GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

96 RMW Trans fluid

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Haze5736

96 RMW Trans fluid Empty
PostSubject: 96 RMW Trans fluid   96 RMW Trans fluid Icon_minitimeSun May 28, 2017 7:11 am

I dropped the trans pan yesterday to change out the fluid and filter. The FSM states that a pan drop should take about 5 quarts of fluid. Everything I've seen on the web confirms the approximate 5 quart amount for the 4l60e. Should I be concerned that I've added 6 quarts already and am barely registering on the dipstick? I'm pretty sure the car is level when checking. My driveway is just slightly off level so I got the rear up on 2" lumber, so close to 1-1/2" and it looks level to me. I just want to make sure nothing is wrong before I keep adding fluid. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

96 RMW Trans fluid Empty
PostSubject: Re: 96 RMW Trans fluid   96 RMW Trans fluid Icon_minitimeSun May 28, 2017 9:18 am

the dipstick never lies,....

If there is no puddle of fluid under the car, i,d hazard a guess the trans was low on fluid before you dropped the pan,.

are you adding quarts or litres,. ?

when it reaches full on the dipstick,. drive on.
Back to top Go down
Haze5736

96 RMW Trans fluid Empty
PostSubject: Re: 96 RMW Trans fluid   96 RMW Trans fluid Icon_minitimeSun May 28, 2017 10:18 am

i'm adding quarts.

I just wanted to be sure since I've never done this before. I'll top it off and be done.
Back to top Go down
Swaggerwagon

Swaggerwagon

96 RMW Trans fluid Empty
PostSubject: Re: 96 RMW Trans fluid   96 RMW Trans fluid Icon_minitimeSun May 28, 2017 11:29 am

Yea, I'm with phantom. Car is running when you're checking trans fluid, right? It's a silly question, but I gotta cover all the bases
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

96 RMW Trans fluid Empty
PostSubject: Re: 96 RMW Trans fluid   96 RMW Trans fluid Icon_minitimeSun May 28, 2017 4:26 pm

One possibility is an extra deep pan has been installed. Are you the original owner?

If a larger pan has been put on, the filter is different. Did you compare the old with the new?
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

96 RMW Trans fluid Empty
PostSubject: Re: 96 RMW Trans fluid   96 RMW Trans fluid Icon_minitimeMon May 29, 2017 12:43 am

I had a similar issue, and in my case the dipstick tube and seal wasn't seated in the trans, so it would always read low.
Back to top Go down
Haze5736

96 RMW Trans fluid Empty
PostSubject: Re: 96 RMW Trans fluid   96 RMW Trans fluid Icon_minitimeThu Jun 01, 2017 5:43 am

Swaggerwagon wrote:
Yea, I'm with phantom. Car is running when you're checking trans fluid, right? It's a silly question, but I gotta cover all the bases

Car was running, shifted through the gears. Reached operating temp.

Rev Bob wrote:
One possibility is an extra deep pan has been installed. Are you the original owner?

If a larger pan has been put on, the filter is different. Did you compare the old with the new?

I'm the third owner. The filter was identical.

lamune wrote:
I had a similar issue, and in my case the dipstick tube and seal wasn't seated in the trans, so it would always read low.

I'll have to check this out. Where can I get a good view of where the tube seats in the pan? Is it visible from a certain position or do I need to get my little inspection mirror out?

Last edited by Haze5736 on Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

96 RMW Trans fluid Empty
PostSubject: Re: 96 RMW Trans fluid   96 RMW Trans fluid Icon_minitimeFri Jun 02, 2017 1:37 am

Look at the tube from underneath, passenger side. It' on the top surface of where the pan bolts on.

The seal should be flush with the top of the case, the black rubber part is only a couple mm thick if it's seated properly. If you see the lip of the seal and then air, or ribs, the thing is popped out.
Back to top Go down
Haze5736

96 RMW Trans fluid Empty
PostSubject: Re: 96 RMW Trans fluid   96 RMW Trans fluid Icon_minitimeSun Jun 04, 2017 6:14 am

I checked out the tube and it seems to be seated properly. Although my seal looked to be maybe 1/4" thick. I guess I'll leave it as being filled to where it should be.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

96 RMW Trans fluid Empty
PostSubject: Re: 96 RMW Trans fluid   96 RMW Trans fluid Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

96 RMW Trans fluid
Page 1 of 1