GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cold air intake

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
91rdmastr

Cold air intake Empty
PostSubject: Cold air intake   Cold air intake Icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2020 10:47 pm

I'm considering a cai. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Cold air intake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold air intake   Cold air intake Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2020 1:10 pm

I got a Spectre shorty carb hat (you could use the full height one as well), and 4" aluminum tubing/angles with silicone elbows/connectors from ebay. I moved my vapor recovery bottle behind the left bumper with a mount from a 94-96 (extended wires, and hoses) then put a cone filter in an aluminum box in the left front corner. I made the box from a sheet of aluminum,and pop-riveted it together. Make sure the bottle is far enough forward that it does not hit the wheelhouse extension. I also needed a spacer from a TBI car to lift the hat far enough to clear the injector tower (may not be needed with the full height one), and make a port for the hose to the valve cover. I drilled a hole for the IAT sensor to the bottom on the side nearest the wire. I also had to make a threaded post to attach the carb hat. I used a threaded rod, bent it to shape, and cut it to length. I have a cardboard template for the box. The box needed small legs to clear the wiring on the wheelhouse. I put a piece of door seal on the top to seal against the hood.

Mine runs straight front and turns across in front of the alternator, then to the box. I do have electric fans on the car, so I have lots of room for the intake. It will be tight against the coolant hose unless you run it in its original path. You would have to redesign my air box to run it in its original path, and the washer tank may be in the way. As with any custom mod, it is a little trial and error. I will try to take pics and post them.

Some people will say to use a Caddy hat, but they are difficult to get to fit, and have an oval intake that is also difficult to make work. I have tried one, and when I took it off, the nut froze to the threaded post, and I had to cut it off. I now use anti seize on the threads. Most have used sewer pipe, but over time it shrinks, and distorts at the hat junction. You could use the sewer pipe instead of aluminum tubing with the Spectre hat for a little cheaper install.
Back to top Go down
91rdmastr

Cold air intake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold air intake   Cold air intake Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2020 11:42 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing those pics. I have a piece of crystal clear rigid plastic tubing that's 1/4" thick walls and approximately 3 1/2" diameter. I was toying with the idea of using that for my intake tube.My Roadmaster is a tbi 305. It actually has decent pick up and throttle response. I discovered today that I do have the posi rearend.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Cold air intake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold air intake   Cold air intake Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2020 10:17 am

Check your gear ratio. The GU5 is 3.23, and may be the reason it has good pickup/throttle response.
Back to top Go down
91rdmastr

Cold air intake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold air intake   Cold air intake Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2020 8:41 pm

While I was changing the thermostat today I noticed I don't really have much room in the engine compartment, so I may go with an open air filter or something similar.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Cold air intake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold air intake   Cold air intake Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2020 1:20 am

An open air filter will be sucking hot air from the engine compartment. You have more room than you  may think, once you remove the OEM air intake.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Cold air intake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold air intake   Cold air intake Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2020 9:01 pm

Pics of CIA for LO3/5. I have installed the fans from a 93 FW, and removed the mechanical fan and shroud. You could route it to the left, then front with 2 45 deg silicone elbows. The silicone elbows, and aluminum tubing is available on ebay for a reasonable cost.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cold air intake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold air intake   Cold air intake Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cold air intake
Page 1 of 1