GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Horn problems.

Go down 
+3
Fred Kiehl
silverfox103
VT Wagon
7 posters
AuthorMessage
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

Horn problems. Empty
PostSubject: Horn problems.   Horn problems. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 6:11 pm

On to the next issue.

Where are the horns in my '96 confused
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

Horn problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn problems.   Horn problems. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 7:47 pm

Driver side, front corner, between fender and inner fender.

Tom
Back to top Go down
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

Horn problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn problems.   Horn problems. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 7:58 pm

So I guess I need to take that fender liner out? Good thing I got practice with the passenger liner doing the antenna repair. Rolling Eyes

96 Roadmaster Wagon
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

Horn problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn problems.   Horn problems. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 8:10 pm

VT Wagon wrote:
So I guess I need to take that fender liner out?  Good thing I got  practice with the passenger liner doing the  antenna repair. Rolling Eyes
96 Roadmaster Wagon

No, open the hood, remove the air filter housing, you should be able to see the horns. Held on by one bolt each.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Horn problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn problems.   Horn problems. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 8:43 pm

Not everything is designed to be difficult. The horns are usually not the problem. Check them before removing them. There is a connector with a green wire that you can connect to the battery positive terminal to test the horns.
Back to top Go down
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

Horn problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn problems.   Horn problems. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 5:52 pm

Is it possible to access the buttons inside the air bag?
I like this article, but the pictures are missing.
http://badass-of-ne.forumotion.com/t1888-replacement-of-crappy-1991-93-factory-hornbuttons-with-doorbellspics
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Horn problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn problems.   Horn problems. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 6:32 pm

I repaired some of the OEM horn buttons with some 1/8 inch brass tubing, and JB Weld. I heated the end of the tube, and carefully melted a "socket" on the inside of the push buttons for 4 tubes (two each where the original plastic post/clips were. I then roughed up the surface around the sockets. I made a tool from a jeweler's screw driver, and a short piece of tubing to insert 1/2 inch long tubes in the sockets. I put JB Weld on the surface just below the depth of the sides of the button at the tube sockets. I aligned and taped the button to the base, and inserted the tubes into the JB Weld and made sure they were wet. Do not allow the JB Weld extend above the edge of the button, or it will interfere with the travel of the switch. Properly placed sockets will align the button with the base when the tubes are installed. I tried the buttons and they work and look like they are original. Only time will tell how sturdy the repair is. The design is pretty bad. You could put a small push-on, release-off switch on the base, but it will be difficult to keep the buttons aligned without the guides (brass tubes), unless you can attach the button to the switch. JB Weld may work for other designs.
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

Horn problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn problems.   Horn problems. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 7:17 pm

So your problems are the horns don't work? I had an issue with the horn staying on. Had one of the two horn buttons sticking. Disconnected the one side and good to go
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Horn problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn problems.   Horn problems. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 7:35 pm

71novaguy wrote:
So your problems are the horns don't work? I had an issue with the horn staying on. Had one of the two horn buttons sticking. Disconnected the one side and good to go

Brilliant fix, but absolutely useless in this situation.
Back to top Go down
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

Horn problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn problems.   Horn problems. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 7:57 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
I repaired some of the OEM horn buttons with some 1/8 inch brass tubing, and JB Weld. I heated the end of the tube, and carefully melted a "socket" on the inside of the push buttons for 4 tubes (two each where the original plastic post/clips were. I then roughed up the surface around the sockets. I made a tool from a jeweler's screw driver, and a short piece of tubing to insert 1/2 inch long tubes in the sockets. I put JB Weld on the surface just below the depth of the sides of the button at the tube sockets. I aligned and taped the button to the base, and inserted the tubes into the JB Weld and made sure they were wet. Do not allow the JB Weld extend above the edge of the button, or it will interfere with the travel of the switch. Properly placed sockets will align the button with the base when the tubes are installed. I tried the buttons and they work and look like they are original. Only time will tell how sturdy the repair is. The design is pretty bad. You could put a small push-on, release-off switch on the base, but it will be difficult to keep the buttons aligned without the guides (brass tubes), unless you can attach the button to the switch. JB Weld may work for other designs.

I'm still not clear on the issue. What am I pushing on and how do I get to it?
I have a red spring loaded contact that goes down into the wheel, also a black ground wire that clips into the wheel. When I jump these I would think the horn should sound. It doesn't. There is some sort of plastic circuit board between the vinyl and the air bag.
Back to top Go down
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

Horn problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn problems.   Horn problems. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 8:40 pm

Ok, so I went deep on the horn repair. Turns out one horn is burned out and causing a high resistance and blowing the fuse.

