GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered)

Go down 
+3
Fred Kiehl
RedandBlack
Brandt51
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Brandt51

Brandt51

Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) Empty
PostSubject: Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered)   Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2017 9:05 pm

Hello all,

As soon as I got my wagon a couple of weeks ago, I needed new tires, so I pulled the trigger on some Torq Thrust IIs in 17x8. After a lot of research, I decided on +14mm offset and 5" of back spacing. I opted for the Impala SS size Nitto 555s in 255/50/17. They looked good in the back with a deep dish, but the front was pretty far out. As it turns out, the dude at Discount Tire thought he knew better than what I specifically asked for and ordered the other 17x8 rim that had -11mm offset and 4" back spacing. They worked, but I DID NOT like the front look.

First two pics are of the -11mm offset/4" back spacing. The front was too far out, not the best picture though.
Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) -11mm_11
Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) -11mm_10

These next three pictures are the +14mm/5" back spacing wheels with the same 255/50/17s. I like the front sooooo much better. It doesn't seem to rub either.
Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) 14mm_o11
Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) 14mm_o10
Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) 14mm_o12

The rear looks good, but to be honest, I liked how the deeper dish of the -11mm/4" back spacing rim looked more. Unfortunately; it was really close to the lip. I considered keeping the rear that way, but thought better of it. This is a daily driver, having the same size tires, but off set rims would be silly.

American Racing TT2s specs page for reference: http://www.americanracing.com/wheelSpecs/5685/2221/18850/vn215-classic-torq-thrust-ii-1-piece?intYear=1995&intMakeID=45&vMat=Buick&intModelID=395&vMot=Roadmaster&intSubmodelID=&redirectTo=browse-wheels.cfm

TL/DR: +14mm offset/5" backing spacing Torq Trust IIs with 255/50/17s fit better.
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered)   Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2017 11:20 pm

Good looking combo.

Next up - strip and polish that wood beltline trim!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered)   Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2017 11:33 pm

You are fortunate you took the +14 offset. The optimum offset is +6mm (.2 inches), and that is stock for the Impala rims I have. You may get some rubbing on the anti-roll bar, and frame during tight corners. If you used the -11 offset on the front, the 255s would probably hit the wheelhouses. I have drop spindles on the front, and they act like -8 mm offset. I also have 1 inch equivalent drop springs, and that makes the tire about 1/8 inch closer to the wheelhouse after the camber adjustment. That is the equivalent of -10 offset total. That allows me to run a maximum of 215-60-17s on the front to barely clear the wheelhouses.
Back to top Go down
Brandt51

Brandt51

PostSubject: Re: Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered)   Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 22, 2017 6:59 pm

RedandBlack wrote:
Good looking combo.

Next up - strip and polish that wood beltline trim!

That's the final bit of work that'll get done. A replacement wood grain wrap...but I might do a version of the wood burl that the interior has. And most likely a chrome wrap on the outline framing.

Fred Kiehl wrote:
You are fortunate you took the +14 offset. The optimum offset is +6mm (.2 inches), and that is stock for the Impala rims I have. You may get some rubbing on the anti-roll bar, and frame during tight corners. If you used the -11 offset on the front, the 255s would probably hit the wheelhouses. I have drop spindles on the front, and they act like -8 mm offset. I also have 1 inch equivalent drop springs, and that makes the tire about 1/8 inch closer to the wheelhouse after the camber adjustment. That is the equivalent of -10 offset total. That allows me to run a maximum of 215-60-17s on the front to barely clear the wheelhouses.

