GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

9c1 rear end in an OCC

Go down 
+4
GSBULLDOG
Fred Kiehl
Dr.Oldsmobile
iowaSSfan
8 posters
AuthorMessage
iowaSSfan

9c1 rear end in an OCC Empty
PostSubject: 9c1 rear end in an OCC   9c1 rear end in an OCC Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2016 3:29 pm

I've been reading the few articles I can find while searching about this but not finding a lot of answers. I know it will be about 3" narrower, but what about the brake line, parking brake, shocks? That stuff all mount up the same? I found a 9C1 rear end local and like the idea of adding posi, better gearing and rear disk brakes. Any info or links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Dr.Oldsmobile

PostSubject: Re: 9c1 rear end in an OCC   9c1 rear end in an OCC Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2016 3:59 pm

Wagons are built tougher than police cars, don't waste your time/money.  I researched this myself years ago.  I know there are kits to put discs on the wagon axle, and you can change the guts of your pumpkin if you don't like what's in there.
Back to top Go down
iowaSSfan

PostSubject: Re: 9c1 rear end in an OCC   9c1 rear end in an OCC Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2016 4:55 pm

Should have mentioned this is a budget build daily driven wagon. Only real plan for it is airbags in the future. No trailer pulling, etc. I know it would be better to build up what I got but talking thousands of dollars vs couple hundred for the 9C1 rear. Its mostly just in town driving which is why Id like the cop gears (not racing), posi would be VERY helpful for winter, and disc brakes.....well whats not to love about them. lol.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 9c1 rear end in an OCC   9c1 rear end in an OCC Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2016 5:27 pm

The mounts for the trailing arms are different, and the bushings will be stressed. The spring seats are also offset for the narrower sedan frame, so your springs will be canted in at the bottom. I personally would not put a sedan rear in a wagon. You can get a tool to set the pinion gear for about $38 on Amazon. The rest is pretty easy. Of course you need to borrow a few tools from your local parts store, but they have almost everything you need. Do a little research in the FSM before starting, and you should be able to do the job over one weekend.
Back to top Go down
GSBULLDOG

GSBULLDOG

PostSubject: Re: 9c1 rear end in an OCC   9c1 rear end in an OCC Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2016 6:42 pm

On the impala ss forum there are a few guys that have done this swap . They seem to be happy with it . Can't remember the name of the guys who have done it , but check it out and they may even have some words of wisdom for ya .
Back to top Go down
Dr.Oldsmobile

PostSubject: Re: 9c1 rear end in an OCC   9c1 rear end in an OCC Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2016 6:50 pm

I asked them the question years ago when I got my OCC, and their advice was "don't."
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: 9c1 rear end in an OCC   9c1 rear end in an OCC Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 12:18 am

just bolt it in,.. don,t ask anybody's permission,. the control arm bushings will be stretched a little,.
drive it ,. have fun,. just remember to do the proportioning valve mod for the rear discs
stealth brake mod it used to be called
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: 9c1 rear end in an OCC   9c1 rear end in an OCC Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 9:55 am

Dr.Oldsmobile wrote:
I asked them the question years ago when I got my OCC, and their advice was "don't."
There seems to be some evidence of hate towards "wagon americans" on that sight. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Dr.Oldsmobile

PostSubject: Re: 9c1 rear end in an OCC   9c1 rear end in an OCC Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 10:09 am

Andebe wrote:
Dr.Oldsmobile wrote:
There seems to be some evidence of hate towards "wagon americans" on that sight. Shocked

Well, I thought there would be some love among the Impala types, so that's where I gravitated when I got the OCC.  Apparently, sharing front doors isn't enough commonality for some.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 9c1 rear end in an OCC   9c1 rear end in an OCC Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 11:42 am

The Impala front doors are only the same on the 94s. They do share the fenders, windshields, bumper support, and front suspension.
Back to top Go down
Big Wagon Guy

Big Wagon Guy

PostSubject: Re: 9c1 rear end in an OCC   9c1 rear end in an OCC Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 3:25 pm

As already explained above, technically the two rear ends are different and you will have to persuade some of the bits and pieces to come together. However it will go in, the car will work and you will get the mods you desire on the cheap. (Assuming your donor rear end is not in need of an overhaul itself). There are ways to adapt discs to a Wagons rear end, or one could modify the brackets and such...but quick and dirty...just bolt it in and go.

I remember reading a post from a guy who had put a rear end from a 9C1 into his Wagon, after installing it he found someones post pointing out all the differences between the Sedan and Wagon rear end. His comment went something like this..."Gee really glad I did not read this post until after I had installed the rear end...otherwise it might not have fit". I though that was priceless.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: 9c1 rear end in an OCC   9c1 rear end in an OCC Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2016 6:02 pm

it will fit and it will work. yes the springs and control arms will be tilted a little. you could cut the perches off and weld them in the correct location. you will need the disk brake rears brake lines that run side to side. i have had one in my wagon and still have not done the stealth mod to the proportioning valve
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: 9c1 rear end in an OCC   9c1 rear end in an OCC Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 2:54 pm

oh forgot to say if u have ss wheels they will not fit with 9c1 rear in a wagon
Back to top Go down
GSBULLDOG

GSBULLDOG

PostSubject: Re: 9c1 rear end in an OCC   9c1 rear end in an OCC Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2016 7:44 pm

mtrhead79 wrote:
oh forgot to say if u have ss wheels they will not fit with 9c1 rear in a wagon
Really , why won't the Impala rims fit ? Just curious .
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: 9c1 rear end in an OCC   9c1 rear end in an OCC Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2016 9:10 pm

the rear is 3'' shorter and that put the rim into the side of the frame, so bad u cant even bolt it on the rear. that is one reason i did it i want to eventually get wheel with a nice deep dish{ less back space]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 9c1 rear end in an OCC   9c1 rear end in an OCC Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

9c1 rear end in an OCC
Page 1 of 1