GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

255/60/15 Radial Drag Rear and 215/75/15 Front on Stock 15x7s a Legitimate Combo?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brandt51

Brandt51

255/60/15 Radial Drag Rear and 215/75/15 Front on Stock 15x7s a Legitimate Combo? Empty
PostSubject: 255/60/15 Radial Drag Rear and 215/75/15 Front on Stock 15x7s a Legitimate Combo?   255/60/15 Radial Drag Rear and 215/75/15 Front on Stock 15x7s a Legitimate Combo? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2019 2:46 am

Quick Synopsis:

What kind of drag tires and skinny front tires would work out ok on a fat wagon going down the drag strip? Stock rims are 15x7. 215/70/15 or stock 225/75/15 in the front sound ok?...or does it matter? More below...

The lead up:

So I'm sitting here in my bed recovering from a knee replacement surgery and have nothing else to do but seek out drag racing information. In the past few months, I've blow up the trans, replaced it with a built one (modified the 6spd plan real fast since I was out two cars when it happened), got a fresh posi (w/ bearings and reluctor) and 373 gear set for the rear plus another LT1 with aluminum heads (643 castings) to hop up and swap out with my tired motor. I'm looking for around 400 RWHP along with an appropriate stall, maybe around 2800ish. The car will remain my daily, but I want a set of drag racing tires to swap out when it's time to make poor and fun choices.

The meat and potatoes:

To fit under the skirts and keep a neat sleeper look, I'm leaning towards a drag radial and the 27" 255/60/15 MTs are looking good right now. From what I'm reading, automatics do well with drag radials. And wrinkling sidewalls, would require drag wheels with bead locks or screws. With the metric drag radial, I think I can use the stock rim with no issues and keep the stock look which isimportant to me.

I was going to use the stock OEM size tire for the front, also on the stock wheels, but the car is going to be lowered with SS springs and was thinking a smaller size might look better. The drag set up will not be used on the street for anything more than driving to the drag strip, if even that. 215 wide tire seem ok?

Any experience from anybody? I need to start researching suspension next. It never stops.

Thank you! Oh, and sorry for the grammar, I'm on that good stuff from the hospital.
Back to top Go down

255/60/15 Radial Drag Rear and 215/75/15 Front on Stock 15x7s a Legitimate Combo?
Page 1 of 1