GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

add-on horn button

Go down 
+3
Dutch Pete
lakeffect
papa
7 posters
AuthorMessage
papa

add-on horn button Empty
PostSubject: add-on horn button   add-on horn button Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2014 1:28 pm

It looks like I'll be adding a horn button under my dash. I looked for a place to drill the hole and wondered... what goes here?add-on horn button 1224141205_zps3820e3d5
Wow, I should have cleaned the pedals before I took the picture!
Evidently my wagon doesn't have an option that required a switch there. I'm thinking that would be a good place for the horn button.
Back to top Go down
papa

add-on horn button Empty
PostSubject: Re: add-on horn button   add-on horn button Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 7:27 pm

I now know that the trunk lid release switch goes there on sedans. I also learned that the original horn switches for 91-93 Chevys are still available at GM dealers. My horn contact/ turn signal cancelling cam is broken. They are available from several sources.I might replace the cam but still replace the switches with something besides the GM ones.That way I can keep the switches on the steering wheel.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

add-on horn button Empty
PostSubject: Re: add-on horn button   add-on horn button Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 9:39 am

Papa, replace the button on the wheel.

If needed in an emergency, you won't have time to reach down, find the button and press it.

Secondly, don't doubt that your natural reaction will likely be to press where the button used to be instead of where is got moved to.
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

add-on horn button Empty
PostSubject: Re: add-on horn button   add-on horn button Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 1:54 pm

Yep, they are still available directly from the GM dealers. They break on a regular basis, the last time, i ordered two complete sets.
Pete
Back to top Go down

add-on horn button Empty
PostSubject: Re: add-on horn button   add-on horn button Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 2:23 pm

lakeffect wrote:
Papa, replace the button on the wheel.

If needed in an emergency, you won't have time to reach down, find the button and press it.

Secondly, don't doubt that your natural reaction will likely be to press where the button used to be instead of where is got moved to.

Dave,you must spend a lot of time blowing your horn or cant the sheep reach the button under the dashboard? lol! Shocked The AVERAGE humans brain adapts to change quickly even yours! drunken Sleep
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

add-on horn button Empty
PostSubject: Re: add-on horn button   add-on horn button Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 2:38 pm

Time for an aftermarket steering wheel with the horn button in the middle. A nice wood rimmed wheel makes a good upgrade. Stick with a 14 inch wheel. They are the most comfortable.
Back to top Go down
papa

add-on horn button Empty
PostSubject: Re: add-on horn button   add-on horn button Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 7:08 pm

I would like to have a nice custom wheel. I have not messed with cars or trucks new enough to have air bags. Matter of fact most of my projects are not new enough to have factory seatbelts. My question is , what all is involved in eliminating the air bag?Other than obviously taking it off when the original wheel comes off. Let's see some custom steering wheels on B-body cars.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

add-on horn button Empty
PostSubject: Re: add-on horn button   add-on horn button Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 8:44 pm

add-on horn button IMG_0221
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

add-on horn button Empty
PostSubject: Re: add-on horn button   add-on horn button Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 11:07 pm

Lumina wheel is an easy swap,. looks like its factory,.

Not so sure i want a steering wheel that could cut my wrists,.  unless i had side pipes and Teepee eye,. i guess,.
Back to top Go down

add-on horn button Empty
PostSubject: Re: add-on horn button   add-on horn button Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 1:03 am

+1 for Lumina wheel. Had mine for two years now and love it.

Unplug the bag, remove the light bulb in your cluster - bam. No problems.
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

add-on horn button Empty
PostSubject: Re: add-on horn button   add-on horn button Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 1:22 am

Lumina wheel? pics please?
Pete
Back to top Go down
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

add-on horn button Empty
PostSubject: Re: add-on horn button   add-on horn button Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 7:45 am

In states that require an annual vehicle inspection, an aftermarket steering wheel is not an option.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

add-on horn button Empty
PostSubject: Re: add-on horn button   add-on horn button Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 7:57 am

phantom 309 wrote:
Lumina wheel is an easy swap,. looks like its factory,.

Not so sure i want a steering wheel that could cut my wrists,.  unless i had side pipes and Teepee eye,. i guess,.

IHAVEAWIGWAMEYETHANKYOUVERYMUCH!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

add-on horn button Empty
PostSubject: Re: add-on horn button   add-on horn button Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 8:51 am

You may be able to get special permission to remove the airbag wheel if you can not get an OEM replacement.

add-on horn button Starshipnewshiftknob_zpse24450d4
add-on horn button Whiteelephantint_zps7b468661
add-on horn button Momowheel_zps0d10ad46
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

add-on horn button Empty
PostSubject: Re: add-on horn button   add-on horn button Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 12:47 pm

The four-spoke steering wheel that was stock on chevy and gmc pickups and vans in the ten years before airbag wheels is a good choice....The black plastic goes with any interior, the wheel is 15" and the rim is slightly padded and about perfect thickness....The best part is that it fits perfectly, horn button and all....AND, it is stock chevrolet, so shouldn't piss off your annual inspector!
Disconnecting and removing the airbag is not a big deal as long as you remember to dis-connect the battery first!
My steering wheel came from a 93 Astro van. Installing it really improved visibility of the gauges! I love it!
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com
Sponsored content

add-on horn button Empty
PostSubject: Re: add-on horn button   add-on horn button Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

add-on horn button
Page 1 of 1