GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

engine front oil gallery soft plug size and hole

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
lamune

lamune

engine front oil gallery soft plug size and hole Empty
PostSubject: engine front oil gallery soft plug size and hole   engine front oil gallery soft plug size and hole Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2019 12:04 pm

If anyone knows the OD of the outer two front oil gallery soft plugs I'd like to validate before installing them.

1/2" plug is too small, but the 9/16" plug seems too big. But I doubt there's even such thing as a 17/32" plug!

Also I believe the hole drilled in them from the factory is .030", is that also the case?

thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
rauldelp

rauldelp

PostSubject: Re: engine front oil gallery soft plug size and hole   engine front oil gallery soft plug size and hole Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2019 5:23 pm

I just tapped it with a 1/4 npt. The hole steps down half an inch in. I don't think it'll block anything like the center one will.
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: engine front oil gallery soft plug size and hole   engine front oil gallery soft plug size and hole Icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2019 2:06 pm

I didn't get over to the shop this week to work on it, but thanks for the tip on the hole stepping down to 1/2- so then the 9/16 should be the correct plug.

The idea of tapping the hole and putting in a pipe plug was already tossed around between us but I don't want to put the block back through the washer and clean it up again at this point. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: engine front oil gallery soft plug size and hole   engine front oil gallery soft plug size and hole Icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2019 6:28 pm

Ok, just wanted to close this as we were able to get around to it today.

.030 (well, .8mm) holes drilled successfully using a Dremel drill press

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The plugs installed just fine. We got the cam, crank studs installed, oil clearances and thrust bearing clearances checked and main caps torqued down. Good progress today.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: engine front oil gallery soft plug size and hole   engine front oil gallery soft plug size and hole Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2019 12:23 pm

...and we weren't supposed to put a hole in that center plug, were we?
Back to top Go down
rauldelp

rauldelp

PostSubject: Re: engine front oil gallery soft plug size and hole   engine front oil gallery soft plug size and hole Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2019 12:37 pm

I've no idea. Always thought it was just the center one if you were going to drill one.
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: engine front oil gallery soft plug size and hole   engine front oil gallery soft plug size and hole Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2019 6:32 pm

rauldelp wrote:
I've no idea. Always thought it was just the center one if you were going to drill one.

hah! Very Happy

I should have paid more attention when I took it apart. If I had known it takes 4 months to get a block machined I certainly would have documented more carefully.
Back to top Go down
rauldelp

rauldelp

PostSubject: Re: engine front oil gallery soft plug size and hole   engine front oil gallery soft plug size and hole Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2019 11:20 pm

I don't think it's going to affect too much with the instead of one. Can't imagine you'll lose much oil pressure 👍
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: engine front oil gallery soft plug size and hole   engine front oil gallery soft plug size and hole Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2019 11:40 pm

I don't think it'll matter much either, but I'm sure if it will someone around here will say so.
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: engine front oil gallery soft plug size and hole   engine front oil gallery soft plug size and hole Icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2019 11:33 pm

If anyone looks for this later, the GM part number for the plug with the hole in it is/was 10110897. The description for the part says
the plug is .57" diameter, .25" deep and the hole is .025" (or .0635mm since small metric bits seem to be easier to come by)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: engine front oil gallery soft plug size and hole   engine front oil gallery soft plug size and hole Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

engine front oil gallery soft plug size and hole
Page 1 of 1