GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Best spring/shock combo for SS like ride

Go down 
+3
Andebe
jayoldschool
KingpinSS
7 posters
AuthorMessage
KingpinSS

Best spring/shock combo for SS like ride Empty
PostSubject: Best spring/shock combo for SS like ride   Best spring/shock combo for SS like ride Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 1:28 pm

So I have been out of the B-body game for a lot of years but over the past couple years have acquired a 96 RMW and also a 95 SS. Both are in nice shape but need a little TLC at 120k on the RMW and 102K on the SS; and this summer I am hoping to finally getting around to some needed PM and mild mods.

The RMW is a daily driver and my g/f gets notoriously car sick if she is not driving, and the float of the wagon triggers it almost instantly. This is non existent in the SS. The SS is mostly all stock however the original owner did install the Bilstein 1104/0929 shocks, which coincidentally is the same set up I had in my old B-body 15 years ago.

I am looking to re do the suspension on the RMW to obtain a more stable SS like ride without the seasickness inducing float of the stock RMW ride and was looking for the current opinions from this boards wagon suspension gurus. Is it as simple as swapping in a set of Bilsteins along with some new springs(if so which springs)? Have there been new improved parts introduced that will be better for this application?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to hearing everyones favorite set up.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Best spring/shock combo for SS like ride   Best spring/shock combo for SS like ride Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 4:39 pm

The springs should be the same rate as the SS, just taller if it's a tow pack (but someone like J Lachapelle will know for sure). Yes, just put on a set of Bilsteins. At 120k, you will need to look at all the front end stuff, too. Idler, tie rods, ball joints, etc.
Back to top Go down
KingpinSS

PostSubject: Re: Best spring/shock combo for SS like ride   Best spring/shock combo for SS like ride Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 7:14 pm

Yes, my RMW has the V92 tow package and I just looked at the SPID and it also lists F40 as a suspension code if that helps the experts out there narrow it down.

I don't do any trailering but I do occasionally camp using it in which case it is loaded with everything but the kitchen sink.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Best spring/shock combo for SS like ride   Best spring/shock combo for SS like ride Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2018 2:39 pm

Shocks,shocks,shocks...My wife had the same issue,that cured it.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Best spring/shock combo for SS like ride   Best spring/shock combo for SS like ride Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 9:25 am

I like the Koni adjustable shocks more than the bilsteins but the bilsteins work great as well. Same p/n as for Impala SS.

For springs, depending on your driving style, either moog CC623 or CC625 in the rear. the CC623 is a bit taller than stock, the 625 pretty close to stock.
Front, you can get away with the same p/n as a sedan: use a stock SS spring, cut down a 9C1 spring, or go with a 750 lb-in spring.

There used to be an Eibach spring made for the RCMP cars. I always thought that setup had the perfect B-car front spring in it. Don't know if you can still find them. I guy on the local classifieds was clearing a bunch out a while back, and I think a forum member here may have had some for sale (sherlock9C1) but I could be mistaken.

Andebe above just bought my caprice wagon which had moog CC623 in the back, moog 7268 750 lb-in in the front and Koni adjustable shocks set on full firm in the front and 3/4 firm in the back.

Back to top Go down
KingpinSS

PostSubject: Re: Best spring/shock combo for SS like ride   Best spring/shock combo for SS like ride Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2018 4:56 pm

Sounds good as far as springs I would want stock height or maybe slightly lower. I plan to put some stock SS wheels on eventually. I had some of the eibach springs that were for 91-93 caprices prior to the SS that were basically like slightly firmer SS springs on my old caprice sedan that I really liked.

Does anyone know the stock spring ratings so I could compare to the Moogs?
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: Best spring/shock combo for SS like ride   Best spring/shock combo for SS like ride Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2018 5:42 pm

CC623s will put the car's ass in the air and look awful. But this is one man's opinion.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Best spring/shock combo for SS like ride   Best spring/shock combo for SS like ride Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2018 9:01 pm

CC623 will get you this .....

Best spring/shock combo for SS like ride O67IaTH
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Best spring/shock combo for SS like ride   Best spring/shock combo for SS like ride Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2018 11:25 am

I've been very happy with the Bilstein shocks. But I don't have to drive on the New York Thruway.  There aren't potholes in the desert.

Shocks Bilstein 1104/0929
Moog CC623 rear springs
I can't remember what I used for front springs.
Boxed lower control arms
Rear sway bar
Energy Suspension front sway arm bushings and ends

After all that, the car goes where I point it.

I was fortunate to get the rear sway bar from NavyLifer, because he only had a dozen made.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best spring/shock combo for SS like ride   Best spring/shock combo for SS like ride Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best spring/shock combo for SS like ride
Page 1 of 1