GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tailgate Won't Shut

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

Tailgate Won't Shut Empty
PostSubject: Tailgate Won't Shut   Tailgate Won't Shut Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 9:32 pm

So apparently my wagon is not a fan of winter. Went out just now to lock the car up when I noticed the tailgate ajar light was on. Went to close it when I realized there was about 1/2-3/4" play in moving the gate up and down (as in when the gate "swings out") so now the latches won't line up. How is this fixed? I hope I don't need a new tailgate Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Won't Shut   Tailgate Won't Shut Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 10:40 pm

Sounds like you do need new hinges but not a new tailgate!
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Won't Shut   Tailgate Won't Shut Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 7:35 am

I'm not sure it's the case for tailgate's but on doors there are "pins and bushings" that wear out on the hinges. If that is the case, they might need to be replaced.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Won't Shut   Tailgate Won't Shut Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 10:13 am

Probably the lower hinge. I have been informed that the 91-93 hinges are not the same as the 94-96 hinges. You may be able to repair it. If you have to replace it, open the gate down, and let the cable/spring hold it while you are replacing the hinge. Place the replacement hinge as close to the original position on the gate, and tighten. Then put the nuts on the inside of the body loosely. Carefully close the gate until you have the upper hinge/latch latched on both sides, and then get someone (have them inside before closing the gate) to tighten the nuts from the inside, or crawl in on the bed. You do not have to worry about the linkage if you are only replacing the lower hinge/latch. If you have to replace the upper hinge/latch, you probably need the FSM to adjust the linkage.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Won't Shut   Tailgate Won't Shut Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 3:33 pm

Well, I fixed it. If not permanently, at least to get me to spring. The top latch is sticking. I soaked it with Wd-40, it still sticks a bit but can now at least open and close both ways. Come spring I'll track a latch down and swap it.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Won't Shut   Tailgate Won't Shut Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 11:34 pm

Wait....the 91-93 hinges are different? I got my lower one off a 93...my car is a 96....

Doh..

I've still not installed it yet, my Dad is using the car this week. Will check on that.

Glad to hear you got your gate working again!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Won't Shut   Tailgate Won't Shut Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tailgate Won't Shut
Page 1 of 1