GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Parking Brake stuck

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

Parking Brake stuck Empty
PostSubject: Parking Brake stuck   Parking Brake stuck Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 12:54 pm

I've been pretty busy these last few months and brought the car into a shop to get a few things fixed before driving accross the continent next month. I got them to change the fuel pump and sender, install my class 3 hitch (only been in my shed for 5 years...), fix my wiper hoses so I can clean the winshield now (BC is awesome cause I haven't had to use the wash function in 4 years).

My parking brake was working fine when I moved here 4 years ago but now it won't set. It doesn't ratchet o engage when I press the pedal (doesn't move any parts at the drums). The mechaninc told me I need 3 cables replaced. He said the front one is frayed, and the rear ones that go to the drums are done too. He tried to locate parts but the suppliers here say no joy. I just looked up the parts and they look available on Rockauto. Rear cables seem pretty obviously identified as right/left and sedan/wagon. I just want to confirm that the front cable is the same on all B-bodies.

Any secret tricks to fixing the existing cable ? I think it's probably binding somewhere.

Any brands you guys prefer over others ? Is this one of those parts that it's better to avoid Dorman ?

I need to get the E-brake working for the provincial inspection.

thanks
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake stuck   Parking Brake stuck Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 5:22 pm

The front cable should be the same, and all of the wagons have the same rear cables. The sedans with the large drums should be the same as the wagons.

If the cable is frayed, you should change it. Since it is just a cable, I would not worry about the Dorman brand, they should be OK.

The existing cable could be binding where they enter the brake backing plate. There are sheaths over the cables from about the rear axle to the backing plates. Corrosion in the sheaths could be your issue. There is a rust remover that was advertised on Engine Power recently, and it may be something that you could soak your rear cables in to get rid of any rust, then lubricate them well.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake stuck   Parking Brake stuck Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 11:19 pm

cool thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake stuck   Parking Brake stuck Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Parking Brake stuck
Page 1 of 1