GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear compartment locks

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
BrotherJohn

BrotherJohn

Rear compartment locks Empty
PostSubject: Rear compartment locks   Rear compartment locks Icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2019 11:00 pm

Greetings, and apologies if this has been addressed, but I can't find any mention apart from a reference to a user who appears to be no longer active.

Anyway, has anyone got any idea how to remove/swap the locks on the side compartment in the trunk?  This is a pic of the my original (left) with the one I pulled from a yard -- and wouldn't you know it, they took the keys.  Dealers just laugh at me when I talk of using the VIN to have one made.  Anyway, this loks like an impossible puzzle -- any insight?
https://servimg.com/view/20122453/1
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear compartment locks   Rear compartment locks Icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2019 8:25 am

You may have to drill the one on the donor out. I have picked them, but it is difficult. A locksmith may be able to pick it for you. The locksmith would have to push the pin in before picking the lock to allow you to remove the tumbler. If you drill it out, you will just have a bunch of pieces in your hand. For drilling, I would start with a small drill, and work my way to larger ones in small steps. Pushing the pin in before picking the lock may not keep the locking mechanism in place for removal, and you may have to drill it out anyway. A locksmith could probably do the whole removal, by drilling it out.

To remove the one in your original part, you must push the pin in the hole on the tumbler with a thin rod (think paper clip), and insert the key while holding it. Remove the tool for pushing the pin, and you can then rotate the tumbler 180 deg. clockwise to remove it from the lock base. You can practice on the glove box, it has the same type of release. The inside part (latch) does not come off, and if you cut it, you will not be able to transfer the lock to your donor unit.

The hole for the pin should be in the little rectangular indent area on the latch in your picture.
Back to top Go down
BrotherJohn

BrotherJohn

PostSubject: Re: Rear compartment locks   Rear compartment locks Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2019 4:54 pm

Fred, my good man, you are a gentleman and a scholar.  A man without equal. Sometimes it just takes someone getting you to look at it from a slightly different angle.

For anyone attempting such a similar swap in future, it turns out that removing the lock that fit my key, as Fred described, was pretty simple.  To find the pin he's talking about in my original pic, it can be found on the intact lock on the right, on the top of the cylinder that would be pointing up toward the window -- that is, pointing toward the other lock in this pic.

To get the lock-without-a-key out of the door I want to use, I drilled as Fred described, using a drill press and progressively larger bits.  What happened though, on the third bit, was that the entire thing spun itself loose.  The lock didn't break apart; rather, the housing unscrewed itself.

I might have been lucky, but either way, the other pic attached is the result.  It's like a big, inverted, octagonal bolt.  If it comes loose, you can simply screw it in using something big and flexible enough to hold it steady.  The washer has a couple of notches on it to keep everything oriented in the right direction.

Rear compartment locks 2019-112
Rear compartment locks 2019-111
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear compartment locks   Rear compartment locks Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2019 1:43 am

I thought the hex part was just a large "rivet" holding the latch in place. Nice accidental find. We can add that to the collective memory.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear compartment locks   Rear compartment locks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear compartment locks
Page 1 of 1