GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Horn contactor pin

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Big Jack

Horn contactor pin Empty
PostSubject: Horn contactor pin   Horn contactor pin Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2016 7:21 pm

Hi Guys.
My horn doesn't work.
The previous owner rigger up a button on the dash (yuck!) for it to sound.
Both switches in the airbag close & horn relay closes correctly.
It looks like the copper contactor pin in the column may be worn to the point where it is too short to make contact with the brass slip ring. Pin only extends about 3/8" past housing.
Dorman has a part for earlier GM's (#83230) that looks like it may work, but I'd like to hear from anyone who could verify this.
Does anyone know at what length the contactor pin becomes useless?
Thanks.

Horn contactor pin Contactor_zpsbcxh6ltx

https://2img.net/h/i38.photobucket.com/albums/e137/jackzar/contactor_zpsbcxh6ltx.jpg
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Horn contactor pin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn contactor pin   Horn contactor pin Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2016 8:53 pm

You can check the continuity of the pin to the horn relay without the ring. If the continuity is not there, you know that something between the pins is not making contact. You can also check the ring to the horn relay pin with the ring in the installed position. Check the contact of the spring plunger contact to the slip ring as well. Start with everything assembled, and work you way to where you have continuity. The last part you took off will be the missing connection, and either that part or the one it touches is the culprit.

If you can disassemble the pin from the turn signal switch, you can verify the shape of the Dorman part vs. the original one.

I have some issues with my horns, and did not consider that the pin you are looking at would be the culprit. I will have to check mine.
Back to top Go down
Big Jack

Horn contactor pin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn contactor pin   Horn contactor pin Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2016 4:57 pm

There was free play in the pin that prevented pin from contacting ring. It's fixed now
I pulled out the retainer under the pin. The spring between pin & retainer was too short, so I stretched it out bit so there is no pin free play when it's back together.
I hope the white grease I put on the ring is the right stuff.
Now I just need a 4 note horn elephant
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Horn contactor pin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn contactor pin   Horn contactor pin Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2016 10:02 pm

I have a set of right side RM horns.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Horn contactor pin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn contactor pin   Horn contactor pin Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Horn contactor pin
Page 1 of 1