GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

cold air intake mod idea for TBI LO3 & LO5

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
buickestate
buickestate

cold air intake mod idea for TBI LO3 & LO5 Empty
PostSubject: cold air intake mod idea for TBI LO3 & LO5   cold air intake mod idea for TBI LO3 & LO5 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 11:49 pm

I've been lurking on this issue and looked at what some people have come up with, I also look at what other car companies have done to get cooler air into their engines. having a TBI LO5 gives me an inferiority complex, however I know that with a bit of money some parts and thought that I can make a nasty LO5 and keep it emissions legal.
Issue number one getting enough cooler air into the throttle Body. I've seen some rather stranges mods that look good but still suck warm/hot air from the engine bay
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I like the K&N filter but with this set up it may get a lot more air but it's still warm air.
this next set up is better, however I feel that the first K&N filter would be enough, may not look as ricer cool as this set up in the next picture but again both of these's K&N filters are still only sucking in warm engine bay air, so I'm assuming that it's only marginally better than stock.

I really like the look of the late 60's buick GS air intake, at one time I thought of buying one and addapting it to the TBI since I think it would look so cool! I've since discovered that they are rare, desireable and way out of my mod price range...

So I've looked in the engine bays of other cars at shows and such, I was impressed with the porsche 928's factory air intake....

as you can see the fan shroud has incorperated air snorkels that are sealed with the hood when it's closed. This set up suck in the cool air from under the hood just infront of the rad where the air in most cars would be the coldest and have more velocity. the air is then fed into a large flat air filter similar to the filter in the stock air intake on the TBI air box.

So I've picked up the fanshroud from a 928, I got the K&N filter that replaces the stock filter. I'm going to go with electric fans from an LT1 car and eliminate the engine driven fan, I will then using both the LT1 electric fan's fan shroud and the porsche 928's fan shroud to make a shroud that has the porsche's air intake snorkles and hood seal. I will then add a secound air intake tube on the factory air box then duct the cooler air from the porsche's air intake snorkles into the stock TBI air intake box fitted with the K&N filter.

I'm also going to install the 9C1 LO5 3" Y pipe, a 3" cat with a 3" cat back system.

this should help my LO5 Breath, don't know if it's going to cure my LO5 inferiority complex yet....
Back to top Go down
jcg5885

jcg5885

PostSubject: Re: cold air intake mod idea for TBI LO3 & LO5   cold air intake mod idea for TBI LO3 & LO5 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 4:45 pm

I'd love to have your "L05 inferiority". I've got the Ball-less L03.
Back to top Go down
SaltyDog1969

SaltyDog1969

PostSubject: Re: cold air intake mod idea for TBI LO3 & LO5   cold air intake mod idea for TBI LO3 & LO5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 11:29 pm

I like the 2nd one best. I would run a stock K&N and run the tubes as close to the radiater support, to get as much cool air as possible.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: cold air intake mod idea for TBI LO3 & LO5   cold air intake mod idea for TBI LO3 & LO5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 10:52 am

Pat:

The reality is, even with your foot flat on the floor and the throttle plate standing on its end, the maximum (not calculating efficiency loses) your engine could pull at 6,000 RPMs, is about 600 CFM. A healthy shop vac can do that.

That means that a good filter mounted in the stock location is more than sufficient. When I did the setup for the diesel, this was important as my engine intake is just an open 6 inch hole with no throttle plate to get in the way. Did a quick calculation on my "T" setup and found with two 2 1/2 inch intake pipes, and assuming my engine never saw 3,000 RPMs, I had over designed the setup by 3 to 1.

Modifying the snorkel ends to draw from in front of the rad would give you the cool air needed and the double lines would give you more than enough flow, especially if you fabbed them out of smooth ABS. Maybe it wont look as cool, though I'm sure you can make it pretty, but it would give you all the cool air you'd need.

Bill
Back to top Go down
waynes91

waynes91

PostSubject: Re: cold air intake mod idea for TBI LO3 & LO5   cold air intake mod idea for TBI LO3 & LO5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 7:34 pm

well if you had a cowl

more fresh air than you can spare
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: cold air intake mod idea for TBI LO3 & LO5   cold air intake mod idea for TBI LO3 & LO5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 7:51 pm

What is that cowl height?Looks about a 2 " in the reflection,but the image is a little distorted.
Bet it sounds good when your stomp on it'that is if you can stomp on a LO3 and notice any
thing different.
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
waynes91

waynes91

PostSubject: Re: cold air intake mod idea for TBI LO3 & LO5   cold air intake mod idea for TBI LO3 & LO5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 8:34 pm

yeah 2", does make a cool sucking sound,but really haven't notice any seat of the pants improvements,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cold air intake mod idea for TBI LO3 & LO5   cold air intake mod idea for TBI LO3 & LO5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

cold air intake mod idea for TBI LO3 & LO5
Page 1 of 1