GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

91 caprice wagon and i want tow trailer

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
pontdog@nb.sympatico.ca

91 caprice wagon and i want tow trailer Empty
PostSubject: 91 caprice wagon and i want tow trailer   91 caprice wagon and i want tow trailer Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2021 10:05 pm

hi everyone i am new here and new to owning my wagon,i just bought it and have been searching for quite awhile and on the east coast of Canada there isn't many choices,i bought this in Ontario and had it shipped to me this week,i have a homemade camper i want to tow that weighs 2000lbs and the rpo code says it has hd suspension ,f40 and v92 is trailer provisions but what does that mean.do i need air shocks or air leveller bags or is this able to handle my trailer tongue weight of 380lbs,any advice,thanks

Last edited by pontdog@nb.sympatico.ca on Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : i am trying to post a picture)
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 91 caprice wagon and i want tow trailer   91 caprice wagon and i want tow trailer Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2021 3:27 am

It may have a load leveler system for the rear shocks. If it does not, or it is not working, you need to install air shocks, or helper bags/springs. If it has the load leveler and it is not working, you can use a port to inflate air shocks. The tongue weight is not an issue and the car can tow the trailer without issue. Auto level code is G67.

It probably has the LO3/305 and does not have a lot of power, but it is sufficient to haul the trailer. Look on the SPID inside the passenger D pillar for GU5 for the 3.23 rear. If you have it, it will make hills a lot easier.
Back to top Go down
pontdog@nb.sympatico.ca

PostSubject: Re: 91 caprice wagon and i want tow trailer   91 caprice wagon and i want tow trailer Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2021 10:51 am

thanks Fred Kiehl you are right it does have the GU5 code,now i will have to decide on whether to put air shocks or load levellers,it doesn't have a G67 code.there is alot of things that i have to go over on this car so i am sure i will have more questions to come,if i can figure out how to post pictures i will do it
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 91 caprice wagon and i want tow trailer   91 caprice wagon and i want tow trailer Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2021 1:27 pm

Your main issue will be finding a suitable hitch. The heavy duty hitches are no longer made, although there are still some used ones around. A friend of mine may have one. They can cost from $150 and up plus shipping. The correct hitch will bolt right on with no modifications. You will still need wiring. The module behind the rear storage area is part of the ABS, and has nothing to do with the towing package.
Back to top Go down
pontdog@nb.sympatico.ca

PostSubject: Re: 91 caprice wagon and i want tow trailer   91 caprice wagon and i want tow trailer Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2021 7:44 pm

thanks Fred Kiehl you are right about the hitch and have i a guy here in town that can make me HD hitch class 3 with a 2 inch receiver that mounts to a full frame car,he has built 3 or 4 different ones for cars i have had over the years,the last one was for my 65 bonneville.i want to be able to use my distribution bars again and it bolt right up this guy has been building hitches for years.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 91 caprice wagon and i want tow trailer   91 caprice wagon and i want tow trailer Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2021 8:08 pm

The hitch usually has two bolts on each side to the holes in the frame, and plates that bolt to the bottom two bolts at the base of the bumper shocks

pontdog@nb.sympatico.ca likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 91 caprice wagon and i want tow trailer   91 caprice wagon and i want tow trailer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

91 caprice wagon and i want tow trailer
Page 1 of 1