GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Air springs VS coil springs

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
redcaddy

redcaddy

Air springs VS coil springs Empty
PostSubject: Air springs VS coil springs   Air springs VS coil springs Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 9:49 am

Has anyone replaced their rear coil springs with convoluted air springs? (or all 4 corners?)

Most suspension mod's discussed here consist of installing heavier coil springs and adjustable shocks, what I'm considering, for my '89 Boxie, is a more comprehensive approach.

I'm contemplating:  
Replace upper and lower locating arms with urethane bushed, tubular or aluminum bar stock arms ,replace the coil springs with air springs, air shocks with adjustable. a 1 inch sway bar would complete the makeover.

Has anybody done a change over like this? or just a bag upgrade?

I'm not looking to raise or lower the ride height much, but keep the ability to adjust the ride height for heavy loads or towing.

The urethane bushings and heavy duty bars will stop the sway caused by soft rubber bushing and allow smoother control of bounce and rebound by the shocks.(trying to keep the "luxury" ride) as well as making a weight equalizing hitch more effective at controlling sway at speed.

None of the air spring vendors I have contacted, so far, offer a kit for our wagons, but Ride Tech has started to engineer a wagon specific system, based on the universal builders kit they offer. (I have 4 Fo335, 3200 Lb. double convoluted air springs on hand, to start with.)

I'm not sure how much the wagon setup is different from the sedan, anybody have input?

Let the bench racing begin...

Thanks, Paul
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Air springs VS coil springs   Air springs VS coil springs Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 11:54 am

In theory, we've been lead to believe the chassis is the same under the Boxies as it is under the 91-96 models. Might open up more options with that in mind.

Dave
Back to top Go down
redcaddy

redcaddy

PostSubject: Re: Air springs VS coil springs   Air springs VS coil springs Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2014 8:11 am

Huh ?

Paul
Back to top Go down
steel-and-fire

PostSubject: Re: Air springs VS coil springs   Air springs VS coil springs Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2014 10:36 am

I know lower control arms and sway bar make a monumental difference in handling. My wagon went from leaning turns to flat, level turns. Replacing the rubber (sometimes dry rotted and brittle rubber) with polyurethane is good to do.

As for bags, I really don't know enough to give good advice. I know people on the impalassforum use helper bags within their coil springs. This was just a quick search. There are probably better threads than this one.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/air-60755/overview/make/buick/model/roadmaster

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=231599

As for a complete airbag system, I really can't comment.

What Lakeeffect said was that any mods for the 91-96 wagons should be doable on ours since the frames and suspension are roughly the same. If it works on theirs it should work on ours.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/weltallid123
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Air springs VS coil springs   Air springs VS coil springs Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2014 5:38 pm

I have Airlift 1000 bags and compressor system on the rear of my car.  They are in a set of Impala SS rear springs and following a set of Hotchkis springs in the front.  As well I have a rear "Panther" bar from a full size Ford and a 9C1 bar in the front.  With Billstein shocks it handles well.
Back to top Go down
redcaddy

redcaddy

PostSubject: Re: Air springs VS coil springs   Air springs VS coil springs Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2014 10:15 pm

Bumpity, bump, bump

Thanks, paul
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Air springs VS coil springs   Air springs VS coil springs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Air springs VS coil springs
Page 1 of 1