GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Another horn question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kellanium

Another horn question Empty
PostSubject: Another horn question   Another horn question Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2018 9:15 pm

So alright, I got the car yesterday and now I'm trying to get the horn to work. I have a few questions:

Firstly, the horns shorted out recently. Are there common short points to start looking at?

Second, do the switches under the airbag control a different horn than the one on the dashboard under the shifter?

Third, if the airbag switches control a different horn, what kind of switch would y'all recommend retrofitting? I already searched and finding another airbag just for the switches seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Thank y'all in advance!
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: Another horn question   Another horn question Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2018 10:51 pm

What year and model is your car?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Another horn question   Another horn question Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2018 10:52 pm

First, what car do you have?

The horn(s) are supposed to be controlled by the horn buttons on the steering wheel. Any other buttons that are hooked to the horn are not OEM.

If your horns short out, they would be on all of the time. If they stopped working, you have an open.

You can start by getting out your VOM, and either check for voltage, or an open circuit. You can start at either end of the circuit.
Back to top Go down
Kellanium

PostSubject: Re: Another horn question   Another horn question Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2018 10:55 pm

Sorry, 95 roadmaster wagon. Long day, kind of fuzzyheaded.

Forgive me, i'm a total noob at this stuff.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Another horn question   Another horn question Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2018 11:16 pm

You need to start trouble shooting.
Back to top Go down
Kellanium

PostSubject: Re: Another horn question   Another horn question Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2018 11:34 pm

I’m sorry. Like I said I’m new at this.

The problem I have is that the horn honks for a bit and then stops and blows the fuse. My dad said that means it’s shorting our but he’s also not the best car guy.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Another horn question   Another horn question Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2018 9:26 am

I would try putting a different horn in it. The "speaker" coil in the horn is probably distorting, and shorting internally as it heats up.
Back to top Go down
Kellanium

PostSubject: Re: Another horn question   Another horn question Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2018 9:54 am

Ah ok. That kinda makes me sad. I liked the way it sounded. Makes sense though. Thank you, Fred!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Another horn question   Another horn question Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2018 10:00 am

You can get a set of horns just like the ones you have from a P-N-P junk yard. While you are at it, if you run a wire to the passenger's side, and get the passenger side horns from a RMS, or FW, you can have a much louder, and better sounding horn note.
Back to top Go down
Kellanium

PostSubject: Re: Another horn question   Another horn question Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2018 10:31 am

Thanks for the help!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another horn question   Another horn question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another horn question
Page 1 of 1