GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

rubber front bushes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BuickRM

rubber front bushes Empty
PostSubject: rubber front bushes   rubber front bushes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2016 6:16 pm

Guys,
I´m new here, I`m German and I`m going to get my BRM finish for the German TÜV. Now I`ve discovered that my upper control arm bushes are worn and should be replaced, of course I will do all at the front axle. Now I´m searching for rubber bushes original style, but a bit harder for better steering response but i didn´t find some. I always find pointings to Delrin  or Poly bushes but I´ve heard different statements that those might be noisy, has to be lubricated frequently and will clunk and/or chatter, I´ve no time to care once the car is operating finally.
I´m looking for a reliable solution which doesn´t cause any troubles. Maybe new original bushes from Moog or others are working well and will do the job better as the stock ones?

Furthermore, I´ve got  a set of new KYB shocks from a friend which I don´t know at all how the will perform. I thought about looking for Bilsteins, but my wife is using the car daily and she´s worried about the Bilsteins will be too harsh. What do you think about comparison KYB and Bilstein? And what about the bushes?

Thanks a lot for your advices !

Udo
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: rubber front bushes   rubber front bushes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2016 11:20 pm

Bilsteins ride nice. If you already have the KYBs they are similar. Moog makes excellent front end parts. If you use their parts you will not go wrong.

Make sure you tighten the bushing bolts when the weight is on the car, so that they are not under stress when the car is sitting still. It will make them last a lot longer. If you are going to go to urethane bushings, get Energy Suspension brand. You need a tool that will go around the upper pivot shafts to remove the upper bushings.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: rubber front bushes   rubber front bushes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2016 11:27 pm

If you're just doing bushings...
Moog bushings:
- front upper use the "better" K6409 (1 kit per car)
- front lower use K6109 (2 kits per car) - the improved bushing is K6419, which was discontinued several years ago, but you may still find some if you look at Amazon or e-Bay auto parts listings. With K6419, you only need one kit per car, if you can find it.

I just use rubber in front control arms.

I would use the KYBs if your friend let them go for a good price. Bilsteins would be ok given the condition of the roads in Germany. Another really nice option that might be easy enough to source in Germany is Koni. I really like their adjustable shocks.

I don't know how easy it is to source parts in Germany, but if you need some other front end (direction) components and are having a hard time obtaining them, send me a PM. I have a bunch of new parts (ball-joints, centrelink, tie-rod ends, etc).
Back to top Go down
BuickRM

PostSubject: Re: rubber front bushes   rubber front bushes Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2016 5:03 am

Guys,

lot of thanks for you both ! Really meaningful statements, I´m going to keep the KYB , they are even much cheaper than the Bilsteins.
@Fred: It´s self-evident to tighten the shocks once the car is unstressed on the ground. As well with the bushes !

@jasonlachapelle: Very good your information about bushes!
Getting parts from US is basically no problem, but takes lot of time, I get them via container what a friend of mine organises.
Parts are relativly cheap compared to german special car parts. Yesrterday I´ve got a complete set of front susp. joints , tie rods etc. to rebuild the whole stuff next week.

Again thanks

Udo
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: rubber front bushes   rubber front bushes Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2016 6:30 am

Pictures of your car? We want pictures....we want pictures....we want pictures!

Sorry. It's and election year over here, and it's hard to hold a thought any more complex than a 3-word slogan.

Welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: rubber front bushes   rubber front bushes Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2016 7:14 am

Tightening the shocks when on the ground is not necessary. There are people out there who do not know that the arm bushings need to be tightened with the weight on the suspension.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: rubber front bushes   rubber front bushes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

rubber front bushes
Page 1 of 1