GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Quirky problems

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Quirky problems Empty
PostSubject: Quirky problems   Quirky problems Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 8:48 am

If you followed the episodes with my 91 OCC, you know the wierd symptoms I have encountered. The fix for my LO3 was the ECM ground at the thermostat.

The legacy of that ground issue is one more item. Due to the ground fault, the engine ran rich for a period of time. The symptoms started as quitting at lights, surging, and poor gas mileage, which got even worse over time. The minimal power of the LO3 slowly became a shadow of its former self, to the point that it was scary to pull out on a city street. Along with this, my nice rumble from the exhaust became a meer whisper. This translated into the catalytic converter melting down and equates to another $200 repair.

If there is a moral to this story, it is: keep your grounds in good condition, they can cause a variety of problems, and cost you a lot of hard earned cash. It cost me 50 cents to check and clean the ground. If I had checked it first, I would have saved 6 months of agonizing over whether the car would run that day, and probably $700 in repairs and parts, as well as numerous hours of personal labor (there were a lot of things I would have rather done during that time frame).

For now all is back to normal (whatever that is) and I feel confident that the car will go when I push on the gas pedal. Now to get the hit and run parking lot scrape on my rear bumper and tail gate fixed. It never ends.

Last edited by Fred Kiehl on Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

Quirky problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quirky problems   Quirky problems Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 9:30 am

An expensive lesson to learn but it's guaranteed you won't do it again. Wink

Glad you have everything back to normal!
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
brokecello
brokecello

Quirky problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quirky problems   Quirky problems Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Yeah, I keep that in mind whenever I hook up a ground on the '96. Clean, clean and clean...metal to metal!

Glad you have it good to go Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
sherlock9c1

Quirky problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quirky problems   Quirky problems Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 8:07 pm

70% of complaints after bodyshop work are traced to bad grounds or paint on the grounds. Lesson learned - any weird electrical problems, check grounds first. The notorious LT1 bad ground is on the stud next to the ignition coil.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Quirky problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quirky problems   Quirky problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quirky problems
Page 1 of 1