GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear Springs

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
OldGuy

OldGuy

Rear Springs Empty
PostSubject: Rear Springs   Rear Springs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 9:34 pm

Just got home from Daytona. Now need to get to work. Need a stiffer rear spring, I sag to much when I tow my teardrop
Trailer. I read the thread here and came up with Moog cc623. What do you think

Roger
Back to top Go down

Rear Springs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Springs   Rear Springs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 9:52 pm

I love my CC623s. If you looked at my car, that's how yours will sit. My springs are less than a year old. They don't appear to affect ride smoothness or comfort at all, and easy to do. Great mod.
Back to top Go down

Rear Springs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Springs   Rear Springs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 11:43 pm

Just what is the tongue weight of that little trailer,your factory springs must be shot as well.The
Moog 623s are the most economical spring available for our wagons.
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

Rear Springs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Springs   Rear Springs Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 12:49 am

Roger,
I love the teardrop!!!
When I got my OCC (to pull my 22' Airstream) I hated the way it rode. It bounced all over the place without the trailer. I replaced the shocks (Bilstiens) and it drove great.

With the trailer I was tail draggin' and light in the steering. So I added Airlift 1000 bags with compressor. On a 3000 mile trip with the Trailer, one bag failed and I was low in the rear again.

So on the advice of others on the forummore knowledgable, I replaced the worn original springs with the Moog 623 cargo springs. Since the Airlifts were waranteed I replaced them too. The set up is perfect for towing. Could not be better.
Get the 623s you won't be sorry. I am probably over kill with the airlifts. I also have an equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch and trailer brakes.

Dick

Back to top Go down

Rear Springs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Springs   Rear Springs Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 12:55 am

Dick, how much does your Airstream weigh?
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

Rear Springs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Springs   Rear Springs Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 1:12 am

Stingroo wrote:
Dick, how much does your Airstream weigh?

It is a 1958 and they are much lighter than new ones. The manufacturer lists it as dry weight of 2730 lbs. It lists tongue weight as 275 lbs. I added a subfloor and new marmolium tile but everything else is original. There is a 22 gallon water tank in the front and 6 gallon water heater. I carry the usual stuff like tools, clothes, dishes, etc. I would say I am no more than 3400 loaded. I am going to weigh it this summer and let you know for sure.
Dick
Back to top Go down
OldGuy

OldGuy

Rear Springs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Springs   Rear Springs Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 8:35 am

The tear only has 50lb tinge weight dry, when camping the wagon is loaded with stuff.
I also have air lift bags but lost all air going to FLa. So going with new springs and fix air bags, might be
overkill but hate to sag.
Roger

Back to top Go down
COL

COL

Rear Springs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Springs   Rear Springs Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 10:13 am

OldGuy wrote:
The tear only has 50lb tinge weight dry, when camping the wagon is loaded with stuff.
I also have air lift bags but lost all air going to FLa. So going with new springs and fix air bags, might be
overkill but hate to sag.
Roger

Roger
The 623 springs will make all the difference. I carry the girls in the back of the car too. That is another 200 lbs. Let us know how they work.Rear Springs FirstOLDSAirstreamtrip8-10JUN12004
Rear Springs DuckU013
Dick
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rear Springs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Springs   Rear Springs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear Springs
Page 1 of 1