GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW

Go down 
+6
rcktpwrd
94Woody
silverfox103
RedandBlack
Fred Kiehl
BeatleBob32
10 posters
AuthorMessage
BeatleBob32

looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW  Empty
PostSubject: looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW    looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2019 3:40 am

Hi there,

I am the proud owner of my Grandpa's former Buick Wagon, 1996 Limited.

148k Gran Touring Suspension

At the moment, it handles like crap, and floats and sways with reckless abandon.

Time for new shocks.

My question, however, is what to choose?

I have read some threads on the topic, and I am aware that it may be ultimately arguing differences that amount to splitting hairs- but I would like to know what people have done- or would not do again.

Running stock size tires, no plans to change them, ever.

As a reference point, my first car was a 1994 Caprice 9C1.

I remember how it felt, and vastly preferred the steering feel, which is undoubtedly a separate issue, but I think is relevant here. It felt much more competent and stable than the Roadmaster does.

Unfortunately, I am unsure if this is due to design differences or is just because components are worn out.

I also would like to preserve the "Buick ride" and I recall the Caprice being distinctly firmer.

Now, if I end up with a slightly firmer ride I'm not going to be overly upset- I just wonder if anyone else out there has ever found themselves asking this question the same way I am, and what they chose to do about it.

Can I improve its road manner without sacrificing ride quality? Or is it one or the other?

Brand preferences? Reasons behind them?

I am wondering about maybe looking for shocks that were spec'd for the 9C1 or Impala SS, but also wondering if this entire train of thought is a waste of time. (I know the answer-of course it is!)

But I am hopeful I can find like-minded overthinkers who have opinions that might be helpful to me and others.

After all, we are on an internet car forum- what else would we do here? lol

Thanks in advance for sharing whatever you have to add.

Regards,

Beatle Bob

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW    looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2019 7:45 am

If you want to retain the auto leveling system, you need a pair of air shocks, and you will have to adapt them to the air lines, because the fittings are different. There are a lot of opinions on what shocks to use. You may find that the handling will improve with a slightly stiffer shock than stock. There is also a steering damper (shock) on the center link that may make the steering smoother, and with less feedback.
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW    looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2019 9:11 am

I personally am a big fan of the 9C1 shocks.

Moog 550012 front 550013 rear

Some people say they're too firm or jarring, but I don't agree with them.

The KYB Gas-A-Just are another good option for a somewhat softer ride, or the Gabriel Ultras, from what people here say. Never run them myself, though.

Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW    looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2019 10:36 am

RedandBlack wrote:
I personally am a big fan of the 9C1 shocks.

Moog 550012 front 550013 rear

What he said!

Tom
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW    looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2019 8:14 pm

Another vote for the Monroe Severe Service.
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW    looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2019 8:23 pm

how much stiffer are the Monroe shocks over stock Caprice wagon shocks?
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW    looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2019 11:42 am

Truthfully, I don't know the answer to that. When I put the first set on my car it had 102k miles and original (yikes) shocks. It was night and day difference compared to that floaty mess.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW    looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2019 3:07 pm

rcktpwrd wrote:
how much stiffer are the Monroe shocks over stock Caprice wagon shocks?

you want them unless you like riding on a marshmallow. They add (IMHO) just the right amount of firmness so that bouncy 70s land yacht float is reduced. Of course cornering is another issue as that's sway bars, etc.

but for the money it fiirms the car up just right for me....

My red wagon (in pic) has OE shocks on it right now and I hate how bouncy it feels.
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW    looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2019 5:16 pm

If it were mine I would definitely go with a stiffer shock to firm up the ride a bit. It's the wife's car and she is liking the real smooth ride... I am pretty sure the current shocks are the originals and they have 114,xxx miles on them.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW    looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2019 5:09 am

I've installed Monroe severe service front shocks on all of my wagons, and Monroe coilovers in the rear. Added the Hotchkiss rear swaybar too. Much less roll and wallowing through turns, and ride quality is fine; definitely not rough or jarring.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW    looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2019 8:57 am

The Monroe 550012 and 550013 are definitely a step up with Roadmaster springs but in my experience they do soften a bit over time, and you do feel every bump with them. I eventually swapped them out for Bilstein B46-1104 and B46-0929 and the control was still there but the bump impacts were gone.

Keep in mind that there's an interplay between springs and shocks. Stiffer springs will respond differently to a given pair of shocks than softer springs will. I was super happy with Roadmaster springs and the Bilstein shocks I listed.
Back to top Go down
Hankyhog

PostSubject: Re: looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW    looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2019 4:59 pm

I have always had bilsteins on both my Roadmaster Wagons. I like those the best.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW    looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

looking for opinions and experiences with front shock replacement 96 RMW
Page 1 of 1