GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

So I have no horn....

Go down 
+3
Fred Kiehl
Cadet57
phastlt1
7 posters
AuthorMessage

So I have no horn.... Empty
PostSubject: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 6:20 pm

I don't know why. The buttons are very hard to push. I'm hoping and praying I don't need to replace my steering wheel or something like that. Sad
Back to top Go down
phastlt1

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 7:25 pm

The 91-93 horn buttons are crap...you probably need to replace them. They snap into the airbag.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 8:07 pm

My horn was like that when I bought my '93. Chances are the contacts are broken and worn out. Only thing you can do is solder in new buttons or buy a new Airbag unit- I got mine on ebay for $45 with shipping. Thats what I did, took all of 10 mins to install. Really easy.
Back to top Go down
phastlt1

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 9:01 pm

You can buy just the buttons to snap into your existing airbag, they plug straight in...no soldering necessary....
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 9:12 pm

I looked up your car, I thought I might have a couple of horn buttons, but you have a caprice, and I do not have access to a 91-93 caprice at this time. The switches have a small clear plastic part inside which breaks. I saw a thread on the impala forum, where someone replaced the switch with a push to contact switch from Radio Shack. It was a pretty straight forward fix, and you should only have to do it once. He used the original external switch parts.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 9:29 pm

I have 5 wagons and only 2 of them have working horns. Just never got around to fixing them yet Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 9:30 pm

Fred: this thread?

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=227901&highlight=caprice+horn+buttons

Smile

How would that work? I've never used a soldering iron before... lol (I know, I know, uber noob Sad)
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 10:04 pm

Try these:

"Horn switch in air bag" in the impalassforum or

http://www.impalaforums.com/resource...her-years.html
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 5:17 pm

Here is the cheap, and easy fix. Not to mention better looking, and a far more functional horn. A Lumina Sport wheel. No more airbag, but at least you can honk at someone before you hit them!

This is mom's 91 Caprice, btw. I put the same wheel in my SS.

So I have no horn.... 100_2127
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 5:36 pm

Hmm... that wheel is black though. I like my red wheel. Sad
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 6:14 pm

There is a red Lumina wheel Wink
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 6:33 pm

You could put an aftermarket wheel on it. I have a "Personal" wheel and a MOMO that I can interchange. The horn buttons on them are simple, and work every time. I gave up on the air bag. They can do more harm than good, and if you wear your seatbelt, they are not necessary. I have not figured out how to post pics, so you will have to use your imagination. I have posted them in the past on the impala site. I picked up the wheel on ebay, and got an adapter there too. If you watch the wheels, you can get a color which looks good in your car, or just get a redish mahogany (or if you have a lighter woodgrain trim, one to match) one with polished spokes, and the color will not make a difference. There are some nice polished adapters for under $50. You can even get a horn button with a Chevy emblem. I got one with an Olds emblem from Grant.

If you decide to go with an aftermarket, and run into some issues, let me know. I put wheels on 2 different cars, and have it figured out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 9:20 am

Well, ideally I want to get rid of the wood grain trim on the dash. I don't like it. I think It would look pretty cool with like, stainless trim (think Trans Am).

Hmmm let's hunt for a red Lumina wheel. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 9:42 am

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 8:36 pm

I am headed to the JY again tomorrow...I will look around for a wheel.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 6:11 pm

Bump.

Can anyone link me to a thread, and/or show me simple directions for fixing my horn? I don't want to go taking stuff apart in vain and realizing I can't figure it out. The simpler the better. I'm getting frustrated with a lack of a horn. lol
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 6:43 pm

Have you determined what is actually wrong with your horn? Do you get power to the buttons? The buttons ground the circuit. All you would have to do to check for power, is remove the airbag, and ground the "Y" wire that goes to the horn buttons to the steering wheel. The horn will sound if you are getting power to the buttons. Once you have that figured out, then you can look into fixing the buttons.

The Radio Shack "push on" "release off" buttons will work and are pretty easy to install. You may have to solder the wires to them, or at least a lead with an insulated connector on one end. The other side of the switch has to ground to the metal of the airbag. You only have to drill a hole the size of the threaded shank of the switch. If you have to adjust the position away from the button, you can get extra nuts for the threaded shank.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 6:43 pm

How do you remove the airbag?

lol
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 7:14 pm

Stingroo wrote:
How do you remove the airbag?

lol

Back of the steering wheel, 4 torx screws, take them out bag comes right off. unplug the old bag, dont destroy the clips on the plug, plug the new one in and you're done.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 7:25 pm

I do not know if the question is in jest or you really do not know how to remove the airbag. I will take it to mean that you do not know how to remove the airbag.

There are 2 or 4 #20 or 25 torx screws on the back of the steering wheel. Remove them (unscrew, but they will stay in place because of a retainer clip), and the airbag will almost fall in your lap. The horn wire goes into a hole in the steering wheel. It has a spring on it. To remove it push gently and twist gently counterclockwise about 1/4 of a turn. When installed, you can ground the other end of the wire, and it will sound the horn. Once you have become comfortable with that, the rest is pretty straight forward.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 7:35 pm

ANother note. Disconnect the battery and let it sit for about 10 mins just to be on the safe side. Call me paranoid, but id rather not have the bag blow up when I'm taking it out. I've had one go off once in an accident. And that was enough
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 12:38 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
I do not know if the question is in jest or you really do not know how to remove the airbag. I will take it to mean that you do not know how to remove the airbag.