Down to one horn, but it works. Off to buy some tug boats. Laughing
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

Horn problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn problems.   Horn problems. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 9:05 pm

Huh? Burned out should mean lower resistance. Meaning no resistance as it could not pass thru.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

Horn problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn problems.   Horn problems. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 10:48 pm

I think Fred is talking about the 91-93 style horn buttons (actual separate buttons on either side of the air bag) and VTwagon is dealing with a 94-96 style (a membrane switch squeezed between the vinyl cover and the air bag itself).

The latter seem most likely to fail closed -- so the dang horn gets real sensitive or won't shut off. Probably because the vinyl shrinks with age.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Horn problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn problems.   Horn problems. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 11:01 am

VT Wagon wrote:
Ok, so I went deep on the horn repair.  Turns out one horn is burned out and causing a high resistance and blowing the fuse.

Down to one horn, but it works.  Off to buy some tug boats.  Laughing

71novaguy wrote:
Huh? Burned out should mean lower resistance. Meaning no resistance as it could not pass thru.

Burned out can mean that the coil wire is severed by heat or mechanical action. This would lead to an open or a reading of infinity, not "no" or "0" resistance which would be a short. Burned out can also mean a short if the unit is fused, or bypassed, and that would blow a fuse. Either description can be valid, and the horn will still not work. 

In this case it is a short "no resistance or 0", because it blew the fuse, not high resistance where the fuse would not blow. Knowing that the fuse was blown would have provided the information to make a much easier diagnosis to the "no horns" issue.
Back to top Go down
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

Horn problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn problems.   Horn problems. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 5:47 pm

Well, I'm learning everyday about this car. I removed the dead horn and no more fuse popping.
Back to top Go down
rjathon

rjathon

Horn problems. Empty
PostSubject: 1996 Horn super sensitive   Horn problems. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2014 4:31 pm

buickwagon wrote:
I think Fred is talking about the 91-93 style horn buttons (actual separate buttons on either side of the air bag) and VTwagon is dealing with a 94-96 style (a membrane switch squeezed between the vinyl cover and the air bag itself).

The latter seem most likely to fail closed -- so the dang horn gets real sensitive or won't shut off. Probably because the vinyl shrinks with age.

How hard is this to fix?

Thanks,

Russ
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

Horn problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn problems.   Horn problems. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2014 9:19 am

Assuming you are asking about the 94-96 membrane switch, the official fix is to replace the air bag module. Pricey.

However, some of the Corvette guys have been fixing theirs. Here's a couple of links to look at:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/1739923-horn-membrane-fix.html

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2012/05/c5-horn-switch-fix/

And here is the replacement switch that they are using:

http://www.amazon.com/Corvette-Central-1997-2004-Horn-Contact/dp/B00399DXWG

I have not (yet) had to repair mine, so I have no idea if that switch could be made to fit our B-bodies. I suspect it's a different shape.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Horn problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn problems.   Horn problems. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2014 11:54 am

VT Wagon wrote:
Well, I'm learning everyday about this car.  I removed the dead horn and no more fuse popping.

Take the dead horn,. submerge it in some diesel for a day or so,.
hit it sharply with a hammer a few times,. use a set of booster cables and try jumping it,..

it just might 'come back to life'
Back to top Go down
rjathon

rjathon

Horn problems. Empty
PostSubject: Airbag Module   Horn problems. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2014 12:41 pm

buickwagon wrote:
Assuming you are asking about the 94-96 membrane switch, the official fix is to replace the air bag module. Pricey.

However, some of the Corvette guys have been fixing theirs. Here's a couple of links to look at:

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2012/05/c5-horn-switch-fix/

And here is the replacement switch that they are using:

http://www.amazon.com/Corvette-Central-1997-2004-Horn-Contact/dp/B00399DXWG

I have not (yet) had to repair mine, so I have no idea if that switch could be made to fit our B-bodies. I suspect it's a different shape.

Hi Buickwagon,

I removed the airbag from a 1996 Roadmaster sedan. Could I simply exchange it and fix the problem? It is blue while the wagon one is tan but I don't mind.

Thanks,

Russ
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

Horn problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn problems.   Horn problems. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2014 5:28 pm

I don't know of any difference between the sedan and wagon airbags. If it's the same size then colour doesn't matter to function. Maybe you could even match the colour with a spray bomb of vinyl paint.
Back to top Go down
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

Horn problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn problems.   Horn problems. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2014 9:36 pm

buickwagon wrote:

That's cool. Way better pictures. Unfortunately instead of melted plastic retainers the Buick is riveted together.
I didn't want to go down that rabbit hole so I just unplugged the side that wouldn't shut off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Horn problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn problems.   Horn problems. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Horn problems.
Page 1 of 1