GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tailgate stuck shut

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
oldsbattlecruiser

Tailgate stuck shut Empty
PostSubject: Tailgate stuck shut   Tailgate stuck shut Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2022 8:28 pm

Hi all. Happy New Years! I need suggestions for how to fix my stuck tailgate. The problem started after I side swung closed the tailgate to not fully closed. When I tried to side swing the gate open again, the secondary lock would not release. I am able to push the gate closed to the primary lock click position, but my tailgate handle for swing down open won't budge and (for side swing open) will only disengage the primary lock - gets bound on the secondary. Are there any suggestions how I can get my gate to open and function again?

As a side note, my "Gate Ajar" light has been stuck on for longer than the gate started getting stuck. I'm wondering if the two issues are related. Thanks for the help.

-Oldsbattlecruiser
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Tailgate stuck shut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgate stuck shut   Tailgate stuck shut Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2022 1:32 pm

You can remove the gate interior after lifting the footwell cover, removing the interior handles, lock rod end, tire cover, and the storage compartment. There may be hidden screws under the bottom corners of the carpet if it is a 91-93. 94-96 have the screws along the sides. There are an assortment of rods and bell cranks inside the gate. If the wire end holders are broken, you may be able to hold the wires in place while activating the handles to open the gate.

The switch for the "gate ajar" light is located at the bottom of the right side of the tailgate, and "opens" when the gate is properly closed as a door, turning the light off. It also turns the cargo bay lights on when the gate is opened as a door.
Back to top Go down

Tailgate stuck shut
Page 1 of 1