GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tail light lens removal

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SF SoBay

SF SoBay

Tail light lens removal Empty
PostSubject: Tail light lens removal   Tail light lens removal Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2016 1:03 am

I am in the process of installing a camera on the tail gate to operate when in reverse. The power for the camera is to be wired to a backup light. The wiring is through the tail gate and will be terminated at the left backup light. I’ve removed the two screws that secure the lens and am not able to remove the lens. Aside from the two screws are there others fasteners? If no other fasteners are present, what is the technique to free the lens? I tried “tail light lens removal” in search and got 166 hits without this specific topic addressed. This is my first attempt at a topic; please forgive any transgressions of protocol.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Tail light lens removal   Tail light lens removal Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2016 8:06 am

Yes you have to remove the interior panel and remove the plastic nut.
Back to top Go down
SF SoBay

SF SoBay

PostSubject: Re: Tail light lens removal   Tail light lens removal Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2016 11:27 am

Done and thank you, Roady-man, getting acquainted with the bits and pieces.

Bill
Back to top Go down
SF SoBay

SF SoBay

PostSubject: Re: Tail light lens removal   Tail light lens removal Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2016 3:28 pm

Success, back up camera installed and operating, the RMW is longer that my Volvo wagon. I needed help judging where my rear end, ends.
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Tail light lens removal   Tail light lens removal Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 1:01 am

Did you happen to take any photos of the mod? Where is the camera mounted exactly.
Back to top Go down
SF SoBay

SF SoBay

PostSubject: Re: Tail light lens removal   Tail light lens removal Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 1:46 am

I didn’t think to take pictures, my bad! The camera is centered at the top of the license plate. I removed the carpeted cover on the tailgate. I then removed the four nuts that secured the module containing the license plate lights. Removed that module and separated the rubber backing to give access to the left license light lens. Removed the bulb worked the lens out and trimmed some plastic off the corner of the lens to allow clearance for the wire from the camera. Drilled tailgate below and to the right of a mounting hole in steps up to 5/16 bit size. Installed a ¼ inch rubber grommet and fed the wire through and reinstalled the license light module. Ran the wire to the left and down to the wire chase with the rubber flex. Three screws to remove an access panel. Removed the four screws and separated the flex from the tail gate and the body. Fed a brazing rod through the straightened flex, taped a pull string to the rod and withdrew the rod, taped the wire to the pull string and drew the wire through. With the interior cover removed (pull the screws holding the compartment door) find the wire bundle to the tail lights. The green wire is positive for the backup light and the black is the negative. Make those terminations with the negative cable off the battery.
Long winded, hope it’s helpful.
Back to top Go down
SF SoBay

SF SoBay

PostSubject: Re: Tail light lens removal   Tail light lens removal Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 2:06 am

It might be noteworthy to indicate which system I purchased. Having read reviews, I choose Yada brand with a 4.3” monitor. They offer three monitor sizes. I have free shipping as a Prime member of Amazon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tail light lens removal   Tail light lens removal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tail light lens removal
Page 1 of 1