The -11 was way too far out. I drove it that way for a couple of days, but yeah, I didn't trust it. I definitely wouldn't work on a lowered car. Good information on the spindles. That would put the wheels a little further out and make it look that much better.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered)   Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 22, 2017 7:06 pm

Putting the wheels out further will not make it look better if the tires hit the wheelhouses.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered)   Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 22, 2017 9:06 pm

Looks good. Thanks for sharing because I know what I want to put on my car now. Think it would be possible to paint the gray section Black? AR has wheels that color but not in this spacing.
Back to top Go down
Brandt51

Brandt51

PostSubject: Re: Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered)   Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 2:29 pm

Maybe, but the Torq Thrust Ms are 0mm offset with 4.5" of backspacing, not sure how those would look.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered)   Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 3:58 pm

Brandt51 wrote:
Maybe, but the Torq Thrust Ms are 0mm offset with 4.5" of backspacing, not sure how those would look.
With 4.5 inch backspace, and 0 offset, they must be 9 inch wide rims. If I am right, the rims the OP is interested in are 8 inches wide.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered)   Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 8:57 pm

Nope, they are 17x8, just like the ones OP installed.

No matter, I really like these and see that they work. Will be ditching my 15s soon enough.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered)   Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 12:17 am

You can not have an 8 inch wide rim with 0 offset and 4.5 inch backspace. It would require a .5 inch offset to be 8 inches wide, or be 9 inches wide.
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered)   Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 12:53 am

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered)   Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 1:09 am

There should be an error code. 4.5 plus 4.5 equals 9 (0 offset). 4.5 plus 3.5 equal 8 (.5" offset). Unless the person with the 4.5" with 0 offset lives in an alternate dimension.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered)   Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 7:24 am

Better take that up with American Racing because they list a whole bunch of 8 inch, zero offset, wheels on their website.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered)   Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 8:41 am

I looked at the American Racing site, and they offer numerous offsets with their various size wheels. They only offer the offset dimension. You can order any offset you want within the parameters of their offerings. That does not mean that you can order a part that is mathematically impossible. Having 0 offset means that the mounting surface is half way between the edges of the rim, so both the backspace and the mounting surface to the outside of the rim measurements must be equal, or it is mathematically impossible to have a rim width less than two times the backspace with 0 offset.
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered)   Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 8:50 am

Some of us seem to be having a bit of trouble understanding the subtle differences between how wheel width is measured, and how that corresponds to a stated backspacing.

Perhaps this will help:

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Punch in a 255/50-17 tire on an 8 inch, “0” offset wheel and watch what happens.

Also, there are some decent reference numbers in this sticky that people may find useful:

https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t9217-buick-oem-wheels

- J

Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered)   Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 10:40 am

Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) Dude-i10
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered)   Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 1:10 pm

Careful, some folks here are greatly offended by seeing bad words.

Thanks for that link, Jay. Will come in handy.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered)   Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 1:22 pm

94Woody wrote:

So you are saying you need a safe space?
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered)   Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 1:26 pm

Sorry...I was having a Big Lebowski moment. I hope no ears/eyes were harmed in the reading of this meme. Cool
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered)   Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 2:48 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
94Woody wrote:

So you are saying you need a safe space?

No, not me, I'm grown up and can handle words and pictures. Some can't though. Still remember the day I used a dirty word in a post and folks complained. Even got a couple of PMs from it. Good times.
Back to top Go down
kurtibm

PostSubject: Re: Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered)   Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 10:00 pm

I found a set of wheels but want to be sure they are apt for my 95 Wagon (stock suspension) before I drive 125 mi. to get them.
Fronts 17 x 8, Rears 17 x 9. Back wheels are 4.7 and front 4.4 backspace. Yes, they are 5x5 pattern.
Thanks much! Kurt
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered)   Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 10:35 pm

Those rears will be 1 inch closer to the suspension on the rear and 1 inch closer to the fender lip. Measure your current clearances and see, but you should be fine. Some (read: almost all) of these cars have bodies that are crooked on the frame by now thanks to deteriorated bushings and good ol' Texas (or Michigan) assembly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered)   Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Torq Thrust II (gray) 17x8 Fitment Fun (Offset and Back Spacking ?s Answered)
Page 1 of 1