GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The small world we live in

Go down 
+2
Andebe
Funkwagon455
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Funkwagon455

The small world we live in Empty
PostSubject: The small world we live in   The small world we live in Icon_minitimeSat Apr 29, 2017 9:27 pm

I've been a regular participant,vendor at the Pate Swap Meet in Ft Worth, TX now for decades.  This year my normal space partner from NM had previously scheduled plans and I was forced to find another individual to help cover the expenses of leasing the spaces for the weekend.  I've known Richard from Austin for 25 plus years, and credit him for "biting" me with the B body wagon bug.  He has personally owned 14 of these magnificent machines.  He arrived to my house Wednesday with a super clean white '92 Olds Custom Cruiser with an aluminum car trailer loaded with parts for sale in tow.  When we discussed the car, he mentioned that he had purchased the car from a local guy "Mike Massey".  I replied, " I know who you are taking about!"  I had purchased my Buick try shield centers from Mike.  So I had the privilege of spending the weekend with my fellow B Body wagon friend, as well as riding and driving a fellow long roof forum member's previously owned rides.  1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser 75,000 miles, white with blue leather interior, loaded! Richard had added a set of Impala SS wheels with my signature "rocket" centers.  What a great way to spend a weekend!

Last edited by Funkwagon455 on Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammar)
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: The small world we live in   The small world we live in Icon_minitimeMon May 01, 2017 10:27 am

Isnt Texas a small world of its own? Wink That is one sweet OCC,cant believe you didnt post any pics.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: The small world we live in   The small world we live in Icon_minitimeMon May 01, 2017 12:24 pm

My old car! I miss it! Happily I see it around town now and then. Richard is an Olds nut, and I know it went to a good home.

For anyone interested, Dad and I flew to North Carolina to buy that car and had a great road-trip home in it. I posted all about it on the forum here: https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t7102-1598-miles-of-custom-cruising-across-the-usa?highlight=Custom+Cruiser

I like my Roadmaster wagon better, so all things work out in the end, but that '92 OCC is a beautiful car!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The small world we live in   The small world we live in Icon_minitimeMon May 01, 2017 4:49 pm

I went to Waco in that car!
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: The small world we live in   The small world we live in Icon_minitimeSun Sep 24, 2017 1:38 am

81X11 wrote:
My old car!   I miss it!   Happily I see it around town now and then.  Richard is an Olds nut, and I know it went to a good home.

For anyone interested, Dad and I flew to North Carolina to buy that car and had a great road-trip home in it.  I posted all about it on the forum here:  https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t7102-1598-miles-of-custom-cruising-across-the-usa?highlight=Custom+Cruiser

I like my Roadmaster wagon better, so all things work out in the end, but that '92 OCC is a beautiful car!

-Mike
Why do you like the Roadmaster better? If I had it to do over again, now that I know a lot more about wagons, I would have held out for a Custom Cruiser. For me? First, a lot fewer of them, although, anymore, any of our wagons are a rare sight. Secondly, the interior of my 96 Limited Roady has, and always will look cheap to me. The Olds looks much more like a luxury car to me. The door panels are superior to the Buick, and I think the seat design is classic. Plus, I like the funky map pocket. It's a shame Olds only made them for 2 years because otherwise there would certainly be more of them around.
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: The small world we live in   The small world we live in Icon_minitimeSun Sep 24, 2017 9:19 am

LT1 power, I suspect. Texas is home of 85mph legal highways. Gotta move over or get run over out there.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: The small world we live in   The small world we live in Icon_minitimeMon Sep 25, 2017 9:58 am

Second the power comment. Love the OCC,but hate getting passed by Camrys.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: The small world we live in   The small world we live in Icon_minitimeMon Sep 25, 2017 12:03 pm

It's funny, I do miss that car, but I remember driving the OCC home from dinner one night. I'd met my wife after work, me in the 92 OCC, her in our Yukon Denali. After dinner I had two kids in the OCC with me, and she had three in her Denali. Driving home she got beside me on the frontage road....and she smiled...and took off. I tried to catch her but she was GONE...the kids in the car with me were all laughing...she totally left the OCC and I for dead.

That does NOT happen with my LT1-powered 96 Roady Wagon!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: The small world we live in   The small world we live in Icon_minitimeMon Sep 25, 2017 12:23 pm

That's interesting.

Mom's 6.0 Escalade feels way faster than any stock B-body I've ever driven. I guess that's the LQ9 vs LQ4 difference though.

But yeah, TBI cars are slow. Pretty but slow. lol
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: The small world we live in   The small world we live in Icon_minitimeMon Sep 25, 2017 12:41 pm

RedandBlack wrote:
That's interesting.

Mom's 6.0 Escalade feels way faster than any stock B-body I've ever driven. I guess that's the LQ9 vs LQ4 difference though.

But yeah, TBI cars are slow. Pretty but slow. lol

That 92 OCC was the LO5 350 with the tow-pack, so had the 3.23 posi rear. It felt like a monster compared to my Olds 307-powered '89 Custom Cruiser I had before it, and in normal driving it had plenty of power. It only really felt lacking when compared to my LT1 Roadmaster Wagon.

Now that '92 Roadmaster Sedan I'm refurbishing now, with the same LO5 350, feels like a total DOG because of the hilarious 2.56 rear gears. It's amazing how much a difference gearing makes.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The small world we live in   The small world we live in Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The small world we live in
Page 1 of 1