GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Window Tint

Go down 
+3
RedandBlack
jayoldschool
Rev Bob
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Rev Bob

Window Tint Empty
PostSubject: Window Tint   Window Tint Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2018 9:27 am

After 22 years of faithful service, my professionally-installed window tint has developed leprosy. Just recently, hundreds of tiny bubbles have started to form between the film and the glass. Does anyone have a Family Heirloom secret on how to remove the film? I am especially worried about the defogger grid on the back tailgate glass.

Thanks!

Reverend Bob
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Window Tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window Tint   Window Tint Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2018 1:25 pm

I recently redid a rear window. You want a steamer. The one for clothes. Get the film hot, and peel it off. It will rip, and it will leave behind glue. The longer you steam, the more glue will come off with the film. Mine was so old, it actually came off in two layers. One for the plastic, one for the tinted layer. Glue was cleaned with razor (carefully), shop towels and Bon Ami, and a WHITE scrub pad. The white one is important, it will not hurt the defog lines. This was on a sedan, and it was a major pain. On a wagon, I'd simply remove the rear window and do it on the bench. Side windows are easy, steam, and razor blade.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

Window Tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window Tint   Window Tint Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 5:10 am

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Reverend Bob
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

Window Tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window Tint   Window Tint Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 11:22 pm

I have done the fabric steamer trick before.

I wouldn't do it again. Worth the money to me to pay someone else haha
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Window Tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window Tint   Window Tint Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2018 6:25 pm

I used a razor blade and elbow grease.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

Window Tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window Tint   Window Tint Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2018 7:34 am

""I used a razor blade and elbow grease.""

On the defog grid?
Back to top Go down
bigredwagon

bigredwagon

Window Tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window Tint   Window Tint Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2018 8:03 am

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Window Tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window Tint   Window Tint Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2018 1:19 pm

Rev Bob wrote:

On the defog grid?

Yeah, I'm in Florida and don't care about it.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

Window Tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window Tint   Window Tint Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2018 5:52 pm

https://youtu.be/79W6Y01Cjww

COOL!! Thanks for the link. Looks doable.
Back to top Go down
bigredwagon

bigredwagon

Window Tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window Tint   Window Tint Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2018 6:34 pm

Spraying with 409 is new to me, this method works using the same soapy water solution you would use to install tint. Basic idea is to get it soggy n hot.
Back to top Go down
Funkwagon455

Window Tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window Tint   Window Tint Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2018 3:07 pm

94Woody wrote:
Rev Bob wrote:

On the defog grid?

Yeah, I'm in Florida and don't care about it.

Both of the '92 B body wagons I've owned had defrost on the rear window as well as window tint. Even though the defrost does function, I have always been reluctant to use it. I figure that the heating elements can not be good for the tint and could likely cause bubbling or at a minimum premature failure. I do carry frost/ice covers that cover the window when I'm not parked in the garage. A minor inconvenience that folds up neatly when stored.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

Window Tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window Tint   Window Tint Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2018 3:38 pm

The tiny bubbles that formed on my glass are not on the defog lines themselves. The large side glass is infected as well.

When in use, the defog grid does not even heat to the point where it can seem warm to your hand.

The system is more for removing a light layer of inside fog or dew than melting a film of ice. It will start to soften the ice somewhat before timing out, though.
Back to top Go down
monwell

Window Tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window Tint   Window Tint Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2018 10:42 pm

I used a hairdryer and razor before. Heat up the corner and then using the razor, slowly lift up te corner. For the adhesive residue, you can use Goo Gone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Window Tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window Tint   Window Tint Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Window Tint
Page 1 of 1