GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Red Car project

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

Red Car project Empty
PostSubject: Red Car project   Red Car project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2020 8:03 pm

I wasn't going to start a thread on this car, but may as well.   I only bought it while looking for values on my wrecked 94 to argue with the insurance company, but found this one.  

Here is a thread with the back story

So on to what I have done so far in 21 months of ownership:

put 3800 miles on it in almost 2 years.   I have a company car, so it's a weekender.

Replaced the AC completely.  After 18 months only to find out the OE bolt on the back of the compressor was too long.    Thread here

Red Car project Broken11

Had an issue with it dying all of a sudden.   Found out it was the ICM, after replacing the coil and a bunch of other stuff.

Had an overheating issue which was probably just the cap, but then drove it 150 miles to get home using air cooling and the radiator split too.....so replaced the water pump, coolant cap, hoses, and a new radiator.

installed a billet radiator cover and shiny hockey puck thing.

Matte black wrap on the B and C Pillars and a chrome bowtie on the bumper.

Stuff on hand to install:
2x DIN kit from Etch US along with 2X DIN pioneer head unit and new speakers.
4 Monroe SS shocks (from Jade)
Black wheels and tires from Jade (1000 miles on them)
9C1 front bar (from Jade)
Drilled and slotted front rotors (from Jade)
z-28 Cluster
Corvette covers for engine
3.08 gears and posi (took out of rear that was in Jade)

the entire t-56 swap kit (waiting until the auto dies).

Minimal stuff now, but honestly if any of this beyond the wheels, stereo and shocks get done I'll be surprised.   Motorhome and Healey are more important to me.

silverfox103 and 94Woody like this post

Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

Red Car project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Car project   Red Car project Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2020 9:20 am

Personally I would NOT install those corvette fuel rail covers, if they're the original GM ones. The B-body harness was never designed to fit into that area and if you cause cracks in the insulation while doing it, you'll start to get weird electrical problems that will be impossible to diagnose.

Just saying.

Sprocket likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Red Car project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Car project   Red Car project Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2020 10:52 am

sherlock9c1 wrote:
Personally I would NOT install those corvette fuel rail covers, if they're the original GM ones.  The B-body harness was never designed to fit into that area and if you cause cracks in the insulation while doing it, you'll start to get weird electrical problems that will be impossible to diagnose.

Just saying.

good point. I'll sell them as they are NIB with studs. also have a set used with no studs....
Back to top Go down
Dave.hays

Dave.hays

Red Car project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Car project   Red Car project Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 10:13 pm

"Had an overheating issue which was probably just the cap, but then drove it 150 miles to get home using air cooling and the radiator split too.....so replaced the water pump, coolant cap, hoses, and a new radiator."

Just FYI, something to pay attention to. If the overheating happens again (and you need another water pump), make sure you check and replace the coupler where the water pump attaches... an old/bad coupler can make the water pump fail just slowly enough to keep you thinking it's bad parts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Red Car project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Car project   Red Car project Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Red Car project
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: Longroof Tech :: Member Projects-
Jump to: