GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My Riviera console install

Go down 
+3
DBeaSSt
mtrhead79
WagonmasterRuss
7 posters
AuthorMessage
WagonmasterRuss

My Riviera console install Empty
PostSubject: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 1:26 pm

I finally started my console install a little while back. I posted at ISSF as well, but might as well double up here!

I'm using a '98 Riv console similar to the one installed by 95roadmonster

My Riviera console install Consoleinstall005

This how it fit before cutting

My Riviera console install Consoleinstall008

Did some triming and wiring...., as went along I realized that I had removed some plastic that I didn't need to, I will detail that later for the next person who tries this everything is fine, it was just extra work I didn't need to do.

My Riviera console install 5d9a1cd8

The console now ready for brackets
I wired up the lights, cigarette lighter (it will power my touch screen) and the power port.

My Riviera console install Consoleinstall052

Removed the 7mm screws that held the ashtray and junk box

My Riviera console install Consoleinstall040

the ashtray light will provide power to the console lights, since both are GM, they are even the same color. I will tap into the lighter to power and ground the power port

My Riviera console install Consoleinstall044

These are not needed, they are for the sissy "cant shift out of park without the brake on" solenoid
My Riviera console install Consoleinstall045

power to the lights

My Riviera console install Consoleinstall047

power to the lighter

My Riviera console install Consoleinstall051

power to the power port!

My Riviera console install Consoleinstall049

Tonight I will need to cut the Camaro shifter base down
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 4:32 pm

looks good so far. the only thing i dont like about mine is i wish the arm rest was higher
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
WagonmasterRuss

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 7:05 pm

mtrhead79 wrote:
looks good so far. the only thing i dont like about mine is i wish the arm rest was higher

And mine will be even lower because to snuggle up to the '91-'93 dash you need to lower the console. That is what stopped me from usine the riv shifter.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 12:23 pm

i cut the two mounting tabs on the riv shifter where the console bolts to, and lowered them to get it where the console sat at right height. here is a pic you can see the flat steel i welded in can also see how i welded the cable ball on shifter a 1/2 closer to the cable
My Riviera console install 2s0fzex
Back to top Go down
WagonmasterRuss

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 12:54 pm

Oh yeah,
I didn't notice that. That's good info....I figure the cable and shifter will be my biggest hurdle. One step at a time. Very Happy

mtrhead79 wrote:
i cut the two mounting tabs on the riv shifter where the console bolts to, and lowered them to get it where the console sat at right height. here is a pic you can see the flat steel i welded in can also see how i welded the cable ball on shifter a 1/2 closer to the cable
My Riviera console install 2s0fzex
Back to top Go down
WagonmasterRuss

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 9:42 am

This where I left off last night. I still need the shift cable setup but it's getting there! I wanted to be done before Wagonfest West but no dice.......

My Riviera console install Consoleinstall073

My Riviera console install Consoleinstall071
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 6:09 pm

what are you planning on doing with the spot where the cd player use to go.
Back to top Go down
WagonmasterRuss

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 7:25 pm

mtrhead79 wrote:

Welllll........
The theory Rolling Eyes is that I will move the stereo down there, move my HVAC controls up to the stereo spot and install an 8" touch screen in the space of the HVAC controls and the upper console.......
I plan to re-install my CarPC, in the meantime, I have seen Rivieras that put an optional CD player in that spot. I bet that they also had a "junk box" or something that filled the spot on the cars without a CD player. I just need to find one on eBay. If I decide later that I don't need a stereo at all (My carPc has Sat radio, FM radio and MP3) then I will probably install a CD/DVD-R drive in that spot.

But I'm pretty slow at starting new mods.............
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 7:56 pm

I really reeeeeally want to do a Riviera console. Sad Too bad I have NO IDEA what it takes...
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 10:19 pm

the rivs that dont have cd player have 4 cassette tape holder there i have 1 like that here is pic the blue one has it

My Riviera console install 64jwuo
Back to top Go down
WagonmasterRuss

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 12:38 am

Stingroo wrote:
I really reeeeeally want to do a Riviera console. Sad Too bad I have NO IDEA what it takes...

It's not really that tough, takes more thinking than work. I will do a detailed writeup when I'm actually finished!

mtrhead79 wrote:
the rivs that dont have cd player have 4 cassette tape holder there i have 1 like that here is pic the blue one has it

My Riviera console install 64jwuo

Yeah, that's right, I saw a CD holder on ebay awhile back.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 7:37 am

That would be awesome! I mean, I know it's been done before and all, but best of luck with your project.

What are you doing about the hole in the column after you delete the shift lever?
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 8:14 am

Looks great. Amazing how the Riv consoles just look like they belong there.

I was SOOOO tempted to buy the tan one mtrhead79 had at WF. But I need another project like a hole in the head...
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
WagonmasterRuss

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 8:54 am

Stingroo wrote:

What are you doing about the hole in the column after you delete the shift lever?

I plan to ignore it...... Once I pull the lever, I hope it wont bug me

DBeaSSt wrote:

I was SOOOO tempted to buy the tan one mtrhead79 had at WF. But I need another project like a hole in the head...

Do it! It isn't that hard to do. I kept an ebay saved search going until I found a Garnet red unit. Tan or gray units are easy to find.

Last edited by WagonmasterRuss on Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 8:57 am

I need a red one too, if I go through with it.

Or I could just spray this Blazer console I have with red and just keep the column shift.... Hmm.. I guess I need a power passenger seat. lol
Back to top Go down
WagonmasterRuss

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 8:14 pm

Stingroo wrote:
I need a red one too, if I go through with it.

Or I could just spray this Blazer console I have with red and just keep the column shift.... Hmm.. I guess I need a power passenger seat. lol

Nope, just cut down the drives seat. It's easy as pie. You can just tuck the extra between the seat and console until you find an interior shop to fix it up for you

Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 8:48 pm

i got rid of the bump on colum where the old shifter was. i thought it would be harder than it was. i pulled colum cut the bump of then you will see a spring in there pull it out i used a wood shim and some teflon coated material that i slid up behind the hole to support the jb weld while it dried(24 hrs) then sanded it and used a little body filler to smooth it out. i worried about doing it but it was alot easier than i thought
My Riviera console install 2s80kzr
My Riviera console install 2pouuf5
My Riviera console install Hvb2wo
My Riviera console install 117vhiw
oh before you start cutting on colum make sure to use 2 trash bags to cover up the rest of the colum. the dust will go every where including inside the colum
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 8:50 pm

mike that console was calling your name
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 10:58 pm

DBeaSSt wrote:

+1

In fact Mike and I stood there and discussed why neither of us needed another project, then I walked by it again about 6 times....
Only reason I DIDN'T buy it, is that I already have a tan blazer console waiting to go in, although the RIV console IS much nicer....and I do have other wagons....
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 11:33 pm

i think besides how they blend into the dash my favorite part is the cup holders and how they disappear
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 10:55 pm

thought i would post pic of another option for the riv console just picked it up the other day. tomorrow i will paint it and cut it to fit my car will post pics on my riv pics post.
My Riviera console install 2lo2j4k
My Riviera console install 2lvz3ti
it holds 4 cds
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 8:46 am

Wow I've never seen one like that! Cool. Smile
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 12:57 pm

this was my 1st also. the riv had a cd player built into the radio, not seperate. i cut it to fit and cleaned it up, letting it dry then i will paint it today.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: AWESOME!!!!!!   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 1:55 pm

Mtrhead that is some beautiful work!I really like how it looks like a factory installation.I have never seen that 4
CD storage compartment before either.
More Pics
Jim aka Flasheroo
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 2:12 pm

What are the years for these consoles? I have an idea for my car and I think a Riv console is perfect for it...
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 5:34 pm

WagonmasterRuss wrote:
It's not really that tough, takes more thinking than work. I will do a detailed writeup when I'm actually finish

Thank you! I just bought one today and I'm really excited to get it in. I wont be doing a shifter, partially becuase I still love my column shift, and because I plan to use the space as a rack for my CB, strobes and scanner.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 6:26 pm

thanks for compliments
Back to top Go down
93wgn

93wgn

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 5:57 am

I did the Riv console swap 2 years ago and I love it. Both consoles I have came with the cd storage. I am now in the process redoing the stereo in my wagon and just moved the radio to the console, moved the HVAC controls to the top and I have a 10" screen between the dashvents and a 5.6" screen into the rear a/c vent on the console . Also added an iPod dock into the dash and built a dvd player into the console lid. Also fiberglassed the dashpad. Stuff is still roughed in while I get the funds up to finish the project.
Back to top Go down
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 6:44 pm

that sounds cool. i wish i did not have to loose the ash tray in mine i could have added something in there but the 94 has a drop in the bottom
Back to top Go down
93wgn

93wgn

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 1:30 am

This is what mine looked like when done... Notice how mine sits higher than yours? Did you trim the bottom of the console too? I left mine alone, just removed the rear piece the the A/C vent went thru then trimmed the 1/2 moon shape to fit the floor. rmrest is the perfect hieght for me(I'm 6'5")

My Riviera console install Console1

I had to make a new indicator lense because the F body shifter didn't index with the Riviera...

My Riviera console install Lense
Back to top Go down
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 9:52 am

i cut the top off did not have to cut the bottom. i would love to have ash tray so i could put gauges in there then i could shut door to hid them when not in use. i used the riv shifter. yours looks great
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 2:26 pm

How much and where do you "trim" the console to fit? I assume from the bottom of the arm rest area? I have mine all SEM'd and ready to go, I just need to trim it.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeSat Oct 30, 2010 9:30 pm

on mine i cut the 2 mounting tabs off of the bottom rear and made my own plate to mount it and then cut the back end of console so the hump fit nice.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 10:38 am

mtrhead79 wrote:

That slot is either for a 4cd holder, or cassette holder on the models w/o factory CD. It would be a great location to add a custom gauge pod. I've seen riv guys add an equalizer there as well. Personally, I find the cd holder very convenient.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 8:41 am

For those who have done the swap, do you use the shifter cable from the riv or buy one for a 96 impala ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Riviera console install   My Riviera console install Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Riviera console install
Page 1 of 1