GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Got a response from a craigslist buyer on my car, reads like a scam?

Go down 
+3
Fred Kiehl
silverfox103
sdowney717
7 posters
AuthorMessage
sdowney717

Got a response from a craigslist buyer on my car, reads like a scam? Empty
PostSubject: Got a response from a craigslist buyer on my car, reads like a scam?   Got a response from a craigslist buyer on my car, reads like a scam? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 6:51 am

Have you looked up craigslist car scams? This response seems so scripted inline with what they say happens.

I have 2 Wagons, was looking to sell one. Got this response.

Thanks for the prompt response to my text.
I will be buying this
from you asap, so kindly withdraw the advert from the LIST. My husband
will be overnighting the payment asap but he will be paying with a
certified check from his Bank and it will deliver to you via USPS ,
so I'll need you to provide me with the following information to
facilitate the mailing of the check... And am offering additional $50
with the original price to have this asap.

Your Full Name to be on the payment:
Your Full Address to mail the payment:
Cell # to contact you :
Final Asking price:

I will make the pick up arrangements as soon as you have the check
clear. Am not be able to come with the cash and pick it up my self
due to my work frame and my Kids, but my husband will mail the check
out as soon as i have the information and the payment will be
deliver within 24hours..
Thanks
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Got a response from a craigslist buyer on my car, reads like a scam?   Got a response from a craigslist buyer on my car, reads like a scam? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 7:36 am

Don't even bother responding.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Got a response from a craigslist buyer on my car, reads like a scam?   Got a response from a craigslist buyer on my car, reads like a scam? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 7:57 am

If you choose to respond, respond with "I only accept postal money orders". You can also include that it will remain for sale until it is paid for in full.

BTW, that is the typical scam communication. I can assure you that the "certified check" will bounce higher than a super ball. It takes about a month, or two for the check to come back as no good. They are hoping they will get the car before you get the check back.

If you can, get their email, and turn it over to whatever authorities you can, in hopes of getting them caught.

They probably have 20 obummer phones, and will be hard to trace.
Back to top Go down
sdowney717

PostSubject: Re: Got a response from a craigslist buyer on my car, reads like a scam?   Got a response from a craigslist buyer on my car, reads like a scam? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 8:39 am

I refused to deal with them and heard nothing further, it struck me how closely it follows the scams I have read about.

I am thinking when I do sell the car about taking cash only, but what is a 'postal money order', are they somehow not able to be easily faked?

Craigslist warns you not to take money orders or cashier checks.

Ok looking up you can if educated discern maybe between real and fake USPS money orders.
http://www.fraudguides.com/internet/counterfeit-money-orders/
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Got a response from a craigslist buyer on my car, reads like a scam?   Got a response from a craigslist buyer on my car, reads like a scam? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 9:00 am

You have to be careful with cash too. There are a lot of fake $100 bill running around. Know your instruments of money, so you can tell what is real and what is fake. Handle money as much as possible.

Take payment with a postal money order at the local post office so that you can go in and verify the money order's authenticity before turning over the title and keys.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Got a response from a craigslist buyer on my car, reads like a scam?   Got a response from a craigslist buyer on my car, reads like a scam? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 9:25 am

Do the transaction at a bank, where the can check for the authentic bills vs counterfeit.
they also have cameras to record who comes in and out.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Got a response from a craigslist buyer on my car, reads like a scam?   Got a response from a craigslist buyer on my car, reads like a scam? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 9:31 am

Cash in person, that's my policy.
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Got a response from a craigslist buyer on my car, reads like a scam?   Got a response from a craigslist buyer on my car, reads like a scam? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 9:15 am

That's a scam, and a common one on craigslist. Cash in person only.
Back to top Go down
4oldcars

4oldcars

PostSubject: Re: Got a response from a craigslist buyer on my car, reads like a scam?   Got a response from a craigslist buyer on my car, reads like a scam? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 10:06 am

I have a Wells Fargo certified check for $35,000 hanging on my wall. It took about 3 weeks for it to come back. No, they didn't get the car. Don't trust NOBODY when it comes to money. And you know you can spray a fake hundred dollar bill with hairspray and a marker pen will show it as good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Got a response from a craigslist buyer on my car, reads like a scam?   Got a response from a craigslist buyer on my car, reads like a scam? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Got a response from a craigslist buyer on my car, reads like a scam?
Page 1 of 1