 11:19 pm

Anything over 125k is going to start needing lots of things - water pump, starter, alternator, shocks, suspension, etc. I'd want to see maintenance records for all of that. If not, pass, regardless of the rod knock.

Iron head LT1 engines are dirt cheap - pay no more than $400 for one. It's the other stuff that will nickel and dime you to death.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

Buy or pass? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buy or pass?   Buy or pass? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 11:35 pm

Pass
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Buy or pass? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buy or pass?   Buy or pass? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 7:57 am

The junk yard will give him $400 or so for it. Offer him $600 and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

Buy or pass? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buy or pass?   Buy or pass? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 10:03 am

Yeah, I bought mine with a knocking motor for $800. It was very clean so worth it for me. If this one is clean and totally rust free (and the interior looks pretty good honestly) talk him down. I had an extra drivetrain ready to swap in so it wasn't a big deal.

If you have an engine waiting (or can fix it yourself) decide if the clean body and interior is worth it for you. In my case, it was.

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
zach.skinner510

Buy or pass? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buy or pass?   Buy or pass? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 10:36 am

I'm in central illinois, scrap is way down. My wagon was recently involved in an accident and totaled it on had a salvage value of $225. Most I've heard recently in my area was $300 for complete car.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Buy or pass? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buy or pass?   Buy or pass? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 4:00 pm

if it's really rust free and super clean interior I'd say 600 expecting an engine rebuild. then again it may not be a rod knock either. may be worth checking out.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Buy or pass? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buy or pass?   Buy or pass? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 5:30 pm

At least go check it out. Cannot be knocking too bad if the guy says you can drive it anywhere. People with zero mechanical skills normally possess the same in Diagnostics.

The interior looks nice and actually cared for in the pics. Get it cheap enough and it could make a nice flip.
Back to top Go down
TylerW

Buy or pass? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buy or pass?   Buy or pass? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 6:02 pm

I think you can make a deal on that car. It's the right set of circumstances, person lives out of state, car broke, just wants to dump it and go home.

Like the above poster said, there are a few things that can make a "rod knock" sound so if you check it out, just play that up even if you suspect it's something else. Rod knock = replace or rebuild engine, period.

Second, if you go check it out, go with the amount of cash you would be willing to give for the car, right then, right there. I can't tell you how many times a buyer has come to my house, struck a good deal, then said , "oh well I'll have to go to the bank when they open Monday, so if you still have it...blah blah blah". That's stupid!!

The last person that did that LOST their good deal out from under them because of it. Buy the car, get the title and keys then worry about how to get it out of there.
Back to top Go down
s1l1sc

Buy or pass? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buy or pass?   Buy or pass? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 7:06 pm

Thanks guys, I'll see how much cash I can spare - could use a nice clean shell, can always ad an engine later.

Will call AAA for towing, might just be close enough to get it home free. I think it is 100 miles with AAA plus... Since mine is white as well...
Back to top Go down
zach.skinner510

Buy or pass? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buy or pass?   Buy or pass? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 7:09 pm

Best bet show up with $600 cash and tell him take it or leave it, like others said most would ignore it because if the "rod knock". Could turn out to be something simple, if it was me and I was closer I would of bought it already.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

Buy or pass? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buy or pass?   Buy or pass? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 7:54 pm

Showing them the cash they can have right now if they take your offer works very well. Talking numbers is one thing, seeing the green is another Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
WagonLover

WagonLover

Buy or pass? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buy or pass?   Buy or pass? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 9:56 am

agree with mostly everyone else.. 600 take it or leave it.. even if you didnt know how to install an engine.. another grand into it.. 2500 lets say max? and you have the papers and reciptes for it.. even if you wanted to sell it.. break even at least?..
Back to top Go down
https://www.photobucket.com/wagonlover
Sprocket

Sprocket

Buy or pass? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buy or pass?   Buy or pass? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 2:39 pm

s1l1sc wrote:
Thanks guys, I'll see how much cash I can spare - could use a nice clean shell, can always ad an engine later.

Will call AAA for towing, might just be close enough to get it home free. I think it is 100 miles with AAA plus... Since mine is white as well...
If yours is also white, may wanna take your plate to thow on it. I've had AAA tow a bunch of cars for me, but the last time, the guy said no go without a current plate on it (car had 10 yr old plate). The guy before that was a repo guy and didn't care, so ymmv. Yes plus is 100 miles free.
Back to top Go down
cadillac kevin

Buy or pass? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buy or pass?   Buy or pass? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 3:01 pm

I love how he says "just needs a rod bearing. I don't have time to do it" like it is a minor thing. offer 600 cash in hand. Scrap value is 350 at most.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

Buy or pass? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buy or pass?   Buy or pass? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 3:37 pm

Sprocket wrote:
s1l1sc wrote:

If yours is also white, may wanna take your plate to thow on it.  I've had AAA tow a bunch of cars for me, but the last time, the guy said no go without a current plate on it (car had 10 yr old plate).  The guy before that was a repo guy and didn't care, so ymmv.  Yes plus is 100 miles free.
And Hendersonville is only 30 minutes from me. You know...as long as you can get it on US25...you can literally coast down the mountain and almost all the way to Hwy 11. I'm not too far from there. You can park it at my place Smile

lol! 
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
200OZ
200OZ

Buy or pass? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buy or pass?   Buy or pass? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 4:18 pm

The rod knock might just be a an exhaust manifold bolt/gasket.... Ya never know, they sound similar on these cars.

Mike
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

Buy or pass? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buy or pass?   Buy or pass? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 7:55 am

Could also be a broken flex plate (gotta love the creepy voice stuck in there)

Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Buy or pass? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buy or pass?   Buy or pass? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 11:40 am

i bought a 95 green woody wagon cheap because the owner thought the engine was knocking,.
the pass side exhaust manifold was broken where it curves down,.
It,s worth a look,.
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

Buy or pass? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buy or pass?   Buy or pass? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 1:52 pm

I agree, it's worth a look
Pete
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Buy or pass? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buy or pass?   Buy or pass? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Buy or pass?
Page 1 of 1