GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Steering shaft - alternative to Jeep conversion

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jamlip

Steering shaft - alternative to Jeep conversion Empty
PostSubject: Steering shaft - alternative to Jeep conversion   Steering shaft - alternative to Jeep conversion Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2018 12:38 pm

Hi all. Recently rebuild the front-end of my 95 RMW, including replacing my clicky-clacky worn steering shaft with a new Jeep XJ shaft.

All is good, except that I'm getting a lot of road and power-steering pump noise up the replacement shaft. Turns out the rag joint in the old version did quite a bit to isolate the cabin from the outside world.

I understand the correct shaft is no longer available from GM, but does anyone know if there's a rag-joint-equipped shaft available from another GM product that will fit this car? Something like an S10 or an Astro?
Back to top Go down
Big Wagon Guy

Big Wagon Guy

PostSubject: Re: Steering shaft - alternative to Jeep conversion   Steering shaft - alternative to Jeep conversion Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2018 4:49 pm

I’m not aware of other shafts that may work...however I once ordered a new donut from rock auto and repaired my original shaft. The part was called a steering coupler on their site and was $20 dollars.
Back to top Go down
jamlip

PostSubject: Re: Steering shaft - alternative to Jeep conversion   Steering shaft - alternative to Jeep conversion Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2018 6:08 pm

Thanks. The UJ at the top end of my steering shaft was clicking badly, so the whole unit had to go.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Steering shaft - alternative to Jeep conversion   Steering shaft - alternative to Jeep conversion Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2018 10:02 pm

I have a couple of good used steering shafts. LMK if you are interested.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steering shaft - alternative to Jeep conversion   Steering shaft - alternative to Jeep conversion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steering shaft - alternative to Jeep conversion
Page 1 of 1