GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Finally got my AC issue fixed! Take note!

Go down 
+2
94Woody
Sprocket
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

Finally got my AC issue fixed!  Take note! Empty
PostSubject: Finally got my AC issue fixed! Take note!   Finally got my AC issue fixed!  Take note! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2020 3:33 pm

So 1.75 years ago (3300 miles lol) I bought my new to me wagon. I owned it a week and put 900 miles on it. Well 800 miles into the back to back weekend trips, my compressor locked up and got so hot I had to sacrifice a cold beer to cool it off (the grease on it was bubbling and smoking and was afraid it was going to ignite as so much smoke was pouring out while I drove it looked like a crop duster.

Anyhoo, I replaced all the important AC parts with a kit from Rock Auto (they have a couple, don't recall which one as it was a long time ago). I've done at least 10 car ACs on different makes/models and this was my third or fourth on a wagon, so not my first rodeo.

It all went smoothly and I charged it up. Car blew ice cubes and life was good. This was about 1.5 years ago. Car was giving me fits and starts with the ICM being flaky (took me like 6 or 8 months or more as it would piss me off and I'd drive the other car). So I get it all dialed in and back in June, take a 200 mile trip each way and lose a water pump (see other thread).

While I'm testing out the new cooling system I notice the AC clutch cycling too much, so check and sure enough the pressure is down. I throw a can in it. It blows cold and then I drop something on the ground and see a puddle on the ground. I think it's coolant and then it feels like oil. It's leaking out of the compressor at the back.

So cut to the chase, I'm off all last week and it's 7 days of non stop rain whiich is unusual for FL. I buckle on Wed and take it to the AC shop, and tell the guy everything.

Turns out the factory bolt was too long for the replacement compressor! Not by much by enough to no fully seal the system so as the seals just got worse and started leaking as they let pressure out. I would have gotten really pissed and never found the issue myself probably. Cost me about $375, but the system has now been pressure tested well and the rest of my work was spot on.

so go figure that one out.....stupid cars.

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Finally got my AC issue fixed! Take note!   Finally got my AC issue fixed!  Take note! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2020 6:37 pm

Glad you got it figured out. I hate messing with A/C at work.
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: Finally got my AC issue fixed! Take note!   Finally got my AC issue fixed!  Take note! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2020 7:59 pm

That's an interesting problem, would be real difficult to find yourself!
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Finally got my AC issue fixed! Take note!   Finally got my AC issue fixed!  Take note! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2020 12:25 pm

What brand compressor was it? I'm about to install a Delphi and a GPD on my two buckets.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Finally got my AC issue fixed! Take note!   Finally got my AC issue fixed!  Take note! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2020 7:46 am

sherlock9c1 wrote:
What brand compressor was it? I'm about to install a Delphi and a GPD on my two buckets.
Gotta love having an order history search  Very Happy
It blows ice cubes now

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=9824180&cc=1037483&jsn=7

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

PostSubject: Re: Finally got my AC issue fixed! Take note!   Finally got my AC issue fixed!  Take note! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2020 10:04 am

sounds like a rock auto story - something so simple, yet so not obvious in this case and yes, beyond annoying!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/followyourbliss101
sdowney717

PostSubject: Re: Finally got my AC issue fixed! Take note!   Finally got my AC issue fixed!  Take note! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2020 10:07 am

That compressor is in the worst place it could have been put for service work.
When I replaced mine, the rear support bracket I notched to slide into the bolt that secures it to the block.
My replacement worked about 1 year, then quit running, and I never looked into why, but I think it lost its charge. Never had any oil leaking.
And forget about buying a used one, when I went looking they were all defective leakers, or had bad bearings in the pulley.

Don in MO and ayilar like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally got my AC issue fixed! Take note!   Finally got my AC issue fixed!  Take note! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Finally got my AC issue fixed! Take note!
Page 1 of 1