GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Horn goes off by itself.

Go down 
+3
Flyingtaco
Swaggerwagon
Mark 96 Roady
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mark 96 Roady

Horn goes off by itself.  Empty
PostSubject: Horn goes off by itself.    Horn goes off by itself.  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2021 11:06 pm

Awhile back the horn on my 96 Roady wagon decided to start honking at (of course) 4:30 am! I banged on the steering wheel horn button, and it stopped, but to be safe I pulled the horn fuse. I'd like to of course fix it, but what do I need to do? Any help is appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Swaggerwagon

Swaggerwagon

PostSubject: Re: Horn goes off by itself.    Horn goes off by itself.  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2021 8:55 am

Happened to me on my old 95 RMW. If you pulled the fuse, it’s, uh, already fixed!
I do believe it’s the switch in the steering wheel itself, not the clock spring. I would push on the airbag cover to one side, and it would stop honking. I pulled the fuse, and told myself I would fix it ‘soon’. So obviously, I never did.
Pop the airbag out of the wheel, and look around. You got nothing to lose. Either you can fix it, or you need to replace the steering wheel. Or leave the fuse out.
Back to top Go down
Flyingtaco

PostSubject: Re: Horn goes off by itself.    Horn goes off by itself.  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2021 10:39 am

If you pull the airbag off (there's two torx screws on the back of the wheel to do this) you'll see 3 electrical connectors, one big one for the airbag and 2 small ones for the horn. Test the two small ones with a multimeter to see which one is closed and unplug it, then you'll have a horn on one side. When that one eventually breaks, the best option is to just wire a different button to those connectors, I have mine mounted to the back of the steering wheel.
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

PostSubject: Re: Horn goes off by itself.    Horn goes off by itself.  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2021 3:01 pm

Horn goes off by itself.  20200211

when I got my 94 rmw, I noticed that the horn fuse had been removed, the moment I put a new fuse in the horn started going off, so the pic above is how I fixed it, just clipped one of the small wires for the horn button tied the new button in and now I have a working horn and a working airbag still.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Horn goes off by itself.    Horn goes off by itself.  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2021 3:13 pm

I don't think I'd be bragging about that job, that's about as crude as it gets!

Tom
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

PostSubject: Re: Horn goes off by itself.    Horn goes off by itself.  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2021 7:50 pm

it didn't even take me 20 minutes to do. I do plan on trying to make a bracket for the button on my 3d printer to hide the wires, and also move the button to a better location so it's harder to hit accidently.
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: Horn goes off by itself.    Horn goes off by itself.  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2021 10:09 pm

It might be easier to just fix it?

silverfox103 and Rev Bob like this post

Back to top Go down
Flyingtaco

PostSubject: Re: Horn goes off by itself.    Horn goes off by itself.  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2021 9:24 am

There's not really a clean fix for it other than tracking down a new airbag or switching to an aftermarket wheel. The horn switch is integral to the airbag and unlike on corvettes it can't be drilled out and replaced as far as I know.

Finding somewhere to hide an aftermarket horn button is pretty much the only long term solution that keeps the airbag.
Back to top Go down
RoadKutter

PostSubject: Re: Horn goes off by itself.    Horn goes off by itself.  Icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2021 4:28 pm

Mark 96 Roady wrote:
Awhile back the horn on my 96 Roady wagon decided to start honking at (of course) 4:30 am! I banged on the steering wheel  horn button,  and it stopped, but to be safe I pulled the horn fuse. I'd like to of course fix it, but what do I need to do? Any help is appreciated!

Mine did the exact same thing only around 3am, lol

On mine it was the little plastic connector for the horn wire. I guess when the previous owner installed the aftermarket steering wheel it did not line up well and eventually failed. Have a generic doorman replacement but have not had time to replace it yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Horn goes off by itself.    Horn goes off by itself.  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Horn goes off by itself.
Page 1 of 1