GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice

Go down 
+2
jayoldschool
rallysanti
6 posters
AuthorMessage
rallysanti

Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice Empty
PostSubject: Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice   Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice Icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2018 2:22 pm

My 95 RM wagon died last Friday while I was going down the highway (in the middle of a blizzard...) It died once, so I put it in neutral and it started with the key. It drove ok for another few miles before quitting again, this time with no restart. After sitting for a bit, it started but was running really rough. I towed it back home and it's back in the garage.

At first I figured it was the opti, but after looking up some videos of them failing it seemed like a more gradual failure where it starts to miss at high rpm. Mine just quit all of a sudden, and about 20 minutes after I had filled the tank.

I'm probably going to start with the fuel filter, since that probably should get changed anyway. I'll drain some gas into a bottle to see if it separates.

Could it be fuel, or is it probably still the optispark?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/escuderiaboricua/
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice   Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice Icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2018 2:46 pm

The usual suspects:

Check codes. Dump a can of fresh gas in it.

1. Test fuel pressure. You're due for a pump if it's never been changed.
2. Coil wire.
3. ICM
4. Coil
5. FPR
Back to top Go down
rallysanti

PostSubject: Re: Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice   Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice Icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2018 2:56 pm

22 years and 215k miles, I should probably do the pump regardless.

I haven't pulled codes but the check engine light isn't on.

Should I go AC Delco or another brand for the fuel pump?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice   Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice Icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2018 5:30 pm

Don't throw parts. Test the fuel pressure first.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice   Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice Icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2018 6:05 pm

""I haven't pulled codes but the check engine light isn't on.""

The ECM will store intermittent or reoccurring problem codes in History even is the fault is not current.

Other than an actual visual inspection under the hood for the obvious, reading the ECM memory should always be a first step.

Having said that, checking fuel rail pressure is suggested by your symptoms.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice   Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice Icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2018 8:19 pm

Its been my experience that fuel pumps quit after they are shut off,. Not rolling down the highway.,
Spray wd 40 liberally all over the coil and wire,. See it it makes a difference,.
Back to top Go down
rallysanti

PostSubject: Re: Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice   Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice Icon_minitimeTue Jan 16, 2018 10:03 am

phantom 309 wrote:
Its been my experience that fuel pumps quit after they are shut off,. Not rolling down the highway.,
Spray wd 40 liberally all over the coil and wire,. See it it makes a difference,.

Interesting, I've never heard of that. I'll give it a shot
Back to top Go down
rallysanti

PostSubject: Re: Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice   Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice Icon_minitimeTue Jan 16, 2018 10:04 am

Rev Bob wrote:
""I haven't pulled codes but the check engine light isn't on.""

The ECM will store intermittent or reoccurring problem codes in History even is the fault is not current.

Other than an actual visual inspection under the hood for the obvious, reading the ECM memory should always be a first step.

Having said that, checking fuel rail pressure is suggested by your symptoms.

I've got a combo obd1/obd2 reader, I just need to figure out where I put all the adapters that came with it
Back to top Go down
rallysanti

PostSubject: Re: Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice   Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice Icon_minitimeTue Jan 16, 2018 8:16 pm

When I try to pull the codes, the electric radiator fan comes on and it says it can't communicate with the ECU. Low battery, or incompatible reader?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice   Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice Icon_minitimeTue Jan 16, 2018 10:22 pm

Read the codes through the HVAC, no reader needed on a Roadie.
Back to top Go down
rallysanti

PostSubject: Re: Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice   Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice Icon_minitimeTue Jan 16, 2018 11:08 pm

That's cool, I didn't know about that feature.
I've got error code 44 on the PCM, lean O2 on left side. Could be low fuel pressure or bad gas
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice   Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice Icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2018 7:04 am

Where are you located?
Back to top Go down
rallysanti

PostSubject: Re: Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice   Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice Icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2018 7:21 am

Detroit metro area
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice   Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice Icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2018 7:32 am

Well that's a bit far for me to help...
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice   Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice Icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2018 2:04 pm

rallysanti wrote:
That's cool, I didn't know about that feature.
I've got error code 44 on the PCM, lean O2 on left side. Could be low fuel pressure or bad gas

it can also be lean O2 on the left side. Not intended to be sarcastic. Scan your 02 mV before throwing parts at it. A right hand O2 failure at the max rich position will make the left O2 sensor pull fuel. Your car will run like garbage.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice   Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice Icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2018 10:52 pm

rallysanti wrote:
phantom 309 wrote:

Interesting, I've never heard of that. I'll give it a shot
Wd40 repels moisture,. The part where it quit in the middle of a blizzard leads me to believe it might be bad wires,.
Back to top Go down
rallysanti

PostSubject: Re: Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice   Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice Icon_minitimeSun Jan 21, 2018 7:31 pm

Well, I figured it out. It was really dumb, and I should have checked for the obvious first.

The electrical connector for the pump at the back of the car was unplugged. I only realized this when I got 0 fuel pressure at the rail and was preparing to drop the tank, going through the steps on the sticky on here. As soon as I plugged it back in (and the filter), I had 38psi of fuel pressure on priming. I put the intake boot, line retainer, and heat shields back on and the car drove just like it did before. I threw a loop of safety wire around the plug as a precaution. I think I might have unplugged it to put my hitch on and didn't seat it fully/damaged the clip when I did that.

It had 36psi at the rail when I started it up. Is this in the normal range?

Thanks for everyone's help.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice   Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2018 6:46 am

You are right in the ballpark with the fuel rail pressure. It varies with the engine running because of the vacuum operated pressure regulator that senses engine load.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice   Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2018 11:28 am

I love it when it's something simple. Good work! Aren't you glad you checked the pressure?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice   Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Car died. Not sure if optispark or fuel, looking for advice
Page 1 of 1