GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

help with coolant system part identification Oem Parts Or ???

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bigredwagon

bigredwagon

help with coolant system part identification Oem Parts Or ??? Empty
PostSubject: help with coolant system part identification Oem Parts Or ???   help with coolant system part identification Oem Parts Or ??? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2018 4:48 pm

Wanted to replace the plastic bits in the cooling system like the tee and reducer because I assume they are as old as the car. I was going to replace these last year but the better half nixed any more spending on the roadie after a lengthy/costly list of opti and opti related parts.

I ordered what I thought was the whole assembly but it doesn't match what's under the hood. There are parts I cannot find on any cooling system diagram or parts house.
There's one on each heater core hose, one black and one grayish.
The assembly doesn't exactly fit with what is there. What the hell are these things?

Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: help with coolant system part identification Oem Parts Or ???   help with coolant system part identification Oem Parts Or ??? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 12:05 am

they are aftermarket garden hose couplers for flushing and changing antifreeze
Back to top Go down
bigredwagon

bigredwagon

PostSubject: Re: help with coolant system part identification Oem Parts Or ???   help with coolant system part identification Oem Parts Or ??? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 1:54 am

Yep, that is exactly what I was afraid of. Thank you.
They reminded me of the fittings on NASCAR cars that hook up to the rolling cart to cool them down.
Are the heater core hoses half inch inside diameter?
Back to top Go down
bigredwagon

bigredwagon

PostSubject: Re: help with coolant system part identification Oem Parts Or ???   help with coolant system part identification Oem Parts Or ??? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2018 10:42 pm

All sketchy plastics removed, 1/2" copper fits to bridge the cut heater core hoses.

500 miles later and all seems well even if she seems to be running a little hotter than normal.
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: help with coolant system part identification Oem Parts Or ???   help with coolant system part identification Oem Parts Or ??? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2018 12:45 am

You might want to check those copper connections after a while. There's already aluminum and iron in the system, so neither of those materials are going to be problematic- but copper may be more reactive and set up a galvanic reaction. I'm not sure which way it'll go, if it'll tend to dissolve the copper or if the copper will accept ions from the other metals and get crusty. But, again, it may be worthwhile to check and see to make sure you're not doing any damage.

Obviously the plastics are electrically non-reactive and anything that's already aluminum or steel would be fine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: help with coolant system part identification Oem Parts Or ???   help with coolant system part identification Oem Parts Or ??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

help with coolant system part identification Oem Parts Or ???
Page 1 of 1