GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

need advice - 95 Caprice Wagon

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Eiríkŕ Rauði

Eiríkŕ Rauði

need advice - 95 Caprice Wagon Empty
PostSubject: need advice - 95 Caprice Wagon   need advice - 95 Caprice Wagon Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 10:25 am

I'm looking at a 95 Caprice Wagon. It has the LT1, so I assume that's the 5.7L. What issues are they known for? I just want to make sure I don't miss anything. TIA
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: need advice - 95 Caprice Wagon   need advice - 95 Caprice Wagon Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 11:35 am

Eiríkŕ Rauði wrote:
I'm looking at a 95 Caprice Wagon. It has the LT1, so I assume that's the 5.7L. What issues are they known for? I just want to make sure I don't miss anything. TIA

You sure have a lot of reading to do,.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: need advice - 95 Caprice Wagon   need advice - 95 Caprice Wagon Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 11:53 am

Look for rust first and then the other issues from there can be fixed….if you don't have time to read up on everything. They are not problematic cars, but when you are a fanatic, theres a million little issues to look for! Smile
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: need advice - 95 Caprice Wagon   need advice - 95 Caprice Wagon Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 5:30 pm

General appearance: does the car appear to have been well cared for? Do you have access to any maintenance records, CarFax, etc? As others said, any rust? Leaks on the ground beneath the car; particularly near the rear main seal? Signs of a serious collision? Repaint, Bondo, broken interior plastic?

These are long-lived and generally durable engines. The transmission will crap out first, and the body will likely be a pile of rust flakes before the engine starts smoking oil. The Optispark distributors can be a bit costly to replace unless you do the labor yourself.

Other than that, its a typical big GM car from the 1990s. No real worries.
Back to top Go down
Eiríkŕ Rauði

Eiríkŕ Rauði

PostSubject: Re: need advice - 95 Caprice Wagon   need advice - 95 Caprice Wagon Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2016 6:08 pm

Thanks all. I hope to pick mine up on Monday or Tuesday!
Back to top Go down
Eiríkŕ Rauði

Eiríkŕ Rauði

PostSubject: Re: need advice - 95 Caprice Wagon   need advice - 95 Caprice Wagon Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2016 6:13 pm

My first wagon. I've wanted this car for a LOOOOOOONNNGG time! Funny thing is, no one I've talked to understands my fascination with it. LOL
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: need advice - 95 Caprice Wagon   need advice - 95 Caprice Wagon Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2016 12:59 am

pic's? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: need advice - 95 Caprice Wagon   need advice - 95 Caprice Wagon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

need advice - 95 Caprice Wagon
Page 1 of 1