GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Seondary air pump delete

Go down 
+2
phantom 309
dmg4
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dmg4
dmg4

Seondary air pump delete Empty
PostSubject: Seondary air pump delete   Seondary air pump delete Icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2016 9:46 pm

Yes, I know there is already a thread on this topic, but I have a different question. My 1996 Caprice still has the pump installed. If I follow the removal procedure outlined in the TSB (http://www.impalassforum.com/tech/engine/air_pump/air_pump.htm), is it possible to then drive the car a short distance to a dealer to reprogram the PCM? Are there any adverse consequences to driving the car with the secondary air pump removed but without reprogramming the PCM?
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Seondary air pump delete   Seondary air pump delete Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2016 6:58 pm

Scrounging around online, it would seem that running with the pump deleted would generate error codes, but not significantly affect engine function, correct?

Found this video on YouTube that shows what's involved in a complete removal of the junk.  See:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea3mA_UFla8. The TSB only provides a method to disconnect the system and cap the port near the MAF sensor. It would be so much more fun to rip out the entire mess.

I've got the 5/8" flared caps to close off the exhaust manifold ports (Thank you Lowes).   I'll yank the system next week and send the PCM out for tuning.  If I have to pay to reprogram the PCM, I might as well pick up a stray HP and MPG or two while I'm at it.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Seondary air pump delete   Seondary air pump delete Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2016 8:46 pm

you might do what i do,. and unplug the air pump, and drive on, then the hood lights still works,.

The air pump is only used on start up,.

what year is the car?
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Seondary air pump delete   Seondary air pump delete Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2016 11:23 pm

The car is a 1996 Caprice. I've already installed a switch on the underhood light feed, so I guess I could power it from the battery.

Did you "unplug" the hose to the MAF, the relay, or both?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Seondary air pump delete   Seondary air pump delete Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2016 6:58 am

the back of the pump?
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Seondary air pump delete   Seondary air pump delete Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2016 7:39 am

Dang cryptic senior citizens. What about the back of the pump? The TSB calls for capping the port at the air filter/MAF box thingy. As I understand it, I need to disconnect and cap both the electrical and hose connections, yes?
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Seondary air pump delete   Seondary air pump delete Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2016 6:00 am

Completed the removal of the pump, relay and associated hoses, and voila....no check engine light or codes. I did not cut out the aluminum tubes running under the engine, as they are the mounting surfaces for some unidentified electronics, but they aren't hurting anything.

Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Seondary air pump delete   Seondary air pump delete Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2016 8:19 am

It sure makes a lot more room to work under the hood!
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Seondary air pump delete   Seondary air pump delete Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2016 9:46 am

No before and after pics?
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Seondary air pump delete   Seondary air pump delete Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2016 10:16 am

Quote :
No before and after pics?

Even better: in 4 weeks we can look under the hoods at Wagonfest and compare the views of the engines with and without the pumps and associated junk.

The above YouTube video does show the process and end result, as well as the accumulated pile of parts on the garage floor.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Seondary air pump delete   Seondary air pump delete Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 5:57 am

Just to avoid any future complications with annual inspections, I thought I'd pick up one of the GM stickers for this TSB procedure (GM Part #12569123).  26 BUCKS on FleaBay for STICKER?  What a ripoff!  So, I made my own in PowerPoint.  Printed on glossy stock and printed on any inkjet or laserprinter, it is better than the original, as I added the reference number of the TSB.

That should satisfy any martinet at an inspection station.

=144248325&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0]https://s1379.photobucket.com/user/dmg4atcornell/media/TSBLabel_zpslekh0u8g.jpg.html?filters[user]=144248325&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Seondary air pump delete   Seondary air pump delete Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 11:13 pm

someone on the impala ss site made their own and changed disabled to remove. some states wanted the pump to still be on the mtr just disconnected
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Seondary air pump delete   Seondary air pump delete Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2016 5:43 am

Quote :
some states wanted the pump to still be on the mtr just disconnected

Interesting.   That's why I added the reference to the GM Technical Service Bulletin.  

In my day job I deal with government regulators on a daily basis.  In nearly all cases, an official-looking document is like Obie Wan telling them that "this is not the droid you are looking for".
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Seondary air pump delete   Seondary air pump delete Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2016 10:55 am

dmg4 wrote:
Just to avoid any future complications with annual inspections, I thought I'd pick up one of the GM stickers for this TSB procedure (GM Part #12569123).  26 BUCKS on FleaBay for STICKER?  What a ripoff!  So, I made my own in PowerPoint.  Printed on glossy stock and printed on any inkjet or laserprinter, it is better than the original, as I added the reference number of the TSB.

That should satisfy any martinet at an inspection station.

=144248325&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0]https://s1379.photobucket.com/user/dmg4atcornell/media/TSBLabel_zpslekh0u8g.jpg.html?filters[user]=144248325&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
Nice work...very official looking. cheers

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
paart

PostSubject: Re: Seondary air pump delete   Seondary air pump delete Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2016 8:46 pm

mtrhead79 wrote:
someone on the impala ss site made their own and changed disabled to remove. some states wanted the pump to still be on the mtr just disconnected

Yeh, good old Pennsylvania!
It seems that there’s a really stupid law on the books that states that no emissions related equipment can be removed from the vehicle! The TSB shows how to disable (not remove the pump), since GM didn’t want to pay anymore warranty labor than they had to.
The guy who did the inspection was a “by the book” kind of guy, and he quoted the rule to me. Since I don’t trust the one way valves in the piping off the manifold, I had sawed everything off and plugged the exhaust manifolds.
After some discussion, the inspector said that he would call PennDOT and consult with them. Six hours later a call came back from them that it was okay to pass the car! Whew!
In those six hours I was debating between finding the stuff in a junkyard, pulling the motor and reinstalling it, or moving out of Pennsylvania!

Dave.hays likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seondary air pump delete   Seondary air pump delete Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seondary air pump delete
Page 1 of 1