GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Brakes pulling to the right

Go down 
+4
jayoldschool
rcktpwrd
Walterf
95BRMW
8 posters
AuthorMessage
95BRMW

95BRMW

Brakes pulling to the right Empty
PostSubject: Brakes pulling to the right   Brakes pulling to the right Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2020 8:24 am

I'm getting my 95 RMW ready to head down to Daytona, but the brakes are driving me nuts on this thing! Under moderate braking pressure the car pulls to the right, it's not noticeable under light braking.
What I've done so far trying to fix it:
Replaced both front calipers, sliders and brake hoses. Flushed and bleed fluid (both sides bleed easily, both wheels spin freely)
Inspected, cleaned and adjusted rear brakes, which were redone about 5k miles ago

After all this I don't feel any difference in how it stops. The car does stop really well but continues to pull. After washing the wheels you can see the right front wheel has a lot more brake dust on it than the other side in short time.

Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Walterf

PostSubject: Re: Brakes pulling to the right   Brakes pulling to the right Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2020 5:02 pm

Do you have ABS? Could be a faulty wheel speed sensor.
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: Brakes pulling to the right   Brakes pulling to the right Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2020 5:08 pm

Is this something that started recently?
Or has it been an ongoing issue?
Do the calipers move freely on the knuckle?
Did this happen after other work was done?

Its possible that the pads are contaminated with grease on one side...
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Brakes pulling to the right   Brakes pulling to the right Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2020 6:12 pm

The left front caliper is not working. The piston is stuck/the caliper is hung up on the sliders/there's air in the caliper/the hose is collapsed. It will be one of those.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Brakes pulling to the right   Brakes pulling to the right Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2020 9:52 pm

Check your bushings on the suspension arms. If one is worn out, it may affect the angle of the suspension arms under pressure. Loose alignment bolts, or missing shims can cause the same issue.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Brakes pulling to the right   Brakes pulling to the right Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2020 10:10 pm

That won't cause increased brake dust on the wheel that is doing all the work.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Brakes pulling to the right   Brakes pulling to the right Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2020 10:33 pm

Agree with Jay. Heavy brake dust is a dead giveaway.

Even new parts can be bad. Could be as simple as a cheap slider or more specifically the rubber they sit in.

Often overlooked by folks doing brakes is the correct lube for the slide pins and other wears surfaces..
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Brakes pulling to the right   Brakes pulling to the right Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2020 9:30 am

This is an ongoing issue since last summer which is what lead to replacing both calipers and the hoses
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

PostSubject: Re: Brakes pulling to the right   Brakes pulling to the right Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2020 4:32 pm

All good ideas, including Fred's...…...If you have any bad bushings or looseness in either arm on the right side, the braking of the rotating wheel will pull the caster setting negative and the right wheel will pull to the right...
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com
rauldelp

rauldelp

PostSubject: Re: Brakes pulling to the right   Brakes pulling to the right Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2020 9:51 am

I had it pulling to the left. Replaced calipers a year ago, no change. Yesterday new hoses, reman Ac delco calipers, new pads, and it's finally feeling more normal.

Like the others have said, maybe a bad new part.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brakes pulling to the right   Brakes pulling to the right Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brakes pulling to the right
Page 1 of 1