GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

96 rmw hitch , springs etc...!!!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TrackRacer

96 rmw hitch , springs etc...!!! Empty
PostSubject: 96 rmw hitch , springs etc...!!!   96 rmw hitch , springs etc...!!! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2016 8:23 pm

Hello everyone, just picked up a 96 buick roadmaster wagon. Equipped with the tow package. I have a few questions regarding towing.
1) where can i find a class 3 hitch?
2) id like to lower the wagon, if i go that route what can i do to keep the ride height with my race trailer??
3) where is the onboard compressor?!!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 96 rmw hitch , springs etc...!!!   96 rmw hitch , springs etc...!!! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2016 9:59 pm

The onboard compressor is behind the front bumper cover, at the left, behind the wheelhouse extension.

To keep the ride height, you can either use the original style air shocks, or non air shocks and airbags inside the springs. You will have to put a small piece of exhaust pipe on the top spring mounts to keep the springs from falling out when changing tires/jacking the car. This might cause issues with the airbags, so you would probably be better off using air shocks. The sensor at the rear axle can be modified to the height of the car with a different length/shape rod between the axle and body. There are a number of companies that make springs.

Class III hitches are no longer made, except for custom units. You may be able to find one on a junk yard wagon.
Back to top Go down
Dr.Oldsmobile

PostSubject: Re: 96 rmw hitch , springs etc...!!!   96 rmw hitch , springs etc...!!! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2016 9:33 am

Back to top Go down
TrackRacer

PostSubject: Re: 96 rmw hitch , springs etc...!!!   96 rmw hitch , springs etc...!!! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2016 12:52 pm

I messaged kds performance and they still make class 3 hitchs! And they are local to me.

For the rear suspension is there a link to see how to adjust the sensor for the rear air shocks?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 96 rmw hitch , springs etc...!!!   96 rmw hitch , springs etc...!!! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2016 1:02 pm

There is no link that I know of. There is a ball and socket joint on each end, with a threaded shaft between them. Depending on the new ride height, you may be able to insert a shorter shaft, or make a bracket to produce the desired distance between the axle and sensor. It does require a totally flexible ball joint on both ends to compensate for all possible axle movements.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: 96 rmw hitch , springs etc...!!!   96 rmw hitch , springs etc...!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2019 9:35 pm

has anyone bought this KDS hitch? any comments on the quality, installation, etc ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 96 rmw hitch , springs etc...!!!   96 rmw hitch , springs etc...!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

96 rmw hitch , springs etc...!!!
Page 1 of 1