GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What are the best rear springs?

Go down 
+5
Fred Kiehl
goldwolfnhn
silverfox103
RedandBlack
Chevy freak '91
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Chevy freak '91

Chevy freak '91

What are the best rear springs? Empty
PostSubject: What are the best rear springs?   What are the best rear springs? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2019 4:58 am

Hey guys,
If I tow my trailer of 1500 lbs behind my '91 Chevy Caprice, the rear hangs quit low. Also because I have a blig load of cargo when we go on holidays. So, I want to replace the rear springs or shockabsorbers. What is the best set up for this? And are there adjustable rear shockabsorbers, so that you can rise the car in the back when you carry a big load of cargo?
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: What are the best rear springs?   What are the best rear springs? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2019 10:05 am

Moog CC623 are the cargo coils for these cars. It will help you when you tow, but empty the car will sit about an inch and a half high.

Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: What are the best rear springs?   What are the best rear springs? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2019 1:43 pm

RedandBlack wrote:
Moog CC623 are the cargo coils for these cars.

1+

Tom
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

PostSubject: Re: What are the best rear springs?   What are the best rear springs? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2019 10:25 pm

My 87 Pontiac had overload shocks, or the shocks that have the coil spring around the outside, and they are advertised for increasing a vehicles load capacity, but the problem I had is that every time I hit a bump they would make easily noticeable odd noises.

So I replaced them with a pair of adjustable air shocks.

Monroe MA717 are the air shocks I got and put on the rear of my Pontiac, a bit of warning though with any air shock, there is a good chance that they will gradually leak down so they would need to be checked even just for normal driving, I usually check on my Pontiac at least once a month but I don't load that one up

On my Buick that one is a different story as she came with a self leveling system, but I had to replace those shocks. ACdelco 504110 are what I bought and installed.

with both I had to route air lines, for the Pontiac I went through the frame to the rear and along the bumper and used one of the license pate bolt holes to hold the inflator for the shocks.

For the Buick I just had to route new line from the shocks to the main line from the compressor and put a T junction on that I got from Grainger. I had this one loaded up with soda and food for a concession stand and the compressor was kicking in about every half hour for a couple minutes to bring the car back up to level, but I think the Grainger push fit T I put on wasn't sealing aswell as it should, but the rear springs are good enough where if I have no load she sits level.

If it's anything like my two, if your shocks are already getting close to needing to be replaced it would be best to do them aswell as the springs, as for me it was easiest removing the springs and then the top mounting bolts for the shocks as with the spring out you have a lot more space to finagle your hand into the small gap between the body and the frame.
Back to top Go down
Chevy freak '91

Chevy freak '91

PostSubject: Re: What are the best rear springs?   What are the best rear springs? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2019 1:07 am

Thanks guys for the information. I think there are shocks that are adjustable without air. I'm not sure about this. But if they are out there, those I would prefer.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: What are the best rear springs?   What are the best rear springs? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2019 8:45 am

Th only shocks that can b adjusted without air are the coilovers. You can manually add spring pressure by tuning the adjustment ring, but you have to crawl under the car to adjust them.
Back to top Go down
monwell

PostSubject: Re: What are the best rear springs?   What are the best rear springs? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2020 2:27 am

I just got my Moog CC623. Will install them this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Oscar73

PostSubject: Re: What are the best rear springs?   What are the best rear springs? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2020 5:24 pm

I just received a pair of Moog CC623 springs...I see they’re wound tight on one end. Which way faces up? FSM says nothing other than orientation of coil end up top.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: What are the best rear springs?   What are the best rear springs? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2020 10:33 am

Factory springs are the same on both ends.

If you are talking about the aftermarket progressive coil winding, the tighter coils go on top.
Back to top Go down
Oscar73

PostSubject: Re: What are the best rear springs?   What are the best rear springs? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2020 12:41 pm

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
kameron m

PostSubject: Re: What are the best rear springs?   What are the best rear springs? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2020 10:23 am

Springs from a tahoe fit right in and raise the rear of the car a good 3" for a nice lean with little effort otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are the best rear springs?   What are the best rear springs? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are the best rear springs?
Page 1 of 1