There are 2 or 4 #20 or 25 torx screws on the back of the steering wheel. Remove them (unscrew, but they will stay in place because of a retainer clip), and the airbag will almost fall in your lap. The horn wire goes into a hole in the steering wheel. It has a spring on it. To remove it push gently and twist gently counterclockwise about 1/4 of a turn. When installed, you can ground the other end of the wire, and it will sound the horn. Once you have become comfortable with that, the rest is pretty straight forward.

Yes, I was completely serious. This is kinda-sorta my first car (in a roundabout sort of way, long stories to be told there, though...) so I'm pretty clueless.

I'll have to pick up some torx screwdrivers to figure this out. I really do want my horn to work, that way during Thanksgiving or Christmas break I can put my Fleetwood trumpet horns to good use. Very Happy

Thanks for the tip Cadet. I would never have thought about that....
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 8:00 am

To be safe you really should disconnect the battery, I am just lazy and forget about it. It can keep you from getting hurt. The only problem is that you can not test the horn circuit with the battery disconnected. If you disconnect the airbag, you can reconnect the battery and check the horn. Do not loose the little green lock clip for the airbag.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 12:44 pm

Noted. Smile I'll have to run by Ace or Harbor Freight or something and pick up a torx driver set. I don't have any. lol
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 3:25 pm

You can get a set of allen wrench style (bent wire) torx wrenches at Autozone or equivalent for about $10-15. There are some screwdriver sets that have an assortment of torx bits in them too.
Back to top Go down
shenny

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 4:33 pm

It might (will be) necessary to unhook the battery. If you short or jump the wrong wire you just might learn what it feels like to eat an air bag. Unhook the battery and wait about 15 minutes. This will de-engerize the system. You can go to a gm dealer and get the correct parts or follow the direction on the Impala forum. I spent over 35 years as a gm parts consultant. We sold many sets of the horn buttons, but the momentary switches work better. I bought mine from ACE Hardware. I think they were like $6 each. You need 2.

shenny

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 6:33 pm

Hmmm I still haven't done this. I need to figure it out soon. It's getting annoying not having a horn. lol
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 9:47 pm

you can always direct wire it to a push button you mount on the dash some where.

of better yet put a train horn on the roof with a pull string like a trucker Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 10:54 pm

I would TOTALLY do the train horn thing, but not in the dash. I'd hide them in the bumpers.

But I don't really like the look of push buttons in the dash. It would bug me. I'm weird.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 12:19 am

A horn button on the dash really looks trashy. You could even gold plate it and it would still look trashy. Having to reach to push it would be a PITA too. It would really kill your reaction time.

My horn is a hair trigger and my steering wheel is flexible enough, that I can push the steering wheel rim, and the horn will blow.

Air horns under the hood would be a good thing too. I've been considering that for a while. I just haven't found a set that I like.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 9:17 pm

So I have an 88 caprice wagon and my horn does not work at all. I'm very new to the fixing your own car thing and need some direction. Please help! confused
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 9:36 pm

I have no experience with 1988 horn buttons. I could be the relay, or the horn itself. You need a VOM to check for voltage. If you can find an FSM, it would help with the troubleshooting.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 10:39 am

Not to go off topic.. but I have read a 94+ wheel will bolt into the 91-93, you just need to splice the wires. Is this true? One of my (newer) horn buttons is already going and I'm not good enough at soldering to try the doorbell trick.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 9:33 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
Not to go off topic.. but I have read a 94+ wheel will bolt into the 91-93, you just need to splice the wires. Is this true? One of my (newer) horn buttons is already going and I'm not good enough at soldering to try the doorbell trick.
You may be able to install the wheel by splicing in the airbag. The sensors are different for the 94+ units. The horn works the same way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 11:08 pm

Bump.

So my predicament gets weirder and weirder by the day. If you've seen my most recent thread you know my steering rod key thingy broke (I know, my technical terms are unmatched!)

I got one from the junkyard with one of my dad's friends and got that fixed. We also took the wheel off to try and fix the horn, but we discovered that the wire to the air bag was cut - and I don't have a clockspring (I have no idea what that is or means, but I assume it's supposed to be there). So like, what's a clockspring? What's it do? Where can I get one? Is it easier to replace that thing and fix my current wheel or just replace it with an aftermarket (or a Lumina wheel...)

I'm confused and seeking wagon guidance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 11:47 pm

Hey Stingroo go by Advance and just as you go in they have a display of little tool kits in small clear and yellow
plastic cases.One of these sets is a 66 piece package of all the most common torx,phillips,straight and allen in
SAE and metric.Quality is impressive and they cost just 5 bucks on sale all this month so dont wait.Never too
late to start a basic tool kit on the cheap.
Take care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 6:19 am

The clockspring is a yellow(?) "ring" that goes on the steering column at the base of the steering wheel. Your source is going to be a junk yard for those. If you don't want to find and replace it then yes a non-airbag wheel would be a fine replacement as you don't really have an air bag anyway. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 10:54 pm

Yeah so I've decided I'm going to replace the wheel. I hate the way the factory wheel looks anyway, so why spend time and money fixing something I don't like, when I can find something I do like?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So I have no horn....   So I have no horn.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So I have no horn....
Page 1 of